Survey: "Tweens" Want Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
ESRB president Patricia Vance said. "Parents need to understand
Fixed that for you Patricia.

A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.
Bravo sir, bravo! Give 'em one from me, my son.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Malygris said:
Conducted by Game Crazy [http://www.weeklyreaderresearch.com]...
Wait, the very same Weekly Reader that I used to have to do as busy work in grammar school did this poll?

Seems out of character.

On topic... not surprising to me, seems to support many stereotypes about new Call of Duty fans. I mean, you can't expect too many kids these days to want to go retro with Dizzy, can you?

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Tweens. A concept that will dissapear if I ever rule the world. Eleven and twelve year olds should not be given any reason to think that they're any more than just children.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
But it seems to me as though this survey is biased. It's the same games on both sides. It makes me feel as though those were the only choices given and they had to rank them in order of which they wanted.[/quote]

Yeah thats what my thoughts were too, its starting to become hard to take any of these surveys seriosly. On won side though it would be great if a lot of people bought Modern Warfare, on the other side younger kids over live is always annoying, even most teens, but I dont thnk that will change anytime soon.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I´m more concerned about the fact that so many kids want Wii Sports Resort.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
purplegothchick said:
Dark Templar said:
The rating system is only a guideline anyway, let them play what they want.
It's actually the law. It's illegal to sell a mature game to a minor; however, their parents can buy it for them (a fact I became painfully aware of earlier in work when a woman got stroppy with me when I told her that Prototype was an 18 and therefore not suitable for her young son and that I couldn't legally sell it or even speak to him about it)
So let people warp their kids all they like by buying them inappropriate games for their age, as long as the kids don't try to buy them themselves!
I keep forgetting its the law.

I just have my older friends buy the games for me XD

Actsub

Oct 18, 2009
70% of posts in this thread consist of people around the age of 15 or 16 complaining about a vast minority of stupid, whiney kids in the form of "yeh this kid's r so fuc annoy me i wish they did SHUTUP lol!!!", grow up people and learn to select the 'mute player' button and let the little kid, excited over his Christmas present, enjoy it.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
Well, let's see [searches through games] 12/16 of my games are rated M... and I personally don't think games that came with my Xbox don't count so that means that 12/15 of my games are rated M. Oh, Lordy, I better lock myself up before I kill someone! Wait, I'm not a tween. Thank God those few years mean something, or else people would be dyin' all around me right now.

But seriously, I have been playing violent games and watching violent TV since I was 7, and I seem to be doing fine.

Demonraiser

Jul 8, 2009
they need to paste a giant sign on all M rated games for the blind adults that say: "THIS GAME WITH FUCK WITH YOUR KIDS HEAD!!!!" so there are less whiny 9 year olds screaming in Mics ala CS:S

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Malygris said:
The survey also found that two-thirds of kids plan to ask for a new videogame system over the holidays: 24 percent say they want a Nintendo DSi, while 21 percent want either a Wii or PlayStation 3. A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25819]

Where there statistics on the ones wanting the 360, or were they too small to note or was it meant to be PS3 Wii and 360 21% Or am I missing something?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
D_987 said:
You want more 14 year olds screaming / singing down their microphones on CoD?
My thoughts exactly.
In my opinion the kids shouldn't be playing it unless mentally they're over 20, or they actually are 20.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Malygris said:
It'd be easy to glance at the survey and come away with the impression that an awful lot of kids will soon be playing videogames they shouldn't be anywhere near, but there's a big difference between wanting something and actually getting it, or even expecting it. I wanted things when I was that age that I knew I had virtually no chance of getting (mostly the attention of girls); it's a natural part of being young.
Honestly, it's pretty reasonable to assume a good chunk of these kids will be getting MWII. I hang out around the local game shops during my spare time (with friends working at Game Stop and Game Crazy) and in both shops parents are constantly buying M-Rated titles for their 'pre-teen' male children.

My buddies try to warn the parents, but one of the following (usually) happens (most to least common):
1.) The parent doesn't speak English, and as such doesn't understand period.
2.) The parent sort-of speaks English, but is entirely unfamiliar with the ESRB ratings and ignores the employee.
3.) The parent is aware of the ratings, but doesn't care.
4.) The parent asks the child if they think they're sure they should be playing this. (I swear to god, this happens).
5.) The parent puts the game back and drags their screaming brat out of the store.

Admittedly, this is in a community where 43% of the community is 'Latino', and roughly 53% 'White' according to a 2005 survey, so the language issue is probably a southern-half-of-the-US problem. All the same, kids are still getting their hands on M-rated games more often than most want to admit, because it doesn't reflect well on the gaming community (albeit its not really so much employees and more of parents not paying attention to their kids).

Personally, I was playing HALO, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, and Grand Theft Auto III (admittedly, with all the media hype I had to sneak GTA past my parents), before I'd turned 18.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Come one guys, Guitar hero? Really. Jeez I thought we had all passed that point by now.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
kingcat1 said:
Good the rate system is terrible anyway let em play what them want
No.
If all the kids are allowed to play M rated games, then we shall become flooded with multiple children which we do not like. This will force me off the console and unto my PC, which I normally wouldn't complain about, except that it seems that an alarming number of children are... using the PC as their designated game play station.
Eventually, they shall be lead to the Escapist. And then we will get those threads again saying "Why are kids on xbawx livez hated"
They must be destroyed.

Sgtkillalot0

Sep 29, 2009
As a 15 year old, I do say if anyone uses the word 'tween', they should 'go die in a fire'. It just pisses me off, donno why. Usually I don't care, but I guess I do for this.

Terazeal

Sep 10, 2008
Wow, this thread is just saturated with ageism. It's pretty disgusting. I mean, it's oozing everywhere...

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Hold on there, Andy. Are you saying that Modern Warfare 2 is going to be cluttered with obnoxious, underage boys that know little to nothing of FPS gaming? That sounds a little absurd to me. It's not like that ever happened with every FPS ever or anything.

Thediscoducky

Apr 17, 2008
Hang on...
Malygris said:
Boys 14-17 Years-Old
- Modern Warfare 2 (Rated M) - 46 percent
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 45 percent
- Halo 3 ODST (Rated M) - 39 percent
There's a total of 130%?

Also, fuck Activision. Makes me angry that so many people get, or want, to play Modern Warfare 2 and I still refuse too.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
These issues are always more complex than most people make them out to be. No, playing MW2 will not turn 11-year-olds into ravenous killing machines, and no, toddlers should not be watching Kill Bill and playing Manhunt. It's a matter of mental and emotional maturity, which isn't the same as someone's age. When you're so young that you're still impressionable, if you're exposed to the wrong stuff in the wrong context, that leads to warped views on morality and respect for life. But if a kid plays Grand Theft Auto and subsequently goes on a shooting spree, that's not a reflection on Grand Theft Auto, that's a reflection on the kid's preexisting mental instability.

While I don't think that 'tweens' who want to play a game like MW2 have an appropriate amount of respect for the subject matter (I doubt many of them grasp how drastic the difference between real war and pretend entertainment war is), I don't think withholding it from them is going to improve their character at all as an act in itself. The real crime is sheltering children from all forms of violence and offensive material, for fear of making a bad impression, instead of displaying it to them in the context of being a bad thing. If a kid's most formative encounters with the idea of 'war' are playing a video game designed to entertain him, and one that is supposedly modeled after real modern-day military combat, I would call that a somewhat lopsided picture of what war is like.

Wait, you weren't picking a fight about the influence of violent video games on children? But...but I wrote all this text...