Superman Quits America, Fox News Readers Take the News Badly

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Wow, now I've seen everything. Superman renouncing his US citizenship and a normal Fox News article. It's the end days I tell you :)

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Good Fucking gawd...The Right in this country makes my head hurt. Anything that doesn't toe their hypocritical line is an attack from the imaginary Elitist Left...Sorry. Stopping rant.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
Especially since his character is a Canadian creation.

I don't understand how according to alot of Americans it seems that they are the only country that stands for peace and freedom. The freedom part I find ironic with the amount of privacy infringing bills that the previous US government tried to pass.
Doing my best not to make this a political thread, but look at what the US is pressuring the world into now with ACTA, the Patriot Act, the war on Terror, the war on Drugs, etc.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I actually find this to be one of the few interesting turns in Superman's character I've heard about in a long while. I think it's only part of the natural progression of his character that he become more globalized and less attached to his US roots. After all we're not in the Cold War era anymore so we don't need the "I win" Superhero to officially be on our side anymore.

I'm siding with DC on this; Superman saves everyone not just US citizens. I'll be interested to see where such a decision will take the character; that is if DC doesn't filch out and write it off as a non-cannon minisode.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
GiantRaven said:
thaluikhain said:
Nominally...most of the time his bakstory is irrelevant and he's very much a USAlien, no pun intended.
Let's say Krypton was, for example, Mexico. Mexico blew up and Mexican Baby Supes ended up in Smallville, Kansas. Nothing else is changed, he's still given the same boy scout values and grows up to be the Superman we all love; would the people getting all up in arms about this still claim it was anti-American? Somehow, I doubt it.
One way to find out, I'll get a writer and you blow up Mexico.

I think they would, though, the nominal backstory country isn't so important. Various "American" hero/ine s aren't technically US citizens, but that tends to get overlooked.

Jatyu

Insane Faceless Stranger
Sep 1, 2010
The really funny thing is that these people don't actually care about Superman.

When was the last time they bought a comic?

People have a habit to treat Superman as something that can't be changed, yet has been changing for years. These people don't care, they just think Superman is theirs.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Gindil said:
Harbinger_ said:
Especially since his character is a Canadian creation.

I don't understand how according to alot of Americans it seems that they are the only country that stands for peace and freedom. The freedom part I find ironic with the amount of privacy infringing bills that the previous US government tried to pass.
Doing my best not to make this a political thread, but look at what the US is pressuring the world into now with ACTA, the Patriot Act, the war on Terror, the war on Drugs, etc.
What's the ACTA?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
How DARE a superhero, a paragon of virtue and righteousness, stand up for what he believes in.

The nerve of some people.

Is this because people wanted to see his birth certificate?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Okay, seriously what the fuck is up with bolding every other word in a character's sentence in comic books?

Seriously, it's really annoying to read unnecessary emphasis on words that don't need emphasizing! Can someone explain to me why this crap keeps going on?

OT: That's interesting, it does give Superman a more global appeal and less centered on a single country's interest. Also, I don't know whether to consider those comments funny or sad.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
FOR FUCKS SAKE, LEAVING AMERICA TO HELP THE WORLD DOESNT MEAN YOU HATE AMERICA. IT MEANS THERE GOING FOR A DIFFERENT STORY AND GLOBAL APPEAL.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. People have to have something wrong with them if they think this is some "liberal propaganda" or whatever. He's leaving America to protect the rest of the world, and so he's not seen as a tool for the US. That doesnt mean you hate America. It means you have a mindset for the rest of the world.

Seriously, there's better stuff to be upset about and to blog about. Let the nerds keep to the comic books. It has nothing to do with anything political, so why is Fox concerned about it?

MoriartyCylon

Oct 26, 2009
It's Fox and their followers, no surprise there.
This is a good thing. I'm not an american, yet I love that damn country. So much good comes from there (burgers, anyone?) yet one thing I'd love to see irradicated is patriotism, not just from americans.

What's there to be proud of? So you were lucky enough you parents bumped uglies on american soil? Big deal!
So you could be the shittiest human being alive, but as long as your a patriot, you have something to be proud of?

Back on topic, I love comics and I've always been a supporter of "Hero of the World" rather then "Hero of America" or "whatchamacallitstan."

I like my superheroes unbiased when it comes to the whole saving thing. I'm sure even Captain America wouldn't fight in a war he deemed inhuman even if that meant going againt America.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I wasn't aware that Superman was a U.S. citizen. Color me surprised.

Okay, so I don't read comics, but doesn't Supes spend a majority of his time in the U.S. (or space)? And I thought he made it a policy not to get involved in the troubles of man because he doesn't think we should rely on him for all our problems. Things like war. So, besides stopping bank robbers and punching alien invaders in the face, what does he do that could seem like an extension of U.S. policy to begin with?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
I actually find this to be one of the few interesting turns in Superman's character I've heard about in a long while. I think it's only part of the natural progression of his character that he become more globalized and less attached to his US roots. After all we're not in the Cold War era anymore so we don't need the "I win" Superhero to officially be on our side anymore.

I'm siding with DC on this; Superman saves everyone not just US citizens. I'll be interested to see where such a decision will take the character; that is if DC doesn't filch out and write it off as a non-cannon minisode.
Is that a pony, I can't tell it looks like a dog.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
About time! He's been wearing my nation's flag flag since the '30s and it took him this long to realize it's not just the American way he's standing for. Slow Clark, very slow.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Actually, I'm pretty taken aback by this myself.
Superman is one of those things people think of when the word "America" is used. Certainly, he didn't have to be purely American for the character to work, but it's just a part of the development over all these years...hell even his costume is pretty damn 'Americana'.

Another transition from US to UN? Much like G.I. Joe before them. Again, as a non-American, I really didn't understand why the GI bunch had to STOP being American...

It's like if Danger Mouse denounced his British citizenship to solve crimes internationally. Yes, I would be a bit pissed off about that. Not terribly, but a bit.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
This globalism shit its going to be the death of the world.

Also I can't wait to see the writers try to get them self out of this one. Its going to be the whole spider-man wedding deal all over.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
GiantRaven said:
I love how Superman, a character who wasn't even born on this planet, not being American is considered 'anti-American'. I wonder if people who think that are the same people who think Obama isn't American enough to be president.
I am often amazed at the ridiculous and narrow minded view of the people who generally post on this site. The character was created as a symbol of honor, justice and freedom. It was created in America for an American audience.

The crux of the article and the attached comments is the absurd liberal ideology being pushed on us by the mainstream media outlets and how bad it actually is for the people of this country. America and Americans have done a lot of good in the past 230 years, and like pretty much EVERY other country on the planet we have also done are share of things that aren't so great. But the notion that we somehow need to be more sensitive to the "feelings" of the rest of the world is nonsense.

I get why DC is doing this, they have a big movie coming out next year and they are positioning Superman as more of a fantastical character than as an American icon. From a business standpoint, makes perfect sense. But let's not pretend that there is some altruistic reason for a change like this. Seriously, how often did it really come up, the fact that Superman was an American? Was his national affiliation really that important to the story? Other than destroying lots of property on American soil, was there ever any question that Superman was just kind of living here? That his goal was to protect the PLANET and not just Americans?

So in the end, other than to drum up some publicity, soften his image for international markets, and in general change something completely irrelevant to the character, who really cares.

And I am sorry, but most of the people who post on the boards don't know enough about anything going on in the media to comment on FOX, CNN or any news outlet and be taken even a little bit seriously.