Superman Returns vs. Man Of Steele

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Where did they go wrong? That's hard to summarize. They both had issues, but personally, I actually really liked Superman Returns. It had elements of the heroic champion of earth in it, swooping in to save the day in a dramatic way, which I loved, and felt was very true to the Superman core.

If I had to pick at issues with Returns, it would be that it was a fairly boring movie in a lot of ways, as far as the action and dramatic tension. It didn't maintain the tension throughout the entire movie. It would spike pretty well for me at parts, but then fumble that good feeling, with some dull dialogue and uninteresting situations.

I still stand by Returns being a decent movie, that was enjoyable as a Superman movie, despite it's flaws.

Man of Steel. *sighs* Honestly, I don't know how to really narrow down what I didn't like about it. The whole "He doesn't kill" thing, I didn't really have much issue with in the movie. At least not the Killing Zod scene that everyone loses their shit about. I don't know how, but everyone seems to forget the scene before that where Superman killed a ship filled with embryo/baby Kryptonians, committing genocide on his entire race. This bit seems to slip under everyones radar somehow, but snapping Zod's neck....OMG BURN THE DIRECTOR FOR BLASPHEMY!! *rolls eyes* Zod at least deserved it for his actions, but that ship full of babies were quite literally innocent of any wrong doing, and he just burned them all. Whether Superman had a "No Kill" policy or not, that action would be reprehensible to me no matter what.

As for the other stuff, it kind of suffered from the same problems as Returns for me, of just not really holding my interest. The scene where Pa Kent just fades away into the tornado like a fucking ghost was just beyond stupid. I remember laughing out loud in the theater when it happened, it just looked so dumb. I remember not giving two shits about their version of Lois Lane, and her "I'm Bitchy Because I Wan't To Be" attitude. It just fell short on a lot of angles that I hoped it would nail. Yeah it was an origin story, but it didn't have any real heroic rescue/saves the day moments like other Superman movies do. The only one was the oil rig scene, which was good, but one scene like that, in an entire Superman movie? Come on.

As for S v B coming soon, I really just don't care. I know comic fans practically orgasm in their pants at the thought of those two icons fighting each other, but I just really don't give a shit at all for it. It feels forced, and artificial to have them fight each other, simply to sell issues of comics, and it's just become a thing of fandom that is beyond stupid. I hope the "versus" aspect of the movie is played down a lot in the actual movie, and they actually spend most of the movie, working together against something else. If it's just a two hour long visual representation of the tired internet argument of "Who Would Win? Supe or Bat?" Then I might just walk the fuck out of the theater.

Edit**

Actually, I think that trailer is tricking everyone, and that the dialogue lines we hear about a man standing up to a god (or whatever it was they said exactly) is a trick of using different dialogue with different scenes. I think the bit where it appears to be Batman saying "Does a god bleed? You will." Was probably going to be a bit of dialogue from the actual villain of the movie, and they just put it up at the same time they showed Bat and Supe giving each other sexy, loving stares in the rain. I suspect that scene is actually Bat and Supe meeting to discuss how to fight whatever real threat is there, and thus the Dawn of Justice angle. Anything else, IMO, is just stupid fanservice for a stupid fight.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Man of Steel. *sighs* Honestly, I don't know how to really narrow down what I didn't like about it. The whole "He doesn't kill" thing, I didn't really have much issue with in the movie. At least not the Killing Zod scene that everyone loses their shit about. I don't know how, but everyone seems to forget the scene before that where Superman killed a ship filled with embryo/baby Kryptonians, committing genocide on his entire race. This bit seems to slip under everyones radar somehow, but snapping Zod's neck....OMG BURN THE DIRECTOR FOR BLASPHEMY!! *rolls eyes* Zod at least deserved it for his actions, but that ship full of babies were quite literally innocent of any wrong doing, and he just burned them all. Whether Superman had a "No Kill" policy or not, that action would be reprehensible to me no matter what.
False. He destroyed the birthing chamber but there were no embryos in it. The ship would've allowed them to birth new Kryptonians, but they still needed the codex to make any, which they didn't get before Superman escaped.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I recall seeing dozens of floating children in that ship. They make a point to talk about them being the templates for the kryptonians

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
I recall seeing dozens of floating children in that ship. They make a point to talk about them being the templates for the kryptonians
But they're not alive. They're like eggs without the sperm.