Surprise! Authorities Investigating Looters' Swag Pictures On Facebook

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I don't want to appear as being a total ignorant, but I'm not from the U.K. ... WTF is going on there? why are people rioting? I could google it... but I'm sick of biased information.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
you know what i'd do? deploy the armed forces, ALL of them. just march them up the street and watch the bastards flee and any that stick around i'd have them tied to the lamp posts for 3 days as a warning

i would simply not tolerate this if i were in charge of a country.
these people are doing nothing to stop these riots, the looters see no downside to their actions and they will continue to grow in strength until they either get bored, sate themselves or get the disciplinary action that they deserve for ruining other people's property, lives, security and general well-being

it's SICK and those people need to be punished

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i changed my opinion. with so many arrest stories of fagbook i now deem fagbook worthy of existing. even if only to easy police job.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
benvorbeck said:
Bobbity said:
If we needed any more confirmation that the internet is making people stupid, or at least making that stupidity blatantly obvious, then here it is.
yes, and maybe the escapist and other magazines are giving THEM a good headsup WARNING about this, especially posting it on front page... just call it internet stupidity from everyone including magazine companies. whos side are you on you so called PRESS!!?? dont give me a warning for this for is posting here all under your dictating rules that dont really comply with actual reality?

bet your response is : 'oh we didnt think about it that way, we only thought criminals use facebook and none of them subscribe to online magazines'

yeh ill bet you'll delete this, and you will rectify your actions by 'yeh but all the press does it, what difference does it make?' well thats exactly how a riot gets out of and... by chavs saying 'yeh lets all do it'

go ahead delete this :) like all the other magazines would :p

You lost me.
OT: Good on these guys for going out of their way to make life easier for the police. They're people too, you know, and a lot of people could do to learn from these guys.

FlipC

Dec 11, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
The police will ask him for recipts for the goods. Or a bank or credit card statement showing when he bought them. Or ask for the name of the store he bought them at and a rough time scale so they can look at the cctv to see if he was even their to buy them.

Its not brain surgery. All the people they catch should be made to pay for the damage to that shop they looted, or their private property sold to pay for it.
If we accept that posting a photo of yourself with stuff along with the tagline 'Look at all the stuff I nicked' counts as a confession; then sure it's up to him to prove he bought it. It gets better though. Even if the CPS don't have enough to press charges HMRC can then ask him to prove he's paid the tax on these goods and charge him the costs if he can't; then the police can get a magistrate to use the Proceeds of Crime Act to confiscate everything.

As to your second point - so they sell their private property and made homeless at which point they become the council's responsibility (particularly if they have children) to house. That's assuming they don't already live in a council house or rent property using housing benefit. Also what if five people smash a window, but only two get caught? Should the two bear the whole costs?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
M920CAIN said:
I don't want to appear as being a total ignorant, but I'm not from the U.K. ... WTF is going on there? why are people rioting? I could google it... but I'm sick of biased information.
The basic version is it is a Rodney King riot. Only without the arrest and court. And instead of just beating the crap out of the perp, the police shot him. People went crazy.
Oh, and without the traffic violation bit, either. From what I understand the dead guy people are finding an excuse to riot over was a drug dealer and murderer. Though that is info put out before things have even settled down yet, so I am not standing by those details.
The whole thing is insane and confusing, so don't feel bad for not knowing what it is all about.
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
It seems that Facebook is doing more work than actual cops these days.
One might say it is doing more than actual criminals, as well.
The Lugz said:
these people are doing nothing to stop these riots, the looters see no downside to their actions and they will continue to grow in strength until they either get bored, sate themselves or get the disciplinary action that they deserve for ruining other people's property, lives, security and general well-being.
You are new to the riot thing I am guessing. If you want to get an idea of what it takes to quell a riot of that size, go stand in front of a tsunami wave and estimate your chances of stopping it from hitting shore. By yourself.
Riots are as dangerous as forest fires, and just as hard to put down. The only thing you can realistically do is try to prevent it from spreading, and wait until it goes out on its own. Then pick up the pieces afterward. When all is said and done, there will be rioters and looters going to jail. There will be rioters and looters going to the morgue, as well. Unfortunately there will be even more innocent people going to the hospital and the morgue and many perps getting away with their actions. But then many of them will realize what they did, and they will have to live with it.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
and Americans are the stupid ones? not to say that some American criminals haven't done pretty much the same thing, but still this is a point against nationalistic bigotry as it shows stupidity is a human thing not an American thing. I hope this embarrassing incident is a blow to the ego for those bigots with a superiority complex.

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
Saw this on G4 yesterday - old news by now but certainly illustrates the idioticy of people in general.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337/signature/new

British folks sign this! it's a petition to have the benefits of those caught and convicted (in regards to the riots) stopped!

Yes look smug now with your hundred quid of stolen goods, then we'll see how smug you look when we take your thousand quid benefit away!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Bobbity said:
If we needed any more confirmation that the internet is making people stupid, or at least making that stupidity blatantly obvious, then here it is.
The latter.

Folks have always been stupid (look at the explanation for natural disasters over much of human history) but with the advent of the internet you now are connected to billions of people instead of a few thousand over the course of your lifetime.

It just makes it more obvious.

KoalaKid said:
and Americans are the stupid ones? not to say that some American criminals haven't done pretty much the same thing, but still this is a point against nationalistic bigotry as it shows stupidity is a human thing not an American thing. I hope this embarrassing incident is a blow to the ego for those bigots with a superiority complex.
Well much of our issues are because of cognitive dissonance at the political level. You have a nation of 300 million people being governed by a bunch of people who generally set the bar of liberalism at "Don't enslave black people." and then get more conservative from there.

I think America as a whole has a fairly wonderful population, if we improve at the upper echelons of politics I think this could be a very large nation that everyone would be proud of.

However, that's WAY easier said than done. Cause if you came in my house an told me you were taking my Swiss or provolone (I mean actual cheese in this analogy) I'd be pretty defensive of protecting it.

I'm sure politicians are the same with money and power.

DefinitelyPsychotic said:
It seems that Facebook is doing more work than actual cops these days.
I'm sure you are being facetious, but these sort of situations are mighty complicated. When police are doing their jobs, nobody notices, its that one time something goes wrong out of every 100 incidents that folks dwell on.

Keep in mind I'm still terrified of California police when I'm driving, but I respect them otherwise.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
putowtin said:
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337/signature/new

British folks sign this! it's a petition to have the benefits of those caught and convicted (in regards to the riots) stopped!

Yes look smug now with your hundred quid of stolen goods, then we'll see how smug you look when we take your thousand quid benefit away!
It's an interesting kneejerk reaction, but what happens when a large number of people, already experienced in rioting and looting just for fun, end up having no money for food or shelter? I predict FAR more riots and damage.

Arrest em, convict em, then jail em, or fine em, a lesser level of benefit will hurt em without forcing them to turn to crime to exist.

I've got no sympathy for those who rioted, but there's a huge anti-benefits culture in the UK, stirred up by the right wing press, and it's rather depressing. Note I'm not defending the criminals in any way, in fact I'm stating they're just likely to become even worse if stripped of any level of support, HAVING to steal, mug, and rob just to eat.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Speaking as a British citizen who has lived among these idiots for decades I am not surprised, I knew they were stupid back when the "Chav" thing started when I was in school. Met hundreds of Chavs, havent met any with a functioning brain.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
Wow, phat haul bro. Way to clean up on the moisturizer, might I suggest applying it now so you're nice and soft for your cellmate?