Supergirl pilot has leaked and it's absolutely terrible

Kargon

Sep 15, 2014
Found this in another site and couldn't agree more with the impressions. The episode is absolutely awful and full of not so well disguised preachy feminist bullshit.

Cringeworthy SJW dialogue? Check:

Random waitress:
Can you believe it? A female hero! It's nice for my daughter to have someone like that to look up to!

Supergirl:
If we name her Supergirl, something less than she really is doesn't that make us anti-feminist?

Generic villain:
-In my planet females bow before males
Supergirl:
-This is NOT your planet!

Leader of super secret good-guys organization:
-She's not strong enough!
Supergirl's sister:
-Why, because she's just a girl? That's exactly what we're counting on!

very subtle, you idiots...

Grey's anatomy dialogue, music and drama: Check. The first ten minutess was an unholy union of Grey's anatomy and Devil wear Prada.

Super-***** boss who treats people like subhumans being a female role model: Check

Friendzoned loser male friend? Check

Supergirl whining and crying like an annoying character in a chick flick? Check

But worst of all was the action, direction and story. It couldn't be more generic and stupid, it's like the actual villain arc is there to supplement the Grey's Anatomy shit.

Welcome to what happens when SJW idiots create something, a generic and boring steaming pile of shit aimed at stupid tumblrinas as the target audience.

Kargon

Sep 15, 2014
Bob_McMillan said:
Links please?
Even though pilot episodes are usually being leaked by the companies themselves to check viewers reactions, it's still a grey area so I can't link. It's in every torrent site though, you can easily find it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The 6 minute trailer was basically an abbreviated version of the pilot from what I gathered. Every conflict, every resolution is right there, just without the filler scenes. That said, did I expect this to turn into another CW "men are either awkward or hot, women are dorky or dominating" flick? Absolutely. Cuz we all know the real world is just like high school. I'll be groaning through the whole thing, audibly and loudly I'm sure. I may consider it a personal challenge to see how much of the show I can bear. This show is written and produced by the creators of almost every CW drama, past and present. So I expect it to be simultaneously empowering to women and insulting due to overreliance on common tropes the CW crew practically perfected. ***** boss? check. Perfect best friend? Check. Awkward main character? Check. Dopey boyfriend in a women's world? Check and check. It'll be like watching a trainwreck, so perhaps with that in mind I might find some entertainment value.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Considering what Arrow turned into after its pretty abysmal opening few episodes, I'm still willing to give this a chance. The writing that wasn't cringworthy was entertaining (though they really should redo the opening narration), the action was pretty good and the majority of the cast were likeable/watchable.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Finally watched the trailer last night and my first reaction was to laugh out loud at how shit it looked.I'll probably still check it out though as I don't like to judge things without giving them a fair go first

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Argh! The whole point of Feminism is to make it so that gender isn't an issue. This pilot (assuming the synopsis is valid) is doing nothing but making gender an issue. If they want to have a properly Feminist Supergirl show, nobody in-show should care about her gender. Have her go around, do all her superhero stuff, fight villains and whatnot and have her gender not matter. It really is that simple.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Veylon said:
Argh! The whole point of Feminism is to make it so that gender isn't an issue. This pilot (assuming the synopsis is valid) is doing nothing but making gender an issue. If they want to have a properly Feminist Supergirl show, nobody in-show should care about her gender. Have her go around, do all her superhero stuff, fight villains and whatnot and have her gender not matter. It really is that simple.

You're talking about first-wave feminism, maybe second-wave too before the post-modernist nutjobs took over (even though there were crazies there too just not nearly as prevalent). Modern feminism is all about identity. EVERYTHING that you are is defined by identity and thus their disgusting "women are victims of men" mentality.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Veylon said:
It's to make it that gender isn't an issue eventually. That's going to involve acknowledging it as an issue in the here and now.

Of course, that's not to say whether or not this particular show did it well.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Veylon said:
It's to make it that gender isn't an issue eventually. That's going to involve acknowledging it as an issue in the here and now.

Of course, that's not to say whether or not this particular show did it well.
Are you saying that pointing to bad behavior in a preachy manner is really helpful in making gender a non-issue? Because it's not.

Bad preachy plots in media do two things: Supergirl is going to both get defended by blind identity politics types, along with being decried as token and stereotypical. When instead they could have made a strong character that acknowledges the issue simply by being a strong, well rounded, upstanding character who doesn't focus on their gender as some sort of handicap. Examples of good values are what add to the common good and help us get past stereotypes, highlighting the stereotypes reinforces them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Are you saying that pointing to bad behavior in a preachy manner is really helpful in making gender a non-issue?
Only if you are going to equate "acknowledging an issue" with "bad preachy plot" for some reason.

Again, I'm not saying Supergirl did, or did not do this well. I've not seen it (actually, wouldn't saying I had seen it be an admission of piracy?). I am saying that acknowledging an issue isn't automatically a problem, even when the end goal is the issue not needing to be acknowledged anymore.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Are you saying that pointing to bad behavior in a preachy manner is really helpful in making gender a non-issue?
Only if you are going to equate "acknowledging an issue" with "bad preachy plot" for some reason.

Again, I'm not saying Supergirl did, or did not do this well. I've not seen it (actually, wouldn't saying I had seen it be an admission of piracy?). I am saying that acknowledging an issue isn't automatically a problem, even when the end goal is the issue not needing to be acknowledged anymore.
What I'm saying is that in the case of portrayals in fiction all acknowledging the issue gets you is a pandering, token, and stereotypical character who reinforces the bad behavior. Does that make sense? Weaving social and political issues in to plots in a ham-fisted way just alienates people.

Kargon

Sep 15, 2014
When instead they could have made a strong character that acknowledges the issue simply by being a strong, well rounded, upstanding character who doesn't focus on their gender as some sort of handicap.
Funny you say that because the actual character is a whiny, insecure, crying girl. Not to mention that they made the show mindnumbingly stupid and simple to cater to female audiences.

It's the bigotry of low expectations, they treat women like idiots who would only like a weak female character and then preach about feminism and equality. Pretty much sums up feminism nowadays.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
thaluikhain said:

If it's anything like what is being told here, I think we can agree that's it's gonna be preachy. And you said that it was just acknowledging the issue. Not that hard to put the two together.

And I'm going to have to agree that acknowledging the issue beyond a comment here or there is very much unnecessary and that it will drag down the show. The stupid stuff from pilots tend to stay through the series, Gotham and Flash still have Barbara and Iris, who are both incredibly frustrating characters that keep doing "I DID IT TO YOU, I DON'T DESERVE YOU DOING IT TO ME" crap, Arrow still has Oliver jumping a bit between "I QUIT" and "I MUST PROTECT THIS CITY", and even SHIELD has Sky, I don't think I really need to go into detail there.

And this is a character that isn't all that well known, Flash and Green Arrow people could point to and say they remembered seeing them around, Supergirl? Just gender-bent Superman fanart. Even if she's just another universe's version of Power Girl(I may be misremembering).

Making her pilot this heavy-handed is beyond unnecessary and delves into the stuff that people hate alot about a couple certain comic companies headfirst. All it's gonna turn into if it actually is like this is going to be a bunch of people defending with a certain vocabulary, and a bunch of people that want it off the air because it betrays the spirit of the character in some way, and another bunch of people that just want to watch it without the heavy-handedness of the "acknowledging of the issue".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What I'm saying is that in the case of portrayals in fiction all acknowledging the issue gets you is a pandering, token, and stereotypical character who reinforces the bad behavior. Does that make sense? Weaving social and political issues in to plots in a ham-fisted way just alienates people.
There's an important caveat in your last sentence which is needed in your first: "in a ham-fisted way".

There's nothing inherently wrong with putting social and political issues into stories, a lot of fiction is built on it.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
thaluikhain said:
There's an important caveat in your last sentence which is needed in your first: "in a ham-fisted way".

There's nothing inherently wrong with putting social and political issues into stories, a lot of fiction is built on it.
Only thing I can do is point towards the TV series Castle, as an example how to do this shit without being a preachy, whiney little git.

Detective Kate Becket is in my top three of favourite female characters in TV dramas. She's strong-willed, resourceful, quick-witted, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, she isn't a bloody soapbox character.

She's awesome because of her achievements, not because some feminist shite on some random blog says she's important. Note that I described the characteristics that make her an awesome character without listing her gender as one of them. That's the kind of character that'll solve this gender-issue. Not one that hammers everybody over the head with a picket sign (this iteration of Supergirl), but one that gets shit done (Detective Kate Becket).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Redryhno said:
If it's anything like what is being told here, I think we can agree that's it's gonna be preachy. And you said that it was just acknowledging the issue.
No, I did not say anything of the sort.

thaluikhain said:

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Zontar said:
Remus said:
But Supergirl isn't airing on CW, it's airing on CBS
Never said it was airing. I said it had the same writers. Everything about the show screams "generic CW crap", except yes, it's airing on CBS.