Superman Quits America, Fox News Readers Take the News Badly

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
is America being whiney and entitled again? wake me when something new happens.

I swear Ive heard Americans use the term "American" in place of "Human" far too many times for my liking

superman isnt american he isnt even human ... hell he isnt even real

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
Well clearly Superman is now implementing his secret Muslim Kryptonian plan to destroy the Earth! SEND ME HIS COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS! MEDICAL INFO! HIS PHONE LOGS! INTERNET ACTIVITY! STOOL SAMPLES!

ryo02 said:

I swear Ive heard Americans use the term "American" in place of "Human" far too many times for my liking

Americans whining? I'm American. I'm not whining. I like the idea of Superman stomping douchebags worldwide. We already have Captain America, and he is better than Superman.

Don't claim we're all the same, or the cause of your fucking problems. To think that you're from anywhere that hasn't exploited others shows you aren't honest, are a hypocrite, and don't acknowledge basic historical fact.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Three points:

1. Did Superman ever have American citizenship? He's an illegal alien!
2. "American Way" didn't follow the famous "Truth, justice" line until the aftermath of Pearl Harbor.
3. Joe Shuster, who was one of Superman's co-creators was a born and raised CANADIAN citizen! Eventually he became a naturalized U.S. Citizen, but not until long after.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
airrazor7 said:
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
The internet award of reason goes to this guy.

So superman was created by a Canadian. I never knew that, thank you. That knowledge now makes this situation humorous and ridiculous to me and all the people who are shouting anti-American seem even more idiotic now.
Well, the complete truth is a Canadian - Born designed and an American wrote him. In the end though I like to believe a point is still made. Superman didn't just come from one place, he came from two.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
Enslave_All_Elves said:
ryo02 said:

Americans whining? I'm American. I'm not whining. I like the idea of Superman stomping douchebags worldwide. We already have Captain America, and he is better than Superman.

Don't claim we're all the same, or the cause of your fucking problems. To think that you're from anywhere that hasn't exploited others shows you aren't honest, are a hypocrite, and don't acknowledge basic historical fact.
There's not a lot of difference between being whiny and unnecessarily angry.

Also Superman could totally destroy Captain America in a fight... If either of them were real.

Felis Leo

Apr 30, 2008
This is so stupid. And by that I mean that the reasons Superman gives for renouncing his American citizenship, as well as the reactions to his renouncing his citizenship are stupid. Apparently, the Man of Steel who was not afraid to wear the love of his adopted homeland on his sleeve during the Cold War, when the stakes were the possibility of total nuclear annihilation, is now so worried that his actions will reflect poorly on the United States and have unforeseen repercussions.

Pardon me, but this just seems to me like the author is trying to drum up sales by drumming up controversy around an iconic comic book character, which Superman hasn't really had since he "died" back in the 90's. What's next? Captain America becomes a disillusioned expatriate and seeks to attain Swiss citizenship?

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
He's not an American he doesn't even have a flag on his head!!
-Bandit Keith

Good point Bandit Keith. He wasn't born in our country so he is technically an illegal. I guess we should be glad that he landed in Kansas and not Arizona or his name may be Miguel Sanchez instead of Clark Kent.

Anyways, its nothing political, Clark is just upset bc he put some money into US bonds and now he realizes that they are going to be worth nothing bc of America's debt issue.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Can Superman be considered a US citizen to begin with? He doesn't even live in the fucking US. He lives in his crystal fortress in Antarctica or something right?

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Razhem said:
also, please stop, using America for everything US related, you don't represents Canda, Mexico, Panama and so on, you people aren't America
Oh. I've been meaning to say that for a while, thank you!

America is a continent, people. Remember?

FangShadow said:
IBut it's because I love my country, I can be critical of it(by that I mean the people running it, both democrat and republican)
That is by far the best reason to be critical of your own home/town/nation/world. To bring its flaws to the fore and possibily help mend them to improve the whole.

It takes an special kind of open mind to pull that off.

FangShadow said:
But, to be honest, the comic fan is me has another big part of my view in this.I find supes to be a bit of boring character. Thus, part of me believes, this may be an attention grab. One of the first thoughts, I had when I read this..

"This is most interesting thing superman has done for me since he's died....yeah..."
Yeah. I always thought of Superman as a wated potential, as far as characters go. A man with massive super powers, strong sense of fairness and a journalist all at the same time?

So much space for character and plot development.

Oh,
Asuka Soryu said:
I like that Superman represents America and was invented by a Canadian. xD
Ahahahaha, irony can be a beautiful thing.

Necromancer Jim said:
Because if you help anyone other than America, it means you hate them.

I think we can openly see that these people are fucking idiots.
We can. Not all of us do, though.
Necromancer Jim said:
Because if you help anyone other than America, it means you hate them.

I think we can openly see that these people are fucking idiots.
We can. Not all of us do, though. :sigh:

Necromancer Jim said:
What's next? Captain America becomes a disillusioned expatriate and seeks to attain Swiss citizenship?
Not to such extremes, but I heard that his comic's 60's run definitely portrayed him as disillusioned about his country, making him kind of popular with the protesting college crowd.

PureLocke

Jan 18, 2011
^ It switches between the poles depending on how often he rebuilds the thing and weather it's the comic, cartoon, or a movie.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
yeah why is this news? so what?
so now he can protect Canada and everyone else around the world!
It is not always about America!

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Seeing as I cannot post my usual pic due to this being slighty interesting to me,here's something pleasant to look at.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Superman's loyalty has always been to the entire world. If it wasn't, then how come there were comic books published where he fought The Nazis long before America was even interested in entering "Europe's War"?

And yes, I know his creators were Jewish and this was what motivated that, but it still stands that the character of Superman has stood for justice EVERYWHERE in the world, and not just America or American policy since his inception, so it's not like this is anything new. Besides which, Superman lives in a universe where Lex Luthor was once President of the United States. It's not like it's the same America we have in our world.

Milkman Dan said:
How many people "upset" over this actually read a Superman comic book? I'm going to guess, few to none.
Isn't this always the case? *remembers Mass Effect sex scene scandal*

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Wait a minute...

Since when did he even HAVE to have Citizenship? Surely, throughout the ages in both comic, movie, tv series/cartoons and whatever other medium he's been shown in, he's saved the world and many countries OTHER than the USA any countless number of times...

Why would he ever have needed to tie himself to one country? And (in some of the universes) doesn't he have different bases to live in that AREN'T the USA? Like his polar caves (I forget if they were Arctic or Antarctic) in the old movies and the Justice League space station/s...

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
No surprise.

It's been a growing phenomenon in the comic-book industry to insert ham-handed political screeds into the mouths of various superheroes. And while once these screeds were superpatriotic in nature, most of that was a direct result of World War II.

Marvel kicked the current mess off with its "Civil War", which was about as much a one-sided straw-man rant about right-wing fascism as Rush Limbaugh's rants about empty-headed liberalism. We got to see Captain America reduced to a witless tool who couldn't even elucidate on the existing right-wing talking points of the day, let alone construct an argument of his own.

He provided nothing more than a punching bag for --- ironically enough --- the quite fascistic "Superhero Registration Act" which actually drafted American citizens into permanent federal service for the sin of having superpowers. Who needs free will and volunteerism when we can just sic Iron Man on you, and have him give you a lecture while he's at it about how you're a Tea Partier if you're resistant to the idea?

So it seems the pendulum of political pontificating has not been done away with, but instead has been commandeered by those on the left who feel that now it's "their turn" to do the very thing they despised from the right --- indoctrinating America's youth with their version of social values.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, for those who care? Superman arrived on Earth as an orphaned baby and was ADOPTED by American citizens. Yes, that's legal, and yes, there's precedent (though kind of obviously involving babies from other countries as opposed to other planets). But since Clark Kent and Superman are the same guy and Clark ISN'T renouncing his citizenship, the whole thing is pretty hollow as a political statement.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
PureLocke said:
Tdc2182 said:
He now needs a suit that looks like the Earth.

Somebody get on that, quick!
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-05-03-captainplanet1.jpg
Found it, even has the super-mullet.
Well done sir, I award you with a cholocate chip cookies may they always taste awesome.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I believe Penn Juliette has a something to say to these idiots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnIZWw98uwM&feature=related