Supergirl pilot has leaked and it's absolutely terrible

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Hoplon said:
Guerilla said:
I'm not the type that gets offended easily but comparing this trash with Daredevil is sacrilege. How dare you!

Seriously though dude, how can you compare a show with excellent, interesting characters, pacing, dialogue and atmosphere with this amateurish Grey's Anatomy crap?
Mostly to illustrate something it has to measure up to and in this singular episode at least fails to do so (and i'm pretty sure sets up a monster of the week shtick, which is not great) but by enlarge it's about some one deciding to do good for it's own sake. not some horrible "I'm so super EMO" of Arrow, or the "we are the bureau of superheroes, could you fill in these forms in triplicate?" which AoS saddled us with. Flash is similar, but it's monster of the week format is annoying.
Daredevil's first episode was great. Arrow and Flash weren't as bad as people are trying to make it look like to defend this atrocious pilot. Arrow might have had its "CW moments" as I call them but it's nowhere near this Grey's Anatomy lowest common denominator crap. The episode was insulting my intelligence and panders to the worst kind of female audience.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I'm disappointed primarily because I've always really liked supergirl as a character.

She's got the power and goodness of superman, but has enough inexperience at the start of her career to have those imperfections which make an interesting character.
She also has a sense of fun which experiences and the burden of such responsibility hasn't driven out of her.
Even when she's further along her journey, an experienced hero, she still manages to keep that sense of fun.

On a related note, I do hope one day we'll see a live action iteration of the Titans.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Jux said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
It still doesn't make what she said at all rational or correct. Even in the broadest and most accepting terms I can muster, I still can't condone even the tiniest things she says, even in broader context. This is why I can't take feminism as a whole seriously. Lots of good ideas. Totally tarnished by insane people who get their platform by shouting others down.
While Dworkin wrote some pretty influential stuff, I don't think you'll find many people now that accept her ideas wholesale. Speaking of things we can't take seriously, I can't take people seriously when they trot out that line. You uncritically accepted ravenshrikes quote without a second thought, and when presented further information, you handwaved it away. And then you used that to broadly dismiss feminism as a whole. It's a copout reaction, and you can apply it to any kind of philosophical or political stance when you cherry pick how an individual acts instead of examining the underlying ideas.
Oh trust, me my distrust of feminism as a movement comes from more than that one quote, it's just an example of what has soured me on the label as whole. I see all sorts of objectionable things from all over feminism as a movement. There are plenty of great ideas, but there are plenty of people who gain the majority of good will, but then espouse things like Trans exclusionary view points. As smaller core movements that do specific things I can get behind, those smaller groups who actually aren't trying to wield feminism as a political weapon.
Now I get to be the guy defending feminism in one thread and MRA in another, weee! There are a lot of competing scools of thought in modern (3rd Wave) feminism that do include some very terrible ideas and marginalization of men, women and trans folks. However, the works of even those considered influential should not be taken as a reason to reject a movement. Instead, the core ideollogy of the movement should be the basis for accepting/rejecting it. I accept feminism and champion it because it has good core ideollogy and work to convince those outside of the movement and just as importantly, within it, what should be accepted by the movement and why.

In short, just because some feminists are jackasses, crazies, misandrists and bigots does not mean we should gettison the good work done by the movement. If you want better feminism, be a feminist and confront the bad parts because scraping the whole thing is wasteful.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Is Jimmy going to be a love interest for Supergirl? If so then it doesn't do well for the pro-woman thing when they use the same cliche as all romcom. The slightly awkward girl who gains attention from the hunky, handsome man. Isn't that the same trope with Disney movies where every girl looks for the good looking prince?

Anyway. I will give the show a chance, though it seems the show isn't aimed at me and more for a young female audience. An im fine with that. Cant expect everything to be made to suit everyone. It is why we have awesome stuff like Daredevil, or would you want Daredevil to be aimed at a more wider audience?

Captua: no way (see, captua answered for you. ;-))

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
This is just more proof that DC does not know how to make good superhero movies/shows and that the first two Nolan Batman movies truly were lucky flukes. DC, or the people they put in charge of their media department just do not have the necessary skills to hire the right people to do this kind of work, and from Green Lantern, to Man of Steel, to the train-wreck that Dawn of Justice looks like it might be, to this, it shows.

Does anyone remember when the pilot to that last Wonder Woman show got leaked? She was some kind of fashion designer, the dialogue was horrendous and the whole thing was so terrible the series got dropped like a hot rock as soon as impressions of the pilot started rolling around. If this is real, then this is nothing new or surprising. DC just has a bad habit of handing their second-tier characters off to total hacks.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
rcs619 said:
This is just more proof that DC does not know how to make good superhero movies/shows and that the first two Nolan Batman movies truly were lucky flukes. DC, or the people they put in charge of their media department just do not have the necessary skills to hire the right people to do this kind of work, and from Green Lantern, to Man of Steel, to the train-wreck that Dawn of Justice looks like it might be, to this, it shows.

Does anyone remember when the pilot to that last Wonder Woman show got leaked? She was some kind of fashion designer, the dialogue was horrendous and the whole thing was so terrible the series got dropped like a hot rock as soon as impressions of the pilot started rolling around. If this is real, then this is nothing new or surprising. DC just has a bad habit of handing their second-tier characters off to total hacks.
Man of Steel was the best superhero movie I watched the last couple of years with action that eclipses anything Marvel has done and the first two Barman movies simply set the tone on how to make serious superhero movies. Arrow and Flash know they're just dumb fun shows -nothing too deep- and well, have fun with it. I'll take DC movies over Marvel's generic Hollywood crap any day.

The Supergirl property was just given to the wrong people who happen to be SJW cynical morons, don't use this as an excuse to bash DC in general.

LeathermanKick25 said:
...did I watch a different version of Arrow from everyone else? I don't recall the typical cheesy CW shit. I recall a tortured and scarred guy with a clear case of PTSD kick ass.
The direction, shots of the mansion and the drama/acting reminded a lot of crappy CW dramas at first. Having said that, people focus too much on those scenes which were secondary and forget that the Arrow pilot was pretty damn good overall.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Kargon said:
Random waitress:
Can you believe it? A female hero! It's nice for my daughter to have someone like that to look up to!
"Because my daughter is a sexist who doesn't care about the good deeds people do unless they're women". Seriously why does sharing a gender have to be a requirement?

You know what this is, it's just a message to Hollywood, they're trying to act like most girls think this way. They want to see more women superheroes and to do this they act like it's a noble cause and a social ISSUE rather than a personal preference that they aren't being catered too.

That and I'm guessing there's a bit of "oh it's not me who has a problem with male heroes, it's the little girls, definitely not me."

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
You know when I hear "strong female character" it sets off a red flag. Because usually when the creators describe their characters that way they mean "we're using this character to give a lecture to the audience".

And this reeks of it.

The script just has to constantly remind the viewer "Hey I'm a woman kicking ass, I'm a woman kicking ass. Acknowledge that women can kick ass all you hypothetical sexists out there." Nobody cares that you're a woman, just shut the fuck up and kick ass. You ever see Smauel L Jackson's characters point out that he's a black dude kicking ass and you don't see those that often? No. How about any race? Also no.

And beyond that it's pointless, anyone who thinks women are weak and can't kick ass in real life, won't be convinced by a piece of fiction unless they're a child.

Also bit of a tangent but why does everyone act like a good character means a strong character? A character can be interesting even if they're weak, indecisive and cowardly.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Oh hey a new superhero tv show, I wonder what the comments are like...

Oh gawd.

OT: I haven't seen it, however I'm anticipating a mean girls/superman mash up. If it has an agenda, fine. As long as it isn't hilariously over the top shoved in my face, Arrow had anti-capitalism going on in the 1st season but it was balanced out by the fact that... well... Oliver queen was himself a millionaire. Flash doesn't seem to have much of an agenda.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I'd ratehr see her kick-ass and everyone treat it as perfectly normal. No one's running around pointing out that Black Widow's a woman since it's... rather obvious. She kicks ass, she's part of the team and everyone sees it as totally expected. Avenger's would be much worse if every 5 minutes the dialogue felt the need to point it out.

That said, yes girls can look up to male heroes and see them as role models. However, that shouldn't be a reason why we don't have more female heroes either. There's more in the Marvel and DC universes than people seem to want to give it credit for but as far as currently running superhero shows go this will give us... 1. Hope it doesn't suck but it does sound like it's headed that way. Give it a chance people, Arrow, The Flash and Agents of Shield blew chunks when they started and all of them have basically gotten better.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Plinglebob said:
Considering what Arrow turned into after its pretty abysmal opening few episodes, I'm still willing to give this a chance. The writing that wasn't cringworthy was entertaining (though they really should redo the opening narration), the action was pretty good and the majority of the cast were likeable/watchable.
Really? Because Arrow is 3 seasons in and is still pretty fucking abysmal.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
Plinglebob said:
Considering what Arrow turned into after its pretty abysmal opening few episodes, I'm still willing to give this a chance. The writing that wasn't cringworthy was entertaining (though they really should redo the opening narration), the action was pretty good and the majority of the cast were likeable/watchable.
Arrow has received excellent reviews, has a decent viewing audience, has been nominated and won multiple awards, has two direct spin offs and now an indirect spin off (Since I doubt Super Girl would have gotten green lighted without Arrow, excuse the pun) after only three seasons.

'Abysmal' is probably a bit strong of a word to use.

No, captcha, Wally West is red. Queen is green.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Plinglebob said:
Arrow has received excellent reviews, has a decent viewing audience, has been nominated and won multiple awards, has two direct spin offs and now an indirect spin off (Since I doubt Super Girl would have gotten green lighted without Arrow, excuse the pun) after only three seasons.

'Abysmal' is probably a bit strong of a word to use.

No, captcha, Wally West is red. Queen is green.
Terrible CW dialogue, horrid action sequences, bad acting, Laurel fucking Lance (the most god damn annoying character in television history). Yeah, it's so wonderful. It wouldn't be absolutely terrible if it wasn't 24 episodes per season, thus cutting out all the filler crap. Really, the only good thing I can say about the show is Felicity Smoak is hot.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Kargon said:
It's not out of context, the problem is that she asks such a retarded question in the first place that borders on Jezebel levels of trying to create drama out of nothing. The writers could have skipped the whole question but they didn't for a reason, to preempt their SJW friends from being offended by nothing. Not to mention that the answer isn't about the moronic question, it's just an even more idiotic rationalization where a middle aged woman pretends to be a girl to explain Supergirl's name. Plus what does that say about Supergirl when she's such a whiny moron?

The stupid dialogue in the end was equally pathetic too, the sister practically gets offended out of nothing and assumes that the general was saying that Supergirl will be defeated because she's a girl WHILE SUPERGIRL WAS GETTING THE SHIT BEATEN OUT OF HER. Reminds me of how feminists assume stuff so that they can play the victim. There have been countless scenes in superhero fiction where the secondary character assumes that the hero will be defeated, only in this one it's assumed it's because of gender because the moron writers tried to inject their childish agenda.

So given all this I think the spin you put in those quotes to try to make excuses for the embarrassing dialogue is the one out of context.

Context

The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood:

The parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning:

as your quotes do not contain the whole conversations they fail the second part , and as the tone reason and why they are saying them is also omitted they fail the first criteria.

your quotes are literally out of context.

i wouldn't say i did defend it , i called it trash and bad. all i did was put the quotes into context and disagree with you about it being the product of idiot SJW's. i simply think your taking too much offence to what is in my opinion simply sub par writing and acting and not a bunch of SJW's spraying there neurosis all over a TV show.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Ya know, they probably put the "But you're a girl! Leave it all to the boys, and get us coffee/sex!" in not for the sake of making Super Girl look better, rather to show that there's actually people like that, and help show that that BS is not all that popular. Makes them look like jerks, villains, etc. and that's more the point.
Coz,lets be real, that mentality is alive, and well, and it's part of the reason women are a minority in medias. There are guys that hate women for being women. When these people that look down at Super Girl (Almost wrote power girl. Don't I wish. <.<) change their tune, and be more tolerable, it might send a message to the people with that mentality. they don't have to change, but i we generate more acceptance, then it's better than none.

The reason the gendered derrogatory speech sounds stupid is largely because it is stupid, and some people need to understand that more than others.
Womenstill have to fight for acceptance in areas of the world, and there's nothing wrong with highlighting it, imo.

captcha: main chance
I know that works into things somewhere.

Kargon

Sep 15, 2014
zumbledum said:
Context

The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood:

The parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning:

as your quotes do not contain the whole conversations they fail the second part , and as the tone reason and why they are saying them is also omitted they fail the first criteria.

your quotes are literally out of context.

i wouldn't say i did defend it , i called it trash and bad. all i did was put the quotes into context and disagree with you about it being the product of idiot SJW's. i simply think your taking too much offence to what is in my opinion simply sub par writing and acting and not a bunch of SJW's spraying there neurosis all over a TV show.

The phrase 'out of context' is used to explain a fallacy where the poster picks and chooses a sentence that in the context of the full text/article/dialogue has a completely different meaning. The meaning and intent of the writers here is the same even within the context of the dialogue. It's a pathetic agenda-driven effort to inject the victim-complex mentality of SJWs in popular entertainment.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
rcs619 said:
I'm going to assume this has leaked as early as it has because someone on the team rightfully thought it was awful and leaked it to sabotage the project. I mean jesus fuck is it bad. The episode is baaad, and that trailer is not something inviting me to watch the damn show.

I don't understand what the fuck is going on at DC, the DCAU is universally beloved and to a lot of people is the definitive version of the characters, but what DC has going on now? I don't even know what it is. They can't even keep some sort of cross continuity (and instead intentially muddy it) between the properties and they're owned by fucking Warner Brothers, they hold all the cards!

You've got the Movie Universe with its own Jimmy Olson, Superman, Batman and Flash, the Arrow/Flash universe with it's own version of the Batman rogues gallery, Harley Quinn and Flash. Then the Supergirl universe is fucking seperate from that with its own Superman (who for some mind boggling reason most likely is NOT going to present) and Jimmy (sorry, "James") Olson and the Gotham universe seperate from that! That's fuckin' mental. At least keep the TV shows in the same continuity. Use them to build up to Justice League! They're playing with four seperate continuities already and we're barely out the door!

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Mikeybb said:
I'm disappointed primarily because I've always really liked supergirl as a character.

She's got the power and goodness of superman, but has enough inexperience at the start of her career to have those imperfections which make an interesting character.
She also has a sense of fun which experiences and the burden of such responsibility hasn't driven out of her.
Even when she's further along her journey, an experienced hero, she still manages to keep that sense of fun.

On a related note, I do hope one day we'll see a live action iteration of the Titans.
TNT is working on a Titans show.