Survey says 79% are no more interested in the Xbox One at $399.99

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
I am not interested in either the PS4 or the One. However, removing Kinect was a mistake. Removing Kinect is like removing the Gamepad from the Wii U, it is the one distinguishing factor.
For me that was a huge reason as to why not to buy one. That was a huge determining factor.

Granted I'm not much of a console gamer and won't be getting either any time soon, but regardless, Microsoft still has a long way to go before I'd consider recommending the Xbox One to anyone.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
The Enquirer said:
WeepingAngels said:
I am not interested in either the PS4 or the One. However, removing Kinect was a mistake. Removing Kinect is like removing the Gamepad from the Wii U, it is the one distinguishing factor.
For me that was a huge reason as to why not to buy one. That was a huge determining factor.

Granted I'm not much of a console gamer and won't be getting either any time soon, but regardless, Microsoft still has a long way to go before I'd consider recommending the Xbox One to anyone.
Now they just have a weaker PS4.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/79-Gamers-Say-They-Won-t-Buy-Cheaper-399-Xbox-One-64455.html

I do distinguish between the "not interested" wording used by most sites and the "no more" used in the original infographic, but those are damning numbers.

Do you think this is accurate? Do you think this bodes poorly for Xbone? Do you think people are overreacting? What are the reasons?

I mean, I honestly see no reason right now to buy an Xbone. Even if you want a console, there's the more powerful PS4. With DR3 going to PC now, I don't even have confidence that the current Xbone exclusives will stay exclusive. The removal of the Kinect as a mandatory purchase is a plus, but there still isn't significant motivation for me to consider Microsoft. Removing a negative isn't in itself a positive.
I hope it's accurate. That'd indicate some real consumer awareness of either Microsoft originally trying to screw everyone over (which should in no way be forgiven, since that's a terrible precedent to set) and/or the fact that it's STILL totally inferior to the PS4.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Its probably accurate. (or is this my wishful thinking?)

I think the only way for Xbox "win" the generation is to hope for Sony's major fuck up and take advantage of it.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
Eve Charm said:
1 month ago " I'm not buying that console cause I don't want that stupid kinect making it cost 100 bucks more then the PS4"

today " OMG it's so stupid that the Xb one isn't going to have a kinect with it"
Quoted because it's funny and relevant. I'm still not going to get either of the new consoles until they halve their current prices. By then, there should be a slew of games out for both which will make it easier to determine which is a better buy for me.

There's just no compelling reason to buy a next gen console right now, when PC gaming is in such good condition. I get my PC exclusives, AAA, Indie, Early access games and multimedia capabilities all in one place, and often at a fraction of the price of the console versions.

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
I agree with the above statements about the multimedia center. If I want to watch something I will find it on my pc, which is also what i play my games on. They really should focus on making quality product that isn't the same game over and over again *cough* call of duty *cough* interesting and well made games like the dark souls series are coming less and less frequently. I have a Ps3 but I don't actively buy games for it. I will get a Ps4 when KH3 comes out but thats only because it's not coming out for pc, and even if it did after playing it for so long on console it feels wrong to play it on anything but the playstation system. I also agree with the statement about Microsoft rubbing it's customers faces in the dirt. They are the pepco of the technology world. Frankly the best thing about capitalism is that the consumer has the freedom to choose. Microsoft can do whatever it wants, but until it has a complete monopoly on the industry I don't have to buy it if i don't want to. In addition for some reason I've always preferred playstation over xbox. Not sure why. So ya never getting xbone.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
The problem for the Xbone comes with answering a simple question:
Why should I buy an Xbone instead of the PS4?

And in answering the question, we see why no one wants an Xbone. Both next-gen consoles are the same price right now, so it ultimately comes down to console features and content. Every multi-platform title is going to look and play better on the PS4. Period. That's an investment that pays off over the course of an entire generation. So, the Xbone's media features and exclusive content are all it has going for it. "Live TV" demand is dwindling as people switch to on-demand content, and these services can already be accessed right now elsewhere without making additional purchases. None of its original TV content is available, and it will all be available on the Xbox 360, Windows PC and Windows Phones. This leaves just the Xbone exclusive video game titles to move the system:

Crimson Dragon
Fighter Within
Forza Motorsport 5
Killer Instinct
Kinect Sports Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Ryse: Son of Rome
Super Time Force
Xbox Fitness

Superior versions of all of its other games are available elsewhere, including its one big hope 'Titanfall'. When purchasing a PS4, the list of exclusives isn't a great deal bigger, but it has the best version of every multi-platform console title in addition to its exclusives, all of which were well received - though Knack is debatable. There are two Xbone exclusives arriving before the end of the year: Halo 2 HD and Sunset Overdrive. Neither of these titles are going to drive adoption.

If the Xbone were US$299.99 with Titanfall in the box, they'd move enough Xbones to stay relevant. Being the same price as their superior competition leaves Microsoft unable to compete in any way. Unless Microsoft is bringing out a secret half dozen mind blowing Xbone exclusives this year, the Xbone is a lost cause till E3 next year.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I still want the PS4 over the Xboxone, but I am still going to wait until the price comes down some more, and they stop developing for the PS3. For example, I was really interested in Watch_dogs, Evil within, Destiny and Murdered: Soul suspect and all of them have become available on the PS3, thus negating my need for a PS4 or an Xbox one.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Now they just have a weaker PS4.
I don't think that's going to matter, as long as they can find one big game or something to give them an edge. The average shopper probably doesn't know what a 1080p is (except from Youtube).

But they absolutely need that something to give them an edge, last time round they had momentum and Halo and Xbox Live. They haven't found anything like that yet and so when someone comes into a shop and asks which one they should buy, the people behind the counter are going to say 'well the PS4 looks better than the Xbox One'. But it will stop once they have one solid exclusive franchise and some brand identity.

They were never going to get anywhere with the Kinect. It was an albatross around their neck and they did well to knock it off. Consumer maybe be hazy on their tech specifications but they know the difference between $400 and $500

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Extra information from the survey can be found here, just in case anyone was interested:

http://dealnews.com/features/State-of-Gaming-2014-PC-Gaming-Is-on-the-Rise/1062249.html

So, playing amateur statistician...

The survey looks like it polled a similar community to the Escapist, although you couldn't be sure without running a similar poll here:

- Looks like most are reasonably hardcore gamers. ~40% game predominantly on PC, roughly 2/3rds have played games for an 8-hour stretch. Only ~10% game primarily on smartphones, tablets etc.

- ~60% haven't yet bought a PS4, Xbox One or Wii U

- There's a roughly even split between Sony console owners and Microsoft owners (although, American website, so one imagines that 360 owners outnumber PS3 owners).

- American website. Presumably the majority of respondents are American.

- 927 people surveyed, which is a decent number.

I certainly think that a number like 21% is accurate for a PC-heavy audience visiting a tech website. I'd expect it. They're likely to understand that the PS4 is, for most people, going to be the better buy. They're likely to be interested in indies. Although they're less likely to care about the exclusion of the Kinect, they're also less likely to be interested in consoles in the first place. They're less likely to be in the awkward position where all their mates are playing on Xbox, or brand loyal to Microsoft (see: 360 owners 20% more likely to be interested in the Xbox One, possibly for these reasons).

Is that going to extrapolate to the rest of gamers?
Maybe. Casual gamers might even be less interested since they don't get the Kinect at the lower price. Those in Europe/Rest of the world might also be less interested since 360 ownership in those territories is much lower.

In any case, I can't imagine that the real number for the whole community is much higher than 21%. It'll be interesting to see June/July NPD and VGchartz data.

It's also slightly strange that the answers are given in a strange binary format. They're divided between "More interested now" and "Not interested". Maybe there weren't many respondents in the "Was interested, am still just as interested camp"?

Either way, Microsoft have a colossal fight ahead of them. Whatever the real number is, and whatever "interested" means regarding sales, I doubt the price drop will trigger some sort of massive turnaround. They've been beaten on almost every front by Sony, and this only removes the price advantage.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Do you think this is accurate?
It wouldn't really surprise me, but I can't say for complete certainty. Everything I've seen so far leads me to beleive it's at least somewhat right though.

Do you think this bodes poorly for Xbone?
Oh my, yes. 80% unchanged from the original position? That's got to smart.

Do you think people are overreacting? What are the reasons?
Possibly, but this is one of those situations where I believe an over-reaction is useful. Xbox made a lot of anti-customer actions and people resented them for it. More to the point, they did something about it that Microsoft actually notices and cares about: they didn't invest blindly. Given the popularity of the Xbox series prior to this point, that speaks volumes. Without this fan reaction, Microsoft wouldn't have gotten the hint, and Xbox users would have been stuck with expensive and superfluous "extras" along with truly terrible always online DRM. And given Microsoft's power in the market, that sort of thing may very well become standard across everyone's platforms (which, actually, I suspect Microsoft was sorta counting on). Bad news for everyone console gamer, this generation and forward.

So, while many fans are ignoring the Xbox One out of spite for the initial problems that no longer exist, I'm actually of the opinion that this sort of thing is needed once in a while to remind large corporations that there's only so far you can push your clients.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Polls are pretty meaningless, and i doubt this poll is that accurate and definitely not as high as 80%, who is surprised that gamers arent interested in buying something they dont want even if its cheaper? Look at PS4, if they made it cheaper i still wouldnt buy it, but thats due to no games on it that i want to play, after E3 that may change. Doesnt mean i hate the PS4 and will never buy it ever regardless of how great the games are. I bet if we did a poll on worst company, 80%+ would vote EA, but they will still sell millions of games regardless. Same with the people moaning about WatchDogs fake graphics and low res/30fps fiasco, that game sold millions. People like to ***** and moan.....even me.

As for which console is bought, its all down to games. An thats why this years E3 is important for both consoles. Who really cares about what bad choices MS did a year ago. Its not important anymore. An im not about to spend good money on a PS4 out of spite, thats just childish. So if we watch E3, and the PS4 has the best games for you, then get a PS4. If the XB1 has the best games you like, then get a XB1. Why would anyone buy a PS4 when all the games they want are on the XB1? Thing is MS made alot of changes due to what gamers wanted - you cant still moan now you have got your own way - although many still will.

Best part is EA got rid of online codes in their games to combat second hand game sales when they thought MS was going to block used games. Now MS reversed its stance, there is nothing EA can do to start up them online pass crap again. lol. Come on, MS should be commended for that. :)(im going to be so gutted if EA has already started adding those codes).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ieyke said:
That'd indicate some real consumer awareness of either Microsoft originally trying to screw everyone over (which should in no way be forgiven, since that's a terrible precedent to set) and/or the fact that it's STILL totally inferior to the PS4.
I hope it's the latter. Gamers already have a rep as being petty and vindictive. I suspect snubbing Microsoft for their past idiocy would only play to that, rather than sending any message.

Casual Shinji said:
Are surveys ever really accurate?
I would say yes, as polling can produce solid predictions. The major question comes down to one of methodology. Which is why I'm not sure about this one, as the methodology isn't broke down in the same way.

Of course, the other issue here is that even if they're not, the market believes in such statistics to the point they pay for them. Through the nose. To large firms. Insert Michael Pachter joker here.

WeepingAngels said:
If the distinguishing factor is a tumour, you excise it.

purf said:
in other news, the preorder for Kinect2 for Windows has begun.
The price? Half the console.
Well, they claimed it was almost as expensive as the Xbone itself. Which makes me wonder why they cut the price only to 399.99 USD. Maybe it'll sell, but as an informed consumer I'd have trouble justifying paying the same amount for less bang. Or maybe they really hope Halo's going to be a system seller again.

Caiphus said:
- American website. Presumably the majority of respondents are American.
Considering how heavily American the market for the Xbox line has been, that might be a solid indicator, anyway.

- 927 people surveyed, which is a decent number.
THANK YOU. Almost every site I've seen this reported on has had comments about how it's "only" 927 people.

SonOfVoorhees said:
I bet if we did a poll on worst company, 80%+ would vote EA, but they will still sell millions of games regardless.
Of course, that doesn't prove these numbers are inaccurate because you're comparing results to an unrelated question. I bet most people dissatisfied with Comcast are Comcast users, but "are you satisfied with Comcast" doesn't answer the question of "do you/will you use Comcast services?"

It might be a little odd that people who hate EA so much would buy from them, but that has no impact on whether they want the games, which is the more relevant question when talking about the outcome you mention.

If applied your way, surveys are useless. But that's a methodological issue.

Best part is EA got rid of online codes in their games to combat second hand game sales when they thought MS was going to block used games.
That's a conspiracy theory.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Microsoft's biggest problem is that every little thing they announce, every little thing they do, is all a reaction to very negative backlash. They're not pursuing an active policy on anything. Everything is a spin of a spin of a spin. They've been on damage control since Day 1. And the people knows this and can sense this. They've disavowed everything they once said was integral of the Xbone - DRM, Kinect, etc. - rather than stand by it. This goes to show just how much faith Microsoft has on their product, which in turn undermines the consumers' faith on the Xbone.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Xbone hasn't even been published yet in certain smaller countries (Finland) and they are already making corrective movements removing Kinect from the bundle... I cannot see how Microsoft could bring this about, since Sony has been shipping PS4 for ages compared to their more expensive, weaker MS counterpart.
Though, for both systems there are literally so few games available, the real battle begins when the library is expanded to more than two exclusives.
Xbone might be fun (after you strip the motion control), but I don't see them succeeding anytime soon... Maybe this console generation will be long and full of surprises. Before it dies.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Microsoft's biggest problem is that every little thing they announce, every little thing they do, is all a reaction to very negative backlash. They're not pursuing an active policy on anything. Everything is a spin of a spin of a spin. They've been on damage control since Day 1. And the people knows this and can sense this. They've disavowed everything they once said was integral of the Xbone - DRM, Kinect, etc. - rather than stand by it. This goes to show just how much faith Microsoft has on their product, which in turn undermines the consumers' faith on the Xbone.
Problem with that is if they did stick by all of that where would that get them?, my guess is not remotely far, the backlash would still be the same and further imprint all that ire for years longer.

Then we have the damage control, still met with backlash no matter what even from people who aren't even remotely interested in buying a unit (those people pretty much exist in any other medium), either way they are damned if they do, damned if they don't and it's mostly thanks to their previous mistakes and people holding seemingly large grudges instead of moving onto something else, all the while the people actually into their products end up suffering because MS wanted to please the largely cynical and jaded crowd.

It's like that with the Wii U, only it;s not anger it's third parties and potential buyers, both are caught in a catch 22.

Personally I couldn't give a fuck about what happened last year, I saw it as a big mistake but nothing to get angry over or piss praise into Sony's cup, I was a bit miffed though when they decided to drop Kinect, people not into Wii U's even want Nintendo's pad dropped making SOny's controller the only largely acceptable thing on the market which is pretty shitty by definition since the Kinect is still useful and if it had more time it could have gone further, the Wii U pad is fine but needs more games centred around it (probably to be sold separately but will that anti pad crowd really buy the console then?, I wouldn't think so).

As it stands with what they've got now, all I want out of them is the Halo HD collection, Halo 5, Quantum break and Sunset Over Drive next year, that's enough to tide me over to getting one anyway.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I dunno. On one hand this might be true. And backpedalling is always awkward for a company, especially when they have to come out and suggest "Hey guys, we were wrong all along. Egg on our face, amirite?".

But on the other hand, when they were confident about their product, and spouting silliness like "We have a product for people without Internet, it's called the Xbox 360", it's not like the consumer reaction to that was any better.

So yeah, they have to undo all the damage they did. But I think they need to. I think that just pushing forward with a stupid model wasn't going to get them anywhere.

Problem is now, which is what I think you were implying, is that they've stripped out everything unique (even if the unique stuff was mostly bad), and now they are just left with a not-so-good PS4.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm not sure what other choice they have here. They seem to have cornered themselves but good and I'm not sure what other way out there is. And their product was defined by the exact things everyone hated. This would be fine if they had overwhelming success like the Wii, then they could pop on their monocle and declare "haters gonna hate," but now?

I don't know.

SFMB said:
Xbone hasn't even been published yet in certain smaller countries (Finland) and they are already making corrective movements removing Kinect from the bundle... I cannot see how Microsoft could bring this about, since Sony has been shipping PS4 for ages compared to their more expensive, weaker MS counterpart.
Don't many of the Xbone's features require localisation on a larger scale than the usual? Or am I remembering wrong?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
927 people is an incredibly tiny sample size for a market as large and diverse as the video game market.
While I'd like to believe this based on last year's backlash, I'm not buying it up front to thwart my own confirmation bias.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
MS said FU to their players and they're saying it right back. What they did is wrong you don't do that to your customers I'm not buying one nor any of my friends if not due to price point then on principle.