Superstitions You Personally Have

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Mine tie into getting really sick afterwards. They are:

1. Do not use bread as a substitute to a hot dog bun when making hot dogs.

2. Nerd Ropes are devil food.

What are yours?

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
What do you mean that sleeping with your legs outside of the blanket isn't inviting monsters to come and eat your feet in the middle of the night? What's that? Monsters can't eat my feet? Monsters don't exist? Psshaw.

It's probably some silly superstition I carried over from childhood, and it actually makes more uncomfortable than scared to sleep with my legs uncovered by the blanket. But it's still a superstition. There are probably a few others I have, but I can't really think of them right now. I'm a pretty idiosyncratic person.

EDIT: Oh, thought of another one. I hate it when people make jokes about airplane crashes when we're about to get on an airplane. Maybe it's because in the movies talking about disaster is sure to invite it, and I know realistically that the number of plane crash jokes told prior to a flight won't effect anything, but it still just gets me. Makes my foreshadowing senses tingle.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I don't walk under ladders or scaffolding, although that is partially because there is a real (small) danger that something might fall.

When I say something like "it couldn't get any worse" I knock on wood if it is around, just because.

Mumbly

Dec 26, 2014
If I turn the lights off, I only have three seconds to get to bed or I'll be brutally murdered by what lurks in the darkness. Oddly enough, that doesn't apply to being outside at night, even if it's pitch-black.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I always apologize out oud when I break wind if I'm by myself. Call it courtesy taken to extremes.

Mr.Mage

Dec 18, 2014
The classic superstition that bed covers protect from the foulest monsters when the light goes off. I don't think anyone grows out of that unless they're made of titanium.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Uuh, I dunno if you count OCD? Because my OCD makes me believe dumb shit I KNOW doesn't matter? And I have a long list of those.
Including very specific ways of walking in rooms that have rugs, or certain obsessions with numbers, or things I need to do when walking up stairs...
And I'm sure I believe things that are not true and don't even know.

ChaoshadowZero

Nov 11, 2009
I feel like mine are superstitions that many people have- don't walk under ladders, and the whole knock on wood thing.

Also, the itchy palm thing- I've never had proof that it's true but I never scratch my right palm if it's itchy and always scratch my left; it's like a habit at this point.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I was hoping that some of the other posters would remind me of any superstitions I have.
No such luck though, and I don't really think I have any at all.

Unless you count hoping that you really really have superpowers or are some sort of long-lost alien..
Hoping that is, but I know it's (sadly) not true.

Oh, oh..I remembered one thing that could count as superstition.
I have "lucky numbers". If I have to chose something with numbers, lets say a lottery ticket, I have 5 numbers I always choose.
Yet, I know that those aren't more lucky than any others really, I just like those numbers. Oh well.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
erbkaiser said:
I don't walk under ladders or scaffolding, although that is partially because there is a real (small) danger that something might fall.

When I say something like "it couldn't get any worse" I knock on wood if it is around, just because.
What if knocking on said wood causes a chain-reaction that makes something fall on you? Dangers are everywhere!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Mumbly said:
If I turn the lights off, I only have three seconds to get to bed or I'll be brutally murdered by what lurks in the darkness. Oddly enough, that doesn't apply to being outside at night, even if it's pitch-black.
I think you've played enough Don't Starve for one lifetime.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
When I was a child my grandmother was very adamant about me not walking over manhole covers (while babbling about it bringing bad luck or something) and half the people I know keeps knocking on things (wood?), but none of this stuck with me. I've always strived to maintain a logical and rational approach to my life, so superstitions are really not my thing.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Don't play with Oija boards and the like, it's like leaving the door wide open during mosquito season. Satan probably won't pop in, but smaller trouble is still trouble.

Oh, and don't store breadloafs upside down.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Some part of me really wants to believe in karma and fate.

I just want to believe those people who do horrible things get comeuppance someday. It's comforting.

And I guess I just like to apply more meaning to the little things...I really like the number 17, for example, because I see it a lot.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Mine is quite simple: If it has a face, don't be near it in the dark. Especially don't turn your back on it!
This applies to paintings, pictures, mannequins, piles of clothes that LOOK like faces and many other things. Why? Because they'll do some nameless evil to you of course.

Apr 25, 2009
I've never had the guts to do the Bloody Mary thing.

I believe that 'ghosts' are real. I doubt that they are anything as silly as the souls of the dead trapped in this mortal realm. I don't know what they are. Pan-dimensional beings, beings that exist on a wavelength of light we can't percieve but flicker into our range every now and then. We are blind little worms to the vast, vast majority of the information swimming around us that we cannot perceive.

I'm inclined to sort-of maybe sometimes believe in the soul, need to think on it more though.

Darkness is a source of anxiety for me, even in the safety of my own room.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Digi7 said:
I've never had the guts to do the Bloody Mary thing.

I believe that 'ghosts' are real. I doubt that they are anything as silly as the souls of the dead trapped in this mortal realm. I don't know what they are. Pan-dimensional beings, beings that exist on a wavelength of light we can't percieve but flicker into our range every now and then. We are blind little worms to the vast, vast majority of the information swimming around us that we cannot perceive.

I'm inclined to sort-of maybe sometimes believe in the soul, need to think on it more though.

Darkness is a source of anxiety for me, even in the safety of my own room.
Wow I was going to mention the Bloody Mary thing. Ninjas can strike in the strangest of places.

OT: Yeah I don't exactly *believe* in ghosts and stuff but I don't see a reason why they CAN'T exist I'm not going to go ghost hunting but I mean it would be much more interesting if ghosts and spirits did exist so why not give them a small chance?

And yeah because of that small amount of *almost* belief in ghosts is exactly why i'm not standing in front of a mirror chanting Bloody Mary. What do you want to try it? Thought not.

I'm lucky as hell too, maybe it's due to my always optimistic attitude but when things start going bad it all ends up righting itself somehow. I wonder if I have a whole previous life's worth of luck built up or something. Reincarnation is cool as fuck, i'll believe in that. I like to believe in alternate universes and stuff too but that's hardly superstitious now since Stephen Hawking himself has gone on record saying that parallel universes may well exist.

Basically, i'll believe in anything that sounds interesting.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Would someone explain what on earth this "knocking on wood" thing is all about? Everyone here seems familiar with it simply by mention yet I've never heard of such a thing.

As for superstitions i have, well, if we are extending it to things like not eating certain types of food because of bad experiences then i probably do have some tendencies that could be labeled as such, but i can't think of any off the top of my head. I don't have any real superstition superstitions like belief in good and bad luck or worrying about supernatural entities.