Supergirl - First look trailer impressions

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
6,438
0
0
So this is what a super hero movie/show marketed directly to females looks like.

No thank you. Try Wonder Woman again, please. Only don't let anyone who came within 100 feet of this project anywhere close to Wonder Woman.
 

crazygameguy4ever

New member
Jul 2, 2012
751
0
0
um.. no.. jimmy Olsen is not a tall, bald, mostly serious black guy.. he's an awkward white freckle kid... i know the "in thing" now is to make white comic book characters black for no reason. but enough with it.. stop changing races of characters... and while were at it Supergirl is blond... and she has a crush on him.. ... no no no,.. white girl with black guy? no.. stop. please...i think ill stick this crap.. hope it get's cancelled.. looks almost as bad as the wonder woman pilot
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
It look a tad too chickflick to be my liking (come on! You're going to mope just cos some military guy dimissed you just like that??!!)

While I appricate that it's Man of Steel but you would think he (Superman as in character, not from the movie) would at least appear in it as a cameo. Yes I know why he can't be in it but he is her cousin afterall and it make sense for him to mentor her like he did in the comic and Smallville.
 

Kristoffer

New member
Apr 22, 2015
22
0
0
- Lesbian sister
- Black love interest
- White beta cuck friendzone nerd
- Feminist boss
- Terrible action
- Cardboard character

They've checked all points on the SJW series list.

Welcome to Tumblr: Superhero Edition
 

mecegirl

New member
May 19, 2013
737
0
0
I think the timeline is different and that is why Jimmy isn't well, himself. Kara spoke to him like he was someone to respect, not like he's some kid just starting out at the Planet. Kara is 24 in this show, normally she's an teenager. Maybe in this show we are at a point where Jimmy has already had his big break and has matured because of it. That, and going on various dangerous adventures will mature anybody. Judging by the end of the trailer he looks to be a mentor of sorts. Its not necessary to always have the characters stay in the same place. Its okay for characters to mature or else you end up telling the same story over and over again.
 

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
4,595
1,332
118
Country
Philippines
I still can't get over her shit costume. It's so distracting.

And even if I did get over her costume, that was the most underwhelming trailer/sneak peek/teaser I have ever watched.
 

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
4,286
0
0
The chick-flick bits look plain dreadful. I don't hold out much hope for getting insightful dialogue and a thoughtful critique what it means to be a superbeing capable of ruling the earth instead try to serve it and help it.
Instead we get Chick-flick the Superhero. I was half expecting her to go shoe shopping and bump into Matthew McConaughey or Hugh Grant.

I also don't like how genuinely awkward she is. With Superman Clark Kent was always playing the idiot so no one would suspect him (he'd hunch over, stutter, bang into things, never look anyone in the eye - He acted the klutz yet above it all he was actually confident and in control.) Kara was always a lot more brazen the times I've seen or read of her. In fact it was usually a point of contention between her and Clark that she wasn't trying to hide her confidence.

In this it looks like Karas true personality is actually that of a useless, moping, insignificant clumsy fool. SHE'S KRYPTONIAN! Her mind thinks in super speed! she has a photographic memory! She can bench press the moon! Why is she working in a job she hates and acting like she's depressed because she's trapped in it when she could quite literally do anything?
I mean, she gets so nervous she forgets her own name while talking to Jimmy bloody Olsen! That's a whole other level of introvert that science has yet to quantify.


mecegirl said:
Maybe in this show we are at a point where Jimmy has already had his big break and has matured because of it.
And also became black? I didn't realise that's what happens to ginger people after puberty.

Maybe we are judging too harshly. We aren't the audience (It's for teen girls apparently) and maybe they will like it, but it really doesn't look anything more like a committee planned, badly written rehash of old ideas to attempt to cash in on the teen-girls market in the most stereotypical way possible.
 

mecegirl

New member
May 19, 2013
737
0
0
Hero in a half shell said:
mecegirl said:
Maybe in this show we are at a point where Jimmy has already had his big break and has matured because of it.
And also became black? I didn't realise that's what happens to ginger people after puberty.
Never said anything about the actors race, and honestly I don't care. My comments were about how Jimmy personalty is different from what we are used to. Its always Jimmy Olson the intern. Which makes sense since generally we are being shown Superman's origin story and that's how he first met Jimmy. Now we are seeing him years after that story and from a different perspective, which has the potential to be interesting.

But while we are talking about redheads, they are so overrepresented in comics! For real, real redheads are not that common in real life in the U.S. but they are everywhere in comics.
 

Guerilla

New member
Sep 7, 2014
253
0
0
Hero in a half shell said:
In this it looks like Karas true personality is actually that of a useless, moping, insignificant clumsy fool.
That's because they didn't only copy chick flick direction and music but also their insufferable cliches. She's a moping clumsy fool until she finds her true self and feels "empowered" by that experience. In season 2 she'll still be a clumsy fool for lightweight comedy purposes but she'll also feel confident and "completed".
 

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
1,840
0
0
Kristoffer said:
- Lesbian sister
- Black love interest
- White beta cuck friendzone nerd
- Feminist boss
- Terrible action
- Cardboard character

They've checked all points on the SJW series list.

Welcome to Tumblr: Superhero Edition
Wow, MRA bingo all in one post! man no one will beat that!
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
Well its not for a male demographic so thats obvious. As a show for girls i think it works well. Though i would have to watch the show to get those clips in context. I know people hated the scene the army guy tells her to make coffee but think its their to mimic her boss. In that she has zero self-confidence an the boss constantly picks on her. Then when she goes to the soldier as supergirl, she has confidence but he treats her the same way an we realise she isnt confident in who she is. An that may be a part of the first few episodes when she gains self confidence in who she is as a person and as Supergirl. Sounds like an interesting character element. People can identify with that.

Will wait till the show and watch every properly instead of little clips with zero context. I did like the stuff with the plane rescue and there seems to be plenty of fights on the show with aliens. So this could be good, i just think its not geared towards adult males.

Some have wanted a Wonder Woman show. But im glad they didnt as she already has a movie and JL stuff lined up. An do we really want another actress as WW? Hasnt there already been 2 versions of a WW tv shows? Im glad that DC are getting out of their comfort zone and branching out abit and taking risks.
 

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
1,618
0
0
I'm just reminded of that SNL Black Widow trailer. Layman, I am not excited.
 

Guerilla

New member
Sep 7, 2014
253
0
0
SonOfVoorhees said:
Well its not for a male demographic so thats obvious. As a show for girls i think it works well. Though i would have to watch the show to get those clips in context. I know people hated the scene the army guy tells her to make coffee but think its their to mimic her boss. In that she has zero self-confidence an the boss constantly picks on her. Then when she goes to the soldier as supergirl, she has confidence but he treats her the same way an we realise she isnt confident in who she is. An that may be a part of the first few episodes when she gains self confidence in who she is as a person and as Supergirl. Sounds like an interesting character element. People can identify with that.
Sounds like half of the chick flicks I've ever watched. How on earth is that interesting? This is the equivalent of the hero walking away from an explosion and not looking back in dudebro flicks.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
8,577
2,952
118
So now the S isn't the word for hope anymore, it's a family coat of arms?

And the obligatory sexist/racist male figure for her to struggle against is there? Well, I guess some progress that he isn't a white guy. Equal opportunity assholes, yay.

I wouldn't mind this too much, if it wasn't so Ugly Betty/Devil Wears Prada-esque. I just personally don't find that type of show all that interesting, and if that's going to be the "human" aspect of the show, I'll skip it.

And isn't Jimmy Olson supposed to be an awkward dork? This guy doesn't seem to be very awkward, or dorkish. Seems like they made her love interest guy the dork of this equation.
 

Spaceman Spiff

New member
Sep 23, 2013
604
0
0
This does absolutely nothing for me. But at least it gets a female superhero some time in the spotlight.

Happyninja42 said:
So now the S isn't the word for hope anymore, it's a family coat of arms?
I don't think this has any connection to the movies, same as the other DC live-action shows.
 

mecegirl

New member
May 19, 2013
737
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
So now the S isn't the word for hope anymore, it's a family coat of arms?
Actually the meaning has changed a few times. Originally it was just something he and and Kent's made up for a Superman symbol. Later it was written in the original movies to be the crest of the House of El, and the comics and cartoons followed suit. And then after that it was written in the comics to be the symbol of the word hope(and that the EL family chose it as their crest). So no one is wrong. If anything they are just reverting to a previous meaning for the s symbol.

Supposedly when the crest is upside down its supposed to mean resurrection...so yay SuperJesus.
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
Guerilla said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Sounds like half of the chick flicks I've ever watched. How on earth is that interesting? This is the equivalent of the hero walking away from an explosion and not looking back in dudebro flicks.
It gives the character issues to deal with, thus making her more human and relateable. An thats interesting. An many will like that. This whole series might be aimed at woman an not men so that could explain it. So im not at all surprised at the chick flick stuff. But all we have seen is 6 minutes of an entire series. But atleast we know there will be action, fights and plane rescuing going on. I guess we will have to wait for the show to be released.
 

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
8,577
2,952
118
SonOfVoorhees said:
Guerilla said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Sounds like half of the chick flicks I've ever watched. How on earth is that interesting? This is the equivalent of the hero walking away from an explosion and not looking back in dudebro flicks.
It gives the character issues to deal with, thus making her more human and relateable. An thats interesting. An many will like that. This whole series might be aimed at woman an not men so that could explain it. So im not at all surprised at the chick flick stuff. But all we have seen is 6 minutes of an entire series. But atleast we know there will be action, fights and plane rescuing going on. I guess we will have to wait for the show to be released.
The problem with that statement in my mind, is that it implies that this is the only kind of thing that women would be interested in. Chick flick stuff I mean. Now yeah, lowest common denominator of interest, it probably is true, if your aiming to attract the largest number of viewers, but still, personally, I wish they could show her doing something different. Female protagonist who is doing something not fashiony/entertainmenty would be a fresh change.
 

mecegirl

New member
May 19, 2013
737
0
0
Happyninja42 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Guerilla said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Sounds like half of the chick flicks I've ever watched. How on earth is that interesting? This is the equivalent of the hero walking away from an explosion and not looking back in dudebro flicks.
It gives the character issues to deal with, thus making her more human and relateable. An thats interesting. An many will like that. This whole series might be aimed at woman an not men so that could explain it. So im not at all surprised at the chick flick stuff. But all we have seen is 6 minutes of an entire series. But atleast we know there will be action, fights and plane rescuing going on. I guess we will have to wait for the show to be released.
The problem with that statement in my mind, is that it implies that this is the only kind of thing that women would be interested in. Chick flick stuff I mean. Now yeah, lowest common denominator of interest, it probably is true, if your aiming to attract the largest number of viewers, but still, personally, I wish they could show her doing something different. Female protagonist who is doing something not fashiony/entertainmenty would be a fresh change.
It is actually just as well. Past versions of Supergirl showed an interest in fashion. She used to design and change her own costumes often. Cat Grant (Supergirl's boss in this show) has always written either the gossip column or the entertainment column at the Planet. And there is a storyline where Grant figures out Supergirl's identity but ends up keeping it to herself after Supergirl helps her with a Toyman related villain. (Also toyman is responsible for killing Grants son so there is a connection there). But before Supergirl rescues her they had a bit of a Spiderman/J.J. Jamison sort of relationship. I do wonder if they will pursue that in this show. Eitherway it isn't like they have to force the "fashony/entertainmenty" stuff with these characters.