Survey Finds Most Americans Believe Games Cause Violence

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Survey Finds Most Americans Believe Games Cause Violence

A new survey has found that in spite of statistical evidence to the contrary, the majority of Americans believe that violent videogames cause more violence in society.

A survey [http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/econ_survey_questions/november_2010/questions_violent_video_games_november_8_9_2010] of 1000 adults across the U.S. has found that 54 percent of adults believe that violent videogames are a cause of increased violence in the real world. 69 percent of respondents say they are either "somewhat concerned" or "very concerned" about the levels of violence in videogames, while 65 percent said they believe states should have the right to prohibit the rental and sale of violent videogames to minors.

At the same time, however, only five percent of respondents said the government should be "chiefly responsible for limiting the amount of sex and violence children are exposed to in videogames," compared to the vast majority of 71 percent who believe it's the job of parents. Interestingly, adults with children living in the home are more likely to say that monitoring game content is a parental job, while those without children are more likely to lay the responsibility at the feet of the game industry. Also noteworthy is the fact that adults with children are less concern about the levels of violence in videogames than those without, while somewhat less surprisingly, older adults are generally more concerned with videogame violence than younger adults.

The belief that videogames lead to real-life violence flies in the face of statistics which show that violent crime in the U.S. has dropped off significantly [http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html] since peaking in the early 90s, a period of time that corresponds with the rise of mainstream videogaming. In other words, it's pretty hard to argue rationally that videogames cause violence since two decades of evidence points to precisely the opposite. But why let things like facts get in the way of a good opinion?

Source: Rasmussen Reports [http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/november_2010/54_think_violent_video_games_lead_to_more_violence_in_society]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Survey says: "Uninformed idiots are uninformed". Yes, yes they are.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I'm pretty sure most of those parents were mid-western mini-van driving soccor moms who have nothing else to do.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Headline: Majority of Population Believes in Opposite of What's True. Color me surprised.

At least only a really tiny portion believes in government regulation. It makes you wonder why lawmakers in California thought that would be a politically sound decision.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
54% of american adults can be represented by this here graphic

on a side note, I'm really wondering how is that possible, I mean, holy shit

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
Survey says: Escapist writer uses anecdotal evidence to make himself look smart in latest aggressive, ill-informed article.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Most Americans believe in a giant living in the clouds too, but we try not to laugh at them for that!

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Americans believe this because it is what the media told them.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
OANST said:
Survey says: Escapist writer uses anecdotal evidence to make himself look smart in latest aggressive, ill-informed article.
Tipsy Giant said:
Most Americans believe in a giant living in the clouds too, but we try not to laugh at them for that!
Thanks for contributing guys!

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
SO? people that doent know the matter, recite what mass media tells them. Dont tell me they also thought communism is a bad thing and that they have to defend their homes thousands of miles away?
i tell ya a secret. Survey the people wandering the streets of London, Madrid, Berlin or Paris. Theyll probably tell you the same bullshit.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Look at the questions from the survey:

1* How concerned are you about the level of violence in many video games today?
-> Everybody should be concerned about the degree of violence in media! Doesn't mean it's a bad thing! I am concerned about fire, because it can get out of hand.

2* Do violent video games lead to more violence in our society?
-> Hell sure. More violent games equal more violent games. Meaning violence in the society. Doesn't ask If I think the games cause anything, especially doesn't ask about violent behavior. What the hell is "violence in our society"? Video Games caused the war in Iraq? Hell no.

3* Should states be allowed to prohibit the sale or rental of violent video games to minors?
-> Nobody will dissagree on this. But it doesn't say anything about games in general.

This survey doesn't ask about any real connections. It is so incredibly vague that with questions of this style you can "proof" any belief.

"Do you believe there is a connection between cheese and the moon?"
50% believe that the moon is made of cheese!

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
dalek sec said:
I'm pretty sure most of those parents were mid-western mini-van driving soccor moms who have nothing else to do.
Probably the ones that also do anything for there child, and say everyone but them and there child are wrong plus have the reasons why whatever happened to them happened.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
You just made my day..

It's America, they like to be contraversial to pretend they're still the big boys in the world, as long as their game laws don't come into the UN and then good ol' England I'll be happy as Larry*

* (Larry isn't really that happy, he got made redundant last week)

PS: Parents who think that video games cause violence should look at the fact that if they don't let their kids play on games (violence or no violence) with other kids, they become depressed and eventually can't take it.. besides it's the future, I say: "Live with it"

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I wanna know what the lead up questions were.

Was it something like:
Are you worried about the rising rates of violent crime among youth?
Do you find the violence in video games to be graphic at times?
If there were a connection between violence in video games and real world violence would it concern you?
Now that we have made that connection for you do you believe that video game violence can cause real world violence?

Lord Kloo said:
It's America, they like to be contraversial to pretend they're still the big boys in the world,
And the UK likes to pretend that they still matter. Awww how cute.

(See I can be an insufferable prick too)

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
OANST said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Thanks for contributing guys!
You're welcome!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Well of course people would believe this..because i can guarantee most of those who took the "Survey" were people who have no understanding of popular culture and only believe what the 15 news outlets they listen to/read tell them.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
OANST said:
Survey says: Fact-averse faceless internet person attacks article blindly without reading it because he has no argument.

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Pretty much the same thing went through my head when I just read the tittle. ^.^

I mean how can a kid practice this "violent behavior" when all he does is stay in his room and play video games?!
Yelling at his mom when he refuses to go down for dinner doesn't count. Not to mention that even that kind of behavior can be dealt with a quick slap to the back of the head from his dad. (yes US is the only country where parents go to jail for disciplining their kids with slaps)

ps: And yes, I admit I just described my childhood.