Survey says 79% are no more interested in the Xbox One at $399.99

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/79-Gamers-Say-They-Won-t-Buy-Cheaper-399-Xbox-One-64455.html

I do distinguish between the "not interested" wording used by most sites and the "no more" used in the original infographic, but those are damning numbers.

Do you think this is accurate? Do you think this bodes poorly for Xbone? Do you think people are overreacting? What are the reasons?

I mean, I honestly see no reason right now to buy an Xbone. Even if you want a console, there's the more powerful PS4. With DR3 going to PC now, I don't even have confidence that the current Xbone exclusives will stay exclusive. The removal of the Kinect as a mandatory purchase is a plus, but there still isn't significant motivation for me to consider Microsoft. Removing a negative isn't in itself a positive.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Momentum is really hard to reverse. The biggest problem is Microsoft haven't yet provided a reason why you should buy an Xbox One, they've just removed the reasons why you shouldn't buy an Xbox One.

All the people who'd already decided in their heads that the PS4 was better haven't been given a reason to reverse that decision, and if the two consoles are equal they're going to pick the one without the air of lingering resentment. Plus there are more people who already own PS4's spreading word of mouth to everyone else right now.

But I don't think we're in a doom and gloom situation for Microsoft. It's going to take one decent E3 to reverse this. Sometime around Christmas or January more people are going to say things like 'yeah but it's about the games right? Sony might be doing well but there's nothing to play and X game looks really sweet right now'. If that gathers steam then that could turn into a full on anti-Sony backlash.

And short term Microsofts first year exclusives are looking a lot better than Sony's. I still believe more in the Sony studios than Microsoft studios (and third party games like Titanfall are irrelevant when Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform) but the first wave of Sony games aren't strong. Both companies experimented and took risks, as luck will have it, Microsoft's will pay off whilst Sony's won't.

So at the moment the brakes have been applied, but there's no reverse acceleration. That's fragile and I can see it being turned around soon.
---------------------
Saying that, I still think Sony has the better long term game, with their fortresses of Asia and Europe and Microsofts UK and USA strongholds already breached. But it's not the end of the world yet

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah I'm going to agree with the thought that removing the Kinect is just removing a reason to not buy the Xbox One rather than a reason to buy it.

All I can say is that this is probably accurate, and we just wait until E3 is over to see what Microsoft has in store for the Xbox One, because from what I can gather Sony isn't impressing with the first few PS4 games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Are surveys ever really accurate?

The PS4 is obviously more popular than the Xbone right now, but the tables were turned last gen with everyone initially pooing on the PS3, and that turned around well enough.

I actually commend Microsoft for not waiting too long with this and admitting the mandatory Kinect was a mistake.

And Sony might have the more objectively interesting exclussives, but they've been bleeding talent lately, what with Fumito Ueda leaving and everyone at Naughty Dog seemingly jumping ship.

And another thing, I don't know how much of the sales of either the PS4 and the Xbone consist of "gamers" and how much consist of "casuals". Because I doubt the latter are too aware of the black marks against the Xbone, or even care if they are.

With the lack of really anything to play on either system right now, I woudn't say there's a real definitive leg up Sony has over Microsoft. Honestly, I think it might have more to do with the PS4 having been available in more countries for longer. I still don't know if the Xbone is available here yet.

But yeah, I too couldn't care less about the Xbone if I tried. I care less about that thing than the Wii, and that's saying something.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
I am not interested in either the PS4 or the One. However, removing Kinect was a mistake. Removing Kinect is like removing the Gamepad from the Wii U, it is the one distinguishing factor.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
I was wondering if I should make a thread about this, but the escapist has enough people making such posts.

I am not sure if the survey is accurate or not, but I know I'm 99.99% likely to never touch an Xbone now. I could be given one for free, minus kinect, and I would still be more tempted to sell it for scrap, or let someone who didn't know better or care have it, than keep it in my house, let alone plug the thing in and use it.

It's a matter of principle at this point: Microsoft made it very clear that they look down on their customers. Every company wants profit first and foremost, but there is a level of respect that they need to pretend to maintain, at the very least, and I feel Microsoft crossed lines with me. I don't even need to go into everything they've done, but everything -pre- Xbone180 turned me off entirely to playing Microsoft's games. Basically being told to kiss microsoft's rear end if we didn't like what they wanted to do; basically being blatantly disrespected to our face? Sure as heck not putting up with that.

I won't even lie and say that Nintendo doesn't have me in their back pocket, but I genuinely try to be somewhat reasonable with what I play. My general recommendation for buying consoles is if I can find at least 20 games for the console, I'll pick it up. I've done that with every video game console I've ever asked for: Early Sega (before the Dreamcast, at least, and I really wanna try to look that one up again), PS1, Ps2 (I did break my rule for the PSP and Kingdom Hearts BBS / Dissidia Final Fantasy), Xbox Original, and Xbox 360 have all met my standards, as have most everything I've experienced with Nintendo (come on, WiiU; you can do it, buddy!).

But with Microsoft trying to make us willingly put our faces in the dirt so they can walk over us, I don't feel the need to open up my wallet to them so easily. With the Xbone180noK, I won't settle for anything less than a full 100 games that I desperately want to play, before I bother to consider giving money to people like that now.

Killer Instinct, that's one.

Dead Rising 3, tha-oh wait. PC version.

Maybe Titan Fa-oh wait. PC version.

Welp, Killer Instinct, at least. 99 more to go.

Meanwhile, I do hope to see what Sony and the PS4 have in the future, and enjoying the treasures of the PS3 in the past. I'm also still very happy with my WiiU.

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
And the sad thing is you can just play the older Killer Instincts on either your older consoles or emulators. Killer Instinct honestly isn't that big of a deal to shell that much money for when you can easily play the older ones either for much cheaper or free.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I had an X-Box and an X-Box 360, and yeah... I'm one of those people that's still not interested.

I have no interest in my game console being an overall 'multimedia center' - because I already have devices that perform all of those functions well enough.

I also have no interest in a game console that was seemingly designed from the ground-up to be anti-consumer. Sure, many of those... "features"... have been dropped or changed, but I just don't trust Microsoft to stick to their guns on it. They can just flip the switch at any time and turn all that crap back on, or introduce new and improved anti-consumer crap.

Then there's X-Box Live. I've always hated X-Box Live. Its layout is terrible, and despite it being completely full of advertisements I still had to pay for it to play video games that I'd already bought using a Wifi connection that I'm also already paying for. Yeah... no.

And its exclusives right now just don't interest me. The only one I cared about even a little bit was Dead Rising 3, and it's not even going to be exclusive for much longer. Not to mention it raises the question of whether or not any of its exclusives will remain exclusive for long.

It would take one hell of an E3 lineup to get me even remotely interested in their overpriced paperweight.

EDIT:
That said, I'll probably be buying an X-Box One controller now that drivers are available to get it to work with the PC. I've always been pretty fond of the X-Box controllers (excluding the original one).

purf

Nov 29, 2010
in other news, the preorder for Kinect2 for Windows has begun.
The price? Half the console.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Artaneius said:
And the sad thing is you can just play the older Killer Instincts on either your older consoles or emulators. Killer Instinct honestly isn't that big of a deal to shell that much money for when you can easily play the older ones either for much cheaper or free.
That really is the saddest thing. I still include it, but it can't nearly do the job by itself, especially since that old black piece of plastic still works... <3

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I'm so apathetic to the entire topic, I've started shrugging with my entire arms like some Belter.

With consoles becoming more and more of a hassle and not finding a niche to justify their existence, I find it hard to even be remotely interested in buying any console. There is literally no reason for me.
And removing a horrible piece of overpriced hardware isn't really a selling point as much as it's fixing the product with a sledgehammer made of common sense.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
1 month ago " I'm not buying that console cause I don't want that stupid kinect making it cost 100 bucks more then the PS4"

today " OMG it's so stupid that the Xb one isn't going to have a kinect with it"

I think they are actually looking for buyers, not a whole bunch of whiney people. The Main idea tho is E3 is suppose to blow everyone away and make them want to go buy an XB one, and not have " oh I don't want that stupid kinect" be an issue. You can still buy the console with the kinect.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Honestly, it all comes down to this E3.

Both consoles have almost nothing to show for (Though I do enjoy my Xbox One via Titanfall and Battlefield 4) when all it takes right now is the right set of console exclusives.

For all I know Microsoft could pull out Halo 5: Guardians and showcase that. Or even something brand new.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Removing the Kinect is a large mistake (even if all they are doing is making a different version available). Who does the Kinect stop from buying an Xbone? The IGC? Most of which likely won't even think of getting an Xbone anyway so why try to appease them in any way.

Their exclusives will likely go the way of how the 360 ones went so what great value does their console hold over the others?

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
To be honest, I was considering buying the Xbox One for the Kinect at some point because the multi-media voice command thing is cool enough that when I have a proper house with a proper TV and a proper set-up, that is exactly the kind of thing I want.

However, I already have a PS4, and I have absolutely no reason to buy an Xbonx One now rather than the future, so I'll just wait until I can get one (in four years, when it will be cheaper) or maybe when they release the next one.

Or if Sony goes multi-media and has voice command, then I'll probably just never get an Xbox One. When it comes to the games, PS4 had already won me, and that is ultimately what I look for in a console.

seaweed

May 19, 2014
It has barely any appeal outside of Burgerland and they've made themselves look incompetent by repeatedly saying one thing and going back on it almost immediately. I applaud them for reversing some boneheaded decisions so quickly but it still looks really bad that they even had to in the first place. The version of the console at the reveal was the one of the most consumer-unfriendly things I've ever seen a video game company try to pull and I think people are going to hold it against them for years.

I think they can turn it around (Even the PS3 did) but they've got a long road ahead of them. Plus it may be the same price as the PS4 now but it's been demonstrated repeatedly that it's a weaker machine. But weaker machines can sell amazingly, so who knows.

Personally, I just don't think they get it sometimes. Like they go on stage at a press conference and talk about cable TV for half of it, a technology that honestly looks like it's on the way out. I also have the lingering suspicion that if they ever managed to achieve a vast majority of the market share, they'd just turn the DRM switch back on. The other two companies at least pretend to like their customers, Microsoft just seems to see them as dollar signs and profit margins. They feel so corporate. I know all the companies are out to make a buck, but Microsoft takes it to an extreme sometimes.

They're not in a doomed situation, but the odds are stacked against them.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
the Xbox one controller can be used on PC now, many Xbox One exclusives are on PC (then again this also holds true for the PS4), so far the offerings of games with gold have been inferior to the offerings of PS+, unless you REALLY like halo, i dont see why youd buy an Xbox one

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
the Xbox one controller can be used on PC now, many Xbox One exclusives are on PC (then again this also holds true for the PS4), so far the offerings of games with gold have been inferior to the offerings of PS+, unless you REALLY like halo, i dont see why youd buy an Xbox one
Checking a couple of lists on the net puts Microsoft as having less notexclusives than Sony by a significant margin which is a reverse of the previous generation. The only problems Microsoft have is firstly their nonexclusives are more noticeable (Dead Rising, Titalfall, a Halo), and that the PS4 has near the double the games available according to wiki.

The list is below though it does contain games not yet released to which...enlarges it.

Xbox One

Below
Cobalt
Dead Rising 3
FRU
Habitat
Halo: Spartan Assault
It Draws A Red Box
LocoCycle
Magic: The Gathering ? Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Nutjitsu
Peggle 2
Pinball FX 2
Roundabout
Shining Empire
Soda Drinker Pro
Spectra: 8bit Racing
Titanfall
Totem

PS4

Aaru's Awakening
Among the Sleep
Apotheon
Axiom Verge
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Blast 'Em Bunnies
Bombshell
Chasm
Daylight
Don't Starve
Dragon Fin Soup
Drifter
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Escape Goat 2
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Final Horizon
flOw (apparently there was a flash version...unsure if it counts)
Galak-Z: The Dimensional
Guilty Gear Xrd (Not PC however, arcade)
Guns of Icarus Online
H-Hour: World's Elite (Socom)
Hand of Fate
Heart Forth, Alicia
Home
Hotline Miami
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Ironclad Tactics
Jamestown Plus
King Oddball
Kingdom Under Fire II
Mercenary Kings
MotoGP 14
Mousecraft
Ninja Kid's Demon Castle Adventure
Nobunaga no Yab&#333;: Sozou (Nobunaga's ambitition whatever)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
OlliOlli
Outlast
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Project: Heart and Soul
Project Phoenix
QuickDraw
Race the Sun
Ray's the Dead
Road Not Taken
Rogue Legacy
Samurai Gunn
Savant Ascent
Secret Ponchos
Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-A-Fide Edition
SOMA
Spelunky
Sportsfriends
Starbound
Steamworld Dig
Stealth Inc: Ultimate Edition
Super Motherload
The Swapper
Tiny Brains
Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops
Titan Attacks
To Leave
Transistor
Volume
The Witness

Free to play (PS4)

Blacklight: Retribution
DC Universe Online
Doki-Doki Universe (Light Version)
EverQuest Next
H1Z1
Loadout
PlanetSide 2
Warframe
War Thunder

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Checking a couple of lists on the net puts Microsoft as having less notexclusives than Sony by a significant margin which is a reverse of the previous generation. The only problems Microsoft have is firstly their nonexclusives are more noticeable (Dead Rising, Titalfall, a Halo), and that the PS4 has near the double the games available according to wiki.

The list is below though it does contain games not yet released to which...enlarges it.

Xbox One

Below
Cobalt
Dead Rising 3
FRU
Habitat
Halo: Spartan Assault
It Draws A Red Box
LocoCycle
Magic: The Gathering ? Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Nutjitsu
Peggle 2
Pinball FX 2
Roundabout
Shining Empire
Soda Drinker Pro
Spectra: 8bit Racing
Titanfall
Totem

PS4

Aaru's Awakening
Among the Sleep
Apotheon
Axiom Verge
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Blast 'Em Bunnies
Bombshell
Chasm
Daylight
Don't Starve
Dragon Fin Soup
Drifter
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Escape Goat 2
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Final Horizon
flOw (apparently there was a flash version...unsure if it counts)
Galak-Z: The Dimensional
Guilty Gear Xrd (Not PC however, arcade)
Guns of Icarus Online
H-Hour: World's Elite (Socom)
Hand of Fate
Heart Forth, Alicia
Home
Hotline Miami
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Ironclad Tactics
Jamestown Plus
King Oddball
Kingdom Under Fire II
Mercenary Kings
MotoGP 14
Mousecraft
Ninja Kid's Demon Castle Adventure
Nobunaga no Yab&#333;: Sozou (Nobunaga's ambitition whatever)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
OlliOlli
Outlast
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Project: Heart and Soul
Project Phoenix
QuickDraw
Race the Sun
Ray's the Dead
Road Not Taken
Rogue Legacy
Samurai Gunn
Savant Ascent
Secret Ponchos
Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-A-Fide Edition
SOMA
Spelunky
Sportsfriends
Starbound
Steamworld Dig
Stealth Inc: Ultimate Edition
Super Motherload
The Swapper
Tiny Brains
Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops
Titan Attacks
To Leave
Transistor
Volume
The Witness

Free to play (PS4)

Blacklight: Retribution
DC Universe Online
Doki-Doki Universe (Light Version)
EverQuest Next
H1Z1
Loadout
PlanetSide 2
Warframe
War Thunder
yeah ive always thought Sony made the right call by extending their hand to indies, theyve been one of the main reasons behind PC's reseugence in the recent years, and now if you want a taste of that on consoles PS4 is the way to go, im serious when i say PS4/PS Vita owners are not prepared for the amazingness that is rogue legacy