Superconductor Hype

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Just saw that there is no thread here.

So what's your take on the tech news for the last few days: Everyone wishes for having an applicable, useful, futuristic "hypertech".

I saw it on youtube with the usual "tech-explainers", read in the "investment"-techbro-reddits the usual: Oh my god, which stocks do i buy, if this turns out real?"

Loads of speculations with : Yeah, super magnets for fusion, Energy-storage, efficient computer chips. Applicable Quantum-computer and so on. So much energy behind it. Everybody just wanting to see "Supertech" in action. (The last super-techs got old, i guess.)

Also: so much politics about Papers, Nobel Prizes, peer-reviews. Man would love getting the bureaucracy and EGOS out of my damn science. (Eh, to quote my old politics teacher: "Everything that involves humans becomes politics")

--

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I'll await the result of repeated experiments.

If it works: great!
If it doesn't work as well as the authors claimed: shame, but maybe something can be learnt from why they thought it would work, and therefore be improved so that it works in the future.
If it doesn't work at all and they are frauds: Awful shame, and I had no reason to get worked up about it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I'm sitting at "cautiously optimistic". It would be a big deal if true and we could use the win

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
There's these big breakthrough announcements every so while, that then fizzle, never to be heard of again, so I'm joining the 'wait and see' chorus.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Generally "high" temperature superconductors are discovered once in a while but most are pretty annoying materials to produce and work with otherwise. So i expect that even if it really turns out to be true, it wont't lead to any widespread adoption or revolutionize the grid or anything like that. It will most likely stay confined to special facilities that really need it and can put in the extra effort.