Survey Says: UK "Underwhelmed" by Xbox One

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Negatempest said:
Oh yeah, alot of the Xbone features don't work well outside the US do they? Honestly I have no idea what features work in the other 6 continents.
Wait, there are seven continents? According Microsoft there are only two, North America and the Heathen Lands of the Unwashed Plebs.

The only suprising thing here is that some people were apparently excited by the reveal. Maybe they misclicked?

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
Kennetic said:
I understand why Europeans are upset about the Xbone's lack of services in your continent, however, the thing is an American product and the majority of the buyers are American so who do you think it's going to favor? Mind you, I hope the thing bombs but we'll have to wait til launch to see. I've always favored Sony over Microsoft anyways.
...You do realise that the US has about 5% of the world's population, right? So, if we follow the "focus on the US only" line of logic, that's a rather hefty 95% of the world's population being ignored.
Admittedly, there are certain countries which will have lower interests in a video game console in America (or an overall low interest in gaming, probably); but ignoring a percentage that high is really not a smart move. Instead of potentially bringing in huge numbers over the world, your mindset (and, if they share it, Microsoft's) actively discourages interest in the Xbone from a much larger number of people than it's actively trying to appeal to- especially given that the majority of the American audience is looking elsewhere for their consoles (or leaving consoles entirely.)

On topic: Yeah, this is enough to put me off buying the next gen XBOX. I'm not sure what I'll do, as I'm a laptop user and like playing games with a controller and on the TV. I guess I'll be buying a decent PC at some point in the future, when there's enough games that catch my interest out to justify an upgrade. In the mean time, I'll keep on playing my original XBOX and 360 games on my 360, and screw the Xbone.
I haven't actually watched the reveal, but can anyone confirm 100% for me what has been said about backwards compatibility with the Xbone?

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
Azahul said:
for better or worse, america is the biggest gaming market by far. this america is the gamer market that should (and always is) catered the most.
But based on what we have heard, they aren't really catering to the gaming market they are trying to make an all in 1 multimedia centre. A straight up game console would pan better through out the world IMO. I'm from the UK my self and its the other stuff that has me disinterested, as well as the crappy business practices.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Kennetic said:
I understand why Europeans are upset about the Xbone's lack of services in your continent, however, the thing is an American product and the majority of the buyers are American so who do you think it's going to favor? Mind you, I hope the thing bombs but we'll have to wait til launch to see. I've always favored Sony over Microsoft anyways.
ok these figures are from wikipedia so take them with a mountain of salt

xbox 360 sales in varies regions by 2009

USA - 39.4 million
EU - 23.73 million
Japan - 1.6 million

ok USA is the highest by a fair bit and japan is very low but europe had a crap tonne of sale and if a significant market. alienating so many customers is not a good thing

capcha : Tea With Jam - What i will be sharing with sony and nintendo rather than microsoft

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
read the title and all I could think of was the family guy Y2K episode with the drifter shouting "Show me potato salad!"
I would love to see a console reveal where a company front runner just points to an oversized screen behind him and yells something like that, then he just stands there pointing and nothing happens.

Wait, isn't that what Sony did with the PS4 reveal? LOL, just kidding, with their no-console-but-here's-a-controller.

I had one Xbox the first "one" (actually 2, the DVD drive stopped working on my first one) and two Xbox 360s. I was looking forward to Microsoft's next console, but considering that I'm in the military and their insane restrictions on being able to use the thing... So long Microsoft, I'll have to watch and see what Sony has planned for the next generation.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
badgersprite said:
Kennetic said:
It's a ridiculous decision to alienate so much of their market. International sales are definitely not an insignificant part of the Xbox 360's sales and revenue. I couldn't find any recent statistics that were specific on this front, but, even if total international sales are only as low as 20-25 million units sold, then that's roughly 30% of their Xbox 360s being sold outside the USA.

The UK in particular has been a very strong region for the Xbox 360, and it's even outselling the Wii there, I believe, so pissing off what could potentially be one of your strongest markets and a growing consumer base in the UK right at a time when those buyers could be strengthened and cemented into loyal customers for your new console is really not a good thing for Microsoft to be doing. Both Sony and Nintendo (especially Nintendo) are truly global in their focus, and they deliberately try to extend their reach to every country in the world. XBone will be crushed in worldwide sales if they can't be equally international.
Agreed, acording the VGchartz, North America (so not only the US), is 56% of the 360's market, going by units sold. So they're aleinating almost half their user base with this US-centric stuff. Also, with 8 million units sold in the UK, that over 10% of your market. Why go outof your way to give them reason to not buy your next machine?

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Nimzabaat said:
So PS4 shows games but no box and people are pissed. Xbone shows box and no games and people are pissed. If only there was a third company that could have learned from that... that hadn't already released a console that nobody cares about :)
That's the part that confused me. Why did people get pissed about not seeing the box, even though we got the tech specs for it? Honestly it is like complaining that a brewery didn't show their beer cans even though they talked about the beer.
I hear you. The PS4 is going to be a box as well. The only thing they could do differently with it is add a bunch of LEDs that would annoy you when you wake up at 4 am to get a drink or something. Also, as much as I hate Kinect and I really do, it's really the only feature that separates the two consoles. Kinect doesn't appeal to most hardcore gamers but is a draw for the more casual crowd that Sony isn't even trying for. Though it clearly discriminates against mutes :) (unless they have those assisted voice things so they use a computer to talk to their computer...)

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Kennetic said:
Just because the main buyers are American, ignoring the rest of the world because of that is not a clever idea. Hell, other American businesses make changes to their product range depending on where they sell. Look at McDonalds for an example, that sell area specific foods. Why Microsoft shouldn't be able to have area specific services with XBone escapes me.

That's actually more support than I thought it'd be. I've only managed to find people being excited for it because they weren't knowing of all these bad luggage the XBone is bringing along with it.

xxBucdieselxx

May 3, 2011
The only thing I got out of the Xbone reveal was that I will not be buying one. The checking in with microsofts servers every 24 hours, paying them for used games, that is enough to turn me away. So congrats microsoft, you are coming out with an all in one system, which no one really wants. If I wanted all those features I would buy a computer, as it can do more than your new console will.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
So some people must have listed both 'Excited' and 'Underwhelmed'? Interesting.

If someone was actually excited by the XB1 reveal I honestly can't imagine a realistic scenario that would disappoint them.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Zanderinfal said:
Who here is willing to bet it's alot more than just the UK that was underwhelmed?
Don't need to bet, it's the truth. XBone actually helps selling PS4 and WiiU's. I do think even Halo can't give people interest in it.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
I'm actually thinking that there is a chance this console could be a huge success, just not with the gaming crowd. It feels like they are trying to go after a much wider demographic with this one (a.k.a. everyone) more so than just the gaming crowd. So while our opinions range from outraged to indifferent (I'm on the indifferent side myself) it could take off with the public at large.

To me it seems like the indications are that they just don't care about hanging on to us anymore. That reveal clearly wasn't for the gaming community, it was for their investors and stock holders. Everything from the name of the console to the fact that they showcased almost nothing having to do with games shows that they aren't interested in catering to us, a demographic that they must feel they 'already have' and are instead focusing on casting a much wider net.

It's a gamble that may or may not pay off in their favor, but I guess in the end if things continue in this way the only thing we can do is cast our vote with our money.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
kailus13 said:
Strazdas said:
for better or worse, america is the biggest gaming market by far. this america is the gamer market that should (and always is) catered the most.
But this approach leaves them ignoring over half their market. Which doesn't make sense to me at all.
How is that? What are you loosing?
Lets see, xbox360 outside of america could play games.
xbone outside of america can play games.
what exactly did you lost? something you never had to begin with?

Ren_Li said:
...You do realise that the US has about 5% of the world's population, right? So, if we follow the "focus on the US only" line of logic, that's a rather hefty 95% of the world's population being ignored.
a 5% of worlds populating spanning for a third of gaming market. not a bad 5% to choose is it?
Best of the 3 said:
Look at McDonalds for an example, that sell area specific foods. Why Microsoft shouldn't be able to have area specific services with XBone escapes me.
your point was fair but McDonalds is not an american world spannign company. its a franchise. basically the Mcdonald in other countries are local restaurants with bought license to use name and sell products x.
Coca-Cola would be a good example for your case and woudl fit what you meant to say.

kyoodle said:
So some people must have listed both 'Excited' and 'Underwhelmed'? Interesting.

If someone was actually excited by the XB1 reveal I honestly can't imagine a realistic scenario that would disappoint them.
excited does not necessarely meant a godo thing though.
according to dioctionary.com it means:
stirred emotionally; agitated: An excited crowd awaited the arrival of the famed rock group.
stimulated to activity; brisk: an excited buying and selling of stocks.

Well, if a person was waiting for next xbox and got Xbone and his fantasies were shattered, id say stirred emotionaly would fit the decription quite well, as well as agitated. after all most posts here incuding those "fuck xbone" are agitated.

Also i suggest to remmeber what happened when Wii came out.
pretty much all gamers and game jurnalists market it as a failure, whther publically or privately. it is the most units sold console of this generation.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Strazdas said:
Something that Microsoft chose to focus on, which doesn't leave me feeling confident about the games. They didn't even show the games.

Strazdas said:
Also i suggest to remember what happened when Wii came out.
pretty much all gamers and game jurnalists market it as a failure, whther publically or privately. it is the most units sold console of this generation.
The difference there is that the Wii was by far the cheapest console to come out in that generation, and they mainly sold party games for that first massive rush. It also sold on the family friendly ticket. The Xbox One doesn't seem to have the price advantage, doesn't seem to have much appeal towards parents buying for their children, and doesn't seem so "social gathering" oriented.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Kennetic said:
It's not an American product. It's an international product. Same as the WiiU, same as the PS4. It's being developed for an international market and consumer base so it'd be nice to see a little bit of thought paid to us, especially as we make up a significant portion of the market (EU sales for the xbox 360 currently stand at just over half of U.S. sales).

This is just another part of Microsoft's ridiculous cock-up that is the xbox one.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Silenttalker22 said:
ArchBlade said:
or some very oddly console-loyal friends that I have.
Loyal to Microsoft? wtf? That's like being loyal to the IRS, or a local street gang that occasionally breaks into your house to show you ads.
YEP this is exactly what i get from my friends too 'what about forza' 'but it's good really' 'but the kinekt has potential'
but but but, yes everything has potential but until they DO something really worthwhile.. dont't expect more than 'meh.'
also the anti-consumerist bull%&)* war stepped up to def-con two with this console.

so yes, My two pence is exactly in this category as-well i'm underwhelmed but i'm not a fanboy of anything as soon as Microsoft produce something exceptional i'll buy it.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
This is because our internet is only just becoming acceptable for gaming and the preposterous dependence that Microsoft is suggesting is frightening.

Kennetic said:
They said in the presentation how FIFA ultimate team was the most popular online game mode and last I checked the USA weren't into "soccer" that much. By "majority" it's about 55%. If they lose that much of their market to Sony or even a reasonable percentage of that then they've cocked up big time
Corven said:
Cognimancer said:
The most common cause of excitement was the Xbox's cloud capabilities, with 31% eager to free up space on their hard drives.
Yeah, they'll save 5 MB on save games while filling the rest of their hard drive with 20+ GB game installs. Did these people even watch the conference, or do they think the cloud is some magical streaming service?
In fairness they pretty much did say it was a magical streaming service... assuming you've already coughed up for lovely nippy internet... and then you've got to pay for the privilege attempting to connect your Xbox to that internet... and THEN you've got to pay for your netflix subscription and all that jazz.

Oh shit, I've run out of money to buy games.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Daveman said:
and THEN you've got to pay for your netflix subscription and all that jazz.

Oh shit, I've run out of money to buy games.
i half jokingly wonder..

is this the plan? just stick a box in your front room that basically serves you adds and makes you say 'xbox' 50 times a day in voice commands.
that has to be deep mental product placement.

because honestly, who cares if they have the best games if people are literally brainwashed into thinking
entertainment = xbox. THAT is a scary thought.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
kailus13 said:
Strazdas said:
Something that Microsoft chose to focus on, which doesn't leave me feeling confident about the games. They didn't even show the games.

Strazdas said:
Also i suggest to remember what happened when Wii came out.
The difference there is that the Wii was by far the cheapest console to come out in that generation, and they mainly sold party games for that first massive rush. It also sold on the family friendly ticket. The Xbox One doesn't seem to have the price advantage, doesn't seem to have much appeal towards parents buying for their children, and doesn't seem so "social gathering" oriented.
fair enough, your afraid they focus on features that are not avaialbe to you to begin with (and unsure if ever will be). thats reasonable.
True Wii had a price advantage. Xbone is trying to cater to certain tv watchers audience and we are still in the unknown on their gaming focus (E3 is the key apperently), but to say that they have no market where they are trying to push is not true. there are many people that like such features, if there werent smart tvs wouldnt be so popular.