Survey: "Tweens" Want Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Survey: "Tweens" Want Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas

A new survey has found that Modern Warfare 2 [http://gh5.guitarhero.com/] are among the games most wanted by "tweens" this holiday season.

Conducted by ESRB [http://www.weeklyreaderresearch.com] rating that's above their age bracket.

The full survey results break down as follows:

Girls 8-10 Years Old
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 56 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 49 percent
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Rated E) - 44 percent

Girls 11-13 Years Old
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 53 percent
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 52 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 42 percent

Girls 14-17 Years Old
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 57 percent
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 48 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 48 percent

Boys 8-10 Years Old
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Rated E) - 48 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 47 percent
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 47 percent

Boys 11-13 Years Old
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 42 percent
- Modern Warfare 2 (Rated M) - 41 percent
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 41 percent

Boys 14-17 Years-Old
- Modern Warfare 2 (Rated M) - 46 percent
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 45 percent
- Halo 3 ODST (Rated M) - 39 percent

It'd be easy to glance at the survey and come away with the impression that an awful lot of kids will soon be playing videogames they shouldn't be anywhere near, but there's a big difference between wanting something and actually getting it, or even expecting it. I wanted things when I was that age that I knew I had virtually no chance of getting (mostly the attention of girls); it's a natural part of being young.

"As Game Crazy's survey indicates, it's not unusual for younger kids to want to play what the older kids are playing," ESRB president Patricia Vance said. "Parents need to understand that not all video games are intended for younger players. The ESRB ratings provide guidance about content and age-appropriateness so parents can make sure the games their kids play are suitable for their age."

The survey also found that two-thirds of kids plan to ask for a new videogame system over the holidays: 24 percent say they want a Nintendo DSi, while 21 percent want either a Wii or PlayStation 3. A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25819]

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
As long as they stay the fuck away from my vent, I'll be perfectly fine.

And Guitar hero V so popular? SHUUUUUUN!!!

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
A survey of 1000 people isn't really proportionate to the whole various age-group's, especially when you consider that there's really only a few hundred in each category.

kingcat1 said:
Good the rate system is terrible anyway let em play what them want
You want more 14 year olds screaming / singing down their microphones on CoD?

Praise be to party chat.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
uhhh, 11-13 years olds want MW2...
seems to be a trend appearing. I have a sense of dread now. time to mute my headset in preparation.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
D_987 said:
A survey of 1000 people isn't really proportionate to the whole various age-group's, especially when you consider that there's really only a few hundred in each category.

kingcat1 said:
Good the rate system is terrible anyway let em play what them want
You want more 14 year olds screaming / singing down their microphones on CoD?

Praise be to party chat.
Praise be to the Mute button, more like.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I would be more angry if I actually used game chat. Now I'm almost always in a party one with friends in the game.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Malygris said:
A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.
I thank you.

Didn't know the ladies where into Mario that much. Somebody should really get them a PS3 or a Xbox 360

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
O yes the fresh stack of noobs at Christmas I completely forgot about those, you gotta love fresh meat.

And to be honest I'm not all that surprised by that list...

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
what the heck is a tween? sound like a little bird or an infectious disease that will cause purple ninja zombie nazi bots, or it will when my funding comes through.
MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Amnestic said:
Praise be to the Mute button, more like.
Not so, I don't want to have to listen to any of the *word deleted* that plague high profile first person shooters - I do however want to communicate with friends in the same game - hence my praise is directed at party chat.

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
hearing how so many people want guitar hero makes me ashamed of liking it DAMN IT now i cant get it or ill be equivalent to an over-cursing immature 8 year old but i cant wait to pwn some new live noobs in CoD

benoitowns

Oct 18, 2009
its a bad thing.....if little kids get 360s, and get live, microsoft will spend more time marketing to kids, and eventually they will get a year or two older and get halo, then theyll be annoying kids screaming and crying into their mics...hope to god they get the xbox arcade

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Malygris said:
A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.
I'm guilty of using it in a conversation but it was regarding flash/flex not the age group.

When using it to refer to the age group it is one of those words that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, along with nails on a chalkboard, and when people use words like synergy synonymously with teamwork just because they think it sounds cooler.