Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
thaluikhain said:
Are you saying that pointing to bad behavior in a preachy manner is really helpful in making gender a non-issue?
Only if you are going to equate "acknowledging an issue" with "bad preachy plot" for some reason.

Again, I'm not saying Supergirl did, or did not do this well. I've not seen it (actually, wouldn't saying I had seen it be an admission of piracy?). I am saying that acknowledging an issue isn't automatically a problem, even when the end goal is the issue not needing to be acknowledged anymore.
What I'm saying is that in the case of portrayals in fiction all acknowledging the issue gets you is a pandering, token, and stereotypical character who reinforces the bad behavior. Does that make sense? Weaving social and political issues in to plots in a ham-fisted way just alienates people.
Hardly. In fact, pretending that things like race, gender, sexaul orientation, religion aren't factors when it comes to inequality is often how these prejudices can thrive. Nothing is apolitical. All art is propaganda and sticking our heads in the sand and acting like thse issue don't exist won't make them go away. The goal is to acknowledge and accept differences not turn a blind eye to them.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
WhiteNachos said:
Kargon said:
Random waitress:
Can you believe it? A female hero! It's nice for my daughter to have someone like that to look up to!
"Because my daughter is a sexist who doesn't care about the good deeds people do unless they're women". Seriously why does sharing a gender have to be a requirement?

You know what this is, it's just a message to Hollywood, they're trying to act like most girls think this way. They want to see more women superheroes and to do this they act like it's a noble cause and a social ISSUE rather than a personal preference that they aren't being catered too.

That and I'm guessing there's a bit of "oh it's not me who has a problem with male heroes, it's the little girls, definitely not me."
Given that a number of people have complained about the lack of superhero movies and tv shows with female leads, I don't see how you can think this is something Hollywood just made up.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Agent_Z said:
Given that a number of people have complained about the lack of superhero movies and tv shows with female leads, I don't see how you can think this is something Hollywood just made up.
What is that number exactly? Because the only people I've seen whining about this shit are the usual suspects and their media lackeys.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Not sure what you mean by the usual suspects. Regardless of how large a number you think it is (and isn't it funny how it's always dismissed as a 'vocal minority' when it's something we don't agree with) the lack of female superhero ones present in movies and TV shows is a glaring one that needs to be corrected. This show isn't perfect but it's not the train wreck most people on this board are calling it and it's a step in the right direction.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Aerosteam said:
Random waitress:
Can you believe it? A female hero! It's nice for my daughter to have someone like that to look up to!
Isn't that a little bit sexist? Like, how come Superman can't be a role model for her daughter?
Because Superman is a man and according to TERFs men can't be role models for women and girls, or really anybody. Still women can be role models for women and girls, along with maybe men and boys, but nobody cares about the latter two. At least according TERF logic, since TERFs have the loudest platform they get the most say.
Wow, TERFs I had to google that one. Do they really get much of a platform? I mean granted I do feel like this seems to sum up a lot of the stereotypes that a lot of feminists get lumped in with. Are these TERFs Normally self proclaimed? They seem like extremists no matter how you slice it.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I remember getting a little miffed at the Brave trailers because it played out the "I'm a girl and I'm doing boy things look at me" thing a bit heavily. It ended up being a bit more than that but was still a major plot point. I still sorta have problems with it on those grounds. I think a trailer for it played in the runup to The Secret World of Arrietty NA theatrical release and Arrietty felt like more of a feminist concept.

If you want to see what a feminist movie looks like, you can pretty much pick out any Studio Ghibli movie and you probably won't go wrong. And they're not even trying that hard to be feminist. Even the The Wind Rises, a movie set in 1930s Japan with a male protagonist has a bit of a feminist streak with one of the characters, and it just feels natural seamless. That's why Brave seemed so overplayed and trite, Ghibli had already been doing this crap much better since the 70s, reliably.

I didn't mean this post to be entirely Ghibli worship but that's how it's turning out. Anyway, the point is that women should be able to be strong, capable leads without having to self-refer to that fact constantly. Especially if you're going for role models for kids, sending the message that a girl doing something strong is exceptional is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Agent_Z said:
WhiteNachos said:
Kargon said:
Random waitress:
"Because my daughter is a sexist who doesn't care about the good deeds people do unless they're women". Seriously why does sharing a gender have to be a requirement?

You know what this is, it's just a message to Hollywood, they're trying to act like most girls think this way. They want to see more women superheroes and to do this they act like it's a noble cause and a social ISSUE rather than a personal preference that they aren't being catered too.

That and I'm guessing there's a bit of "oh it's not me who has a problem with male heroes, it's the little girls, definitely not me."
"A number of people", well I suppose that's technically accurate, but doesn't tell us much.

And there's a big difference between "I want to see female superheroes" and "I can't enjoy/relate to/learn from/look up to male superheroes". It's like me saying I want to see more car combat games, doesn't mean I don't enjoy other genres.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Agent_Z said:
Not sure what you mean by the usual suspects. Regardless of how large a number you think it is (and isn't it funny how it's always dismissed as a 'vocal minority' when it's something we don't agree with) the lack of female superhero ones present in movies and TV shows is a glaring one that needs to be corrected. This show isn't perfect but it's not the train wreck most people on this board are calling it and it's a step in the right direction.
The lack of female superheroes or action protagonists is simply because of the fact that the main audiences for action/superhero movies are men. I mean look at the Grey's Anatomy monstrosity they created here in order to appeal to women. Like others said, the action seems secondary to this romcom crap so they might as well have made a Devil Wear Prada TV show.

Not to mention that by nature men are better at and more prone to violence or fighting (nothing to be proud of tbh) which makes male superheroes more convincing. Sorry to burst the bubble of SJWs but this is the reality proven by science and facts, a reality they're desperately trying to avoid.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
WhiteNachos said:
Agent_Z said:
"A number of people", well I suppose that's technically accurate, but doesn't tell us much.

And there's a big difference between "I want to see female superheroes" and "I can't enjoy/relate to/learn from/look up to male superheroes".
It's easy to interpret that waitress's comment like the latter. But I do believe the show as drawing attention to the disproportionately large number of male to female leads in superhero movies and tv shows. Perhaps if she'd said "Finally, a woman my daughter can look up to" it would have been better. Like I said, the show's not perfect but it is trying.

And really a little social commentary doesn't hurt. It's how the X-Men and Nolan Batman movies got popular after all.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kargon said:
Found this in another site and couldn't agree more with the impressions. The episode is absolutely awful and full of not so well disguised preachy feminist bullshit.

Cringeworthy SJW dialogue? Check:

Random waitress:

Supergirl:
If we name her Supergirl, something less than she really is doesn't that make us anti-feminist?

Generic villain:
-In my planet females bow before males
Supergirl:
-This is NOT your planet!

Leader of super secret good-guys organization:
-She's not strong enough!
Supergirl's sister:
-Why, because she's just a girl? That's exactly what we're counting on!

very subtle, you idiots...

Grey's anatomy dialogue, music and drama: Check. The first ten minutess was an unholy union of Grey's anatomy and Devil wear Prada.

Super-***** boss who treats people like subhumans being a female role model: Check

Friendzoned loser male friend? Check

Supergirl whining and crying like an annoying character in a chick flick? Check

But worst of all was the action, direction and story. It couldn't be more generic and stupid, it's like the actual villain arc is there to supplement the Grey's Anatomy shit.

Welcome to what happens when SJW idiots create something, a generic and boring steaming pile of shit aimed at stupid tumblrinas as the target audience.
Surprise level: 010

After that trailer I decided to run and never look back. Its pretty annoying tbh. When they finally have the opportunity to make an interesting FEMALE lead...they go and goof up.

I am brought to think about the early comics of Supergirl...how silly they were. With the stereotypical female bs. Its ironic to me that we havent progressed that much. Even if women today are different they still manage to make a caricature of her.

Falling_v1legacy

No one of consequence
Nov 3, 2009
SJW is the hot sauce of explanatory power; it goes with everything. Is there any particular reason that this is specifically a SJW effort as opposed to typical Hollywood 'strong female.' Because they've been doing this for years. A lot of tv shows and movies are poorly written, superhero films included. I don't particularly care for superhero projects, so I'm not exactly put out if this is of poor quality- I liked Agent Carter (perhaps more so because it has a much shorter cycle then typical American seasons), but didn't care to watch Arrow, Shield, or Daredevil. I mean, we got Green Lantern, Catwoman, Ghost Rider films. I'm not sure I would blame the feminists so much as, while there are some people that know how to bring superhero stories to the big or small screen, there are a lot more that do not. And that is true of any adapted story.

Apr 5, 2008
Has anyone considered the possibility that, unlike with Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Daredevil and whatever other superhero shows are out there, this one isn't being targeted at men at all, but instead is aimed at young girls? In the same way He-Man and She-Ra were aimed at young boys and girls respectively in the 80s, this show looks aimed at young/teen girls.

It doesn't have to be for everyone, it doesn't have to speak to superhero nerds and comic geeks. It doesn't need to be dark and gritty, it doesn't need mass market appeal. It's entirely possible to make a show for a niche/target audience, particularly if there's nothing else currently to fill that niche.

Just as how romcoms and chick-lit are targeted at women, so to does this show have a target audience in mind. If it doesn't appeal to you, perhaps because you're a man older than 20, then consider that this show isn't made for you. There are plenty of others that are.

Apr 5, 2008
Aelinsaar said:
inu-kun said:
I wonder what it would be like if people made a show with an asian star like a chick flick, he'll have a white karate practicing friend and when he'll want to do something helpful people will say to him "maybe make yourself useful and make some pork dumplings".
Go watch some 70's television, and minus the "star" element you'll see all of that you could possibly want. I guess if you want an Asian star though, that's pretty much Bruce Lee... doing martial arts. So... pretty much "pork dumplings".
So you haven't heard of Bollywood? Asian cinema from India that makes more movies and more money than Hollywood ten times over.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Kargon said:
zumbledum said:
Context

The circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood:

The parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning:

as your quotes do not contain the whole conversations they fail the second part , and as the tone reason and why they are saying them is also omitted they fail the first criteria.

your quotes are literally out of context.

i wouldn't say i did defend it , i called it trash and bad. all i did was put the quotes into context and disagree with you about it being the product of idiot SJW's. i simply think your taking too much offence to what is in my opinion simply sub par writing and acting and not a bunch of SJW's spraying there neurosis all over a TV show.

The phrase 'out of context' is used to explain a fallacy where the poster picks and chooses a sentence that in the context of the full text/article/dialogue has a completely different meaning. The meaning and intent of the writers here is the same even within the context of the dialogue. It's a pathetic agenda-driven effort to inject the victim-complex mentality of SJWs in popular entertainment.
only if its used incorrectly. and no , in context there were light hearted silly or just plain weak writing. it takes the filter of your perception to twist it into whatever the fuck it is your banging on about.