Survey Says: UK "Underwhelmed" by Xbox One

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Are you SURE it's just the UK? REALLY sure? Please, someone get Australia on the line. I really want to know what they think. Hell, get the entire continents on the phone, see what they say. Wait, nope, not big enough, scratch all that. Someone call Mars and ask if they like any of this putrid crap that Microsoft is spewing.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Cognimancer said:
It does, however, call Microsoft's high-level design decisions into question. Is the Xbox One overproviding for a market that only wants to play games?
Isn't this generally true of Microsoft for at least the last several years? Or, at least, they seem to be heading in a direction that no consumers are asking them to head and that they seem hesitant to speak openly about. Windows is shifting away from a PC operating system, Xbox is shifting away from gaming, and, unless they've got themselves heavily invested in hardware manufacturing or sales or something, I can't even guess at where they're realistically trying to go with all of these changes.

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
I don't see any rational reason to NOT be underwhelmed with the Xbone. Besides a hardware increase, it seems like at least 2 steps behind the 360 in terms of actual gaming. And that curbing used games thing is practically a sin.

Only people I know who are excited for the Xbone are people who don't actually play video games all that much, or some very oddly console-loyal friends that I have.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
DVS BSTrD said:
Wouldn't need the bloody cloud if they weren't making us install the games.
Each person surveyed was asked to select one or more words from a list that best described their feelings about the Xbox One. The top answer was "Excited" (59%), followed by "Underwhelmed" (52%), "Enthusiastic" (44%), "Indifferent" (39%), and "Disappointed" (27%). That's more then a hundred percent. And more Excited then there should be.
Why do you say that? I'm excited. I'm excited to see how much it makes people switch to PC/PS4/Wii-U!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
read the title and all I could think of was the family guy Y2K episode with the drifter shouting "Show me potato salad!"

Though Im not exactly surprised, i dont think its fair to say they're underwhelmed when the top answer is excited. Though seeing that 19% maybe microsoft should bury in the fine print the right to come in and take your identity and all worldly goods if you buy the system. I mean hey, even if they but a flashing blue light that never shuts off what the hell, right 19% percent?

DVS BSTrD said:
Wouldn't need the bloody cloud if they weren't making us install the games.
Each person surveyed was asked to select one or more words from a list that best described their feelings about the Xbox One. The top answer was "Excited" (59%), followed by "Underwhelmed" (52%), "Enthusiastic" (44%), "Indifferent" (39%), and "Disappointed" (27%). That's more then a hundred percent. And more Excited then there should be.
It does say you could choose more than one word.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Cognimancer said:
Survey Says: UK "Underwhelmed" by Xbox One

Each person surveyed was asked to select one or more words from a list that best described their feelings about the Xbox One. The top answer was "Excited" (59%), followed by "Underwhelmed" (52%), "Enthusiastic" (44%), "Indifferent" (39%), and "Disappointed" (27%).
Though excited is kinda high, I think this is really interesting when you consider the overlap between the groups. Meaning that a least some of the people who picked 'excited' were also underwhelmed and disappointed by the reveal. Which means that some people are actively excited about something they don't like coming out. So either people are excited by the piece of crap and still plan to buy it even though they don't like it. Or they are excited about it coming out because they can't wait to see it crash and burn horribly. I'd much rather believe the latter.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Lex Darko said:
Nimzabaat said:
I can also understand how people in the UK would be less excited about the Kinect. Aren't average living spaces smaller in UK and Europe?

What baffles me is that the PS4 was equally underwhelming. I guess a lot of people have already forgotten about the PS4 reveal and therefore it's looking more appealing simply because people forgot it.

So... Steambox? Yeah Steambox.
The PS4 reveal wasn't earth shattering, but at least they focused on games. They didn't show a box but they gave us the tech specs and showed people playing games not just trailers for 3 games, two of which will be multiplatform.
So PS4 shows games but no box and people are pissed. Xbone shows box and no games and people are pissed. If only there was a third company that could have learned from that... that hadn't already released a console that nobody cares about :)

Mar 26, 2008
This news should not come as a shock to anyone other than possibly Microsoft, who's boneheaded idea it was to market the Xbox One as an "all in one" machine to start with. Did they not conduct market research or have focus groups before they created the new console or was it all a bunch of execs high fiving and back slapping over their own misguided ideas?

I mean it's entirely possible that Microsoft are infact right and this is the future of entertainment, but right now they're not convincing anyone.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Kennetic said:
I understand why Europeans are upset about the Xbone's lack of services in your continent, however, the thing is an American product and the majority of the buyers are American so who do you think it's going to favor? Mind you, I hope the thing bombs but we'll have to wait til launch to see. I've always favored Sony over Microsoft anyways.
The thing with that mentality is that it's perfectly ok, so long as you're willing to accept that you're not going to get sales outside of America. And the fact is that most of the world's population does not live in the United States, so you're kinda limiting your target audience. Like you, I'm hoping for the Xbone to crash and burn, it's just interesting to see Microsoft doing all they can to help achieve that objective...

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
This news should not come as a shock to anyone other than possibly Microsoft, who's boneheaded idea it was to market the Xbox One as an "all in one" machine to start with. Did they not conduct market research or have focus groups before they created the new console or was it all a bunch of execs high fiving and back slapping over their own misguided ideas?

I mean it's entirely possible that Microsoft are infact right and this is the future of entertainment, but right now they're not convincing anyone.
I think it's entirely likely they did conduct market research and used focus groups, but are simply dim enough to take what they learned at face value rather than analyse it and apply lessons learned over the last 50 years...
I think it was Film Critic Hulk who summed it up best:
Ask people what coffee they want and they all tell you "a strong, dark roast".
Actually look at what they buy and you see "mellow, weak and most likely decaf".

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Negatempest said:
Oh yeah, alot of the Xbone features don't work well outside the US do they? Honestly I have no idea what features work in the other 6 continents.
It's going to be a real nightmare negotiating relationships with cable TV and satellite providers across two hundred different countries, not to mention that a lot of services they want to provide for the US, like say the NFL brand link, are probably going to be completely blocked in other countries by copyright.

There's plenty of Xbox 360 functions that we don't even get now because they don't operate outside America.

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
ArchBlade said:
or some very oddly console-loyal friends that I have.
Loyal to Microsoft? wtf? That's like being loyal to the IRS, or a local street gang that occasionally breaks into your house to show you ads.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Kennetic said:
I understand why Europeans are upset about the Xbone's lack of services in your continent, however, the thing is an American product and the majority of the buyers are American so who do you think it's going to favor? Mind you, I hope the thing bombs but we'll have to wait til launch to see. I've always favored Sony over Microsoft anyways.
It's a ridiculous decision to alienate so much of their market. International sales are definitely not an insignificant part of the Xbox 360's sales and revenue. I couldn't find any recent statistics that were specific on this front, but, even if total international sales are only as low as 20-25 million units sold, then that's roughly 30% of their Xbox 360s being sold outside the USA.

The UK in particular has been a very strong region for the Xbox 360, and it's even outselling the Wii there, I believe, so pissing off what could potentially be one of your strongest markets and a growing consumer base in the UK right at a time when those buyers could be strengthened and cemented into loyal customers for your new console is really not a good thing for Microsoft to be doing. Both Sony and Nintendo (especially Nintendo) are truly global in their focus, and they deliberately try to extend their reach to every country in the world. XBone will be crushed in worldwide sales if they can't be equally international.

But, I still maintain that Microsoft doesn't care about Sony and Nintendo. They just want to outsell Apple TVs.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lets see what this survey says. a third of people dont want multimedia, meaning 2 thirds want it. thats the najority for those of you who dont know math.
majority is also excited for it, ignoring the fact that the % does not add to 100 ergo WTF poll. and no multiple options does not allow for making it over 100%, you just have to count votes and not people answered. basic statistics yo.

Silenttalker22 said:
ArchBlade said:
or some very oddly console-loyal friends that I have.
Loyal to Microsoft? wtf? That's like being loyal to the IRS, or a local street gang that occasionally breaks into your house to show you ads.
Loyalty can be weird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Azahul said:
Kennetic said:
The thing with that mentality is that it's perfectly ok, so long as you're willing to accept that you're not going to get sales outside of America. And the fact is that most of the world's population does not live in the United States, so you're kinda limiting your target audience. Like you, I'm hoping for the Xbone to crash and burn, it's just interesting to see Microsoft doing all they can to help achieve that objective...
for better or worse, america is the biggest gaming market by far. this america is the gamer market that should (and always is) catered the most.

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
Silenttalker22 said:
Yeah, that's about how how I feel about it. -.-
I didn't say I understood it.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Strazdas said:
for better or worse, america is the biggest gaming market by far. this america is the gamer market that should (and always is) catered the most.
But this approach leaves them ignoring over half their market. Which doesn't make sense to me at all.