Survey: "Tweens" Want Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Guys Guys! More tweens playing = higher K/D ratio! Let the cannon fodder come play with us, mute the poor things then shoot them if the face. They can barely grip the controller with their still-childish hands.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Malygris said:
A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.
I hope that never happens just because if it did I'd have to see my doctor about the uncontrollable erection that that sort of reality would induce.

KoreyGM said:
zombflux said:
Kids shouldn't be kept away from things anyway
No they shouldn't but it should be at the parents discretion.
Considering most parents haven't the slightest idea about developmental psychology or apparently even remember their own childhood.

Parents primary goals should be to give their children the most avenues for growth possible. That way they give the maximum level of nurture to help reach to the fullest extent of the growth possible from nature (IE feed your kids properly and they'll reach their maximum possible height given the limitations of their genetics).

As a child my parents let me play any game I wanted, from Monopoly to Manhunt I've dabbled from board game to blow em' up. Did I end up shooting people, raping people, doing drugs, or anything that gets attributed to these stimuli (quite erroneously I might add)? No. I grew up, went to college and am doing alright.

The ESRB is nonsense, there is no strong evidence (or really evidence at all) that gaming results in any negative after effects. A great parent will be a strong enough catalyst to alleviate any actual negative effects. There aren't nearly enough great parents out there, which at least in the US might be caused by the virile distaste towards intellectualism.

To be fair to parents however there is nothing you can do for a few exceptionally unfortunate psychological disorders. ...Course these days the consumerism is destroying the legitimacy of many of the disorders by mass marketing and broadening the guidelines for what constitutes certain problems like ADD.

But that's another rant for another day.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I'm a teenager and for Christmas, i want Assassins Creed 2 (PS3), Dragon Age: Origins(PC), Demons Souls (PS3) , World In Conflict (PC), Brutal Legend (PS3) and Orange Box (PC)

I think I'm in the minority of teenagers here, but at least i have a good taste in games, music, books, etc. and i'm not an asshole online (don't abuse the mic and other things like that)

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
Omega 2521 said:
A year ago this november, a friend and I had entered the local gamestop to pick up the recently released Gears of war 2. There was a boy, who could be no older than 6 or 7 begging his mother to purchase the game for him saying "all his friends were getting it". She conceded and bought him the game even after the cashier vouched for the game's gratuitous gore and violence. The mother old him that she didn't need his "hack" opinion on parenting and left the store. Truly, truly sad.
Actually, last year, when i got fallout 3 CE for PS3, my mum was with me and the chick at EB said "this game was banned in australia because of drugs" and "this game has tonnes of violence' (something like that). My mum still bought it for me, because she knows i can handle it. And i had even shown her footage of the game before then.

Point is, even though i may sound like a hypocrite, little children should not be able to get these types of games with gratuitous violence, swearing and so on, because majority of them are not mature enough to handle it, many themes and things like that will fly over their heads, and, in case of multiplayer, generally ruining the experience for others (if they have headsets). Same goes for the majority of people around my age.

And, another story, when i play Bad Company with my friend online, we talk to each other through the headset and his younger brothers are near him watching him play. And they talk loudly and shout into the headset. Next time, i'm going to tell my friend to put his headset a little louder, so i can shout and tell his brothers to fuck off. It's really annoying having others ruin your online experience.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Parents will buy their asshole kids they never should have had any game they want so long as there is no polygonal nudity, then complain that kids play too many violent videogames when they actually SEE what they got them and because they blame everyone but themselves, demand government step in to do something despite having a rating system in place that TELLS them it's inappropriate for their brat which they ignored in the first place! ugh!

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Really? This is surprising news that MW2 is on every preteen boy's Christmas list? I saw that coming a mile off. But I guess the survey makes it official.

We've (nearly) all been on Xbox live, we all know a very large percentage of the the playerbase is clearly much younger than the ESRB wants them to be. Well, it's up to the parents, I guess.

It seems it's mostly the more mature types--at least 16 and up--that want to play the slightly less-hyped M-rated games like Borderlands and L4D2. Wonder why this is?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
...why isn't Dragon Age Origins up there? ARGH!
Because people don't want it. They want derivative FPs games and not something that might challenge them mentally. These are teenagers we're talking about, and exceptions aside, they are pretty stupid on average...

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
Malygris said:
A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.
I thank you.

Didn't know the ladies where into Mario that much. Somebody should really get them a PS3 or a Xbox 360
I think they're just into the Wii.

My girlfriend has 5 of them.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Not that surprising really, my younger brother aways nags me about when he is able to play with my copies of Fallout 3, Dawn of War 2, Assassins Creed etc.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Hard hitting and important news. I'm sure no-one knew before that people played games which they were 'to young' for.
...Unless they own a mic and xbox live connection. : /

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. BUT! The inclusion of Wii Sports Resort for 11-13 surprises me, as does GH5 for the youngest bracket. I suppose that one is a case of "all the cool kids have it so let's be a sheep and get it" or whatever you call it.

As for the rating thing? My parents wouldn't let me play GTA3+ (and the 2D ones, but we never had them) until I was about 14-15, I think, maybe a bit younger. And only then it was because my younger step-brother (of sorts) brought it over with his PS2 every weekend or so. Ever since, I've been a "fan" of GTA! I've not been affected by it, because I know it's just a game. I'm 19 now, and as such, I've only in the past year managed to start buying "adult" games myself, i.e. GTA, Dragon Age: Origins (which I get next week <3), so if I wanted an adult rated game, my mum had to get it for me, and as such she monitored what I played.

It is up to the parents to decide what their child plays. My parents could easily have turned around and told me they don't want me to play X, Y or Z, but I've been damn lucky in that regard.

But hey, for all you MW2 players, enjoy your easy kills! :D

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
D_987 said:
A survey of 1000 people isn't really proportionate to the whole various age-group's, especially when you consider that there's really only a few hundred in each category.

kingcat1 said:
Good the rate system is terrible anyway let em play what them want
You want more 14 year olds screaming / singing down their microphones on CoD?

Praise be to party chat.
That's a rather large generalization

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
has anyone else noticed...

not that they all want games they shouldnt...dont care what kidns want...

all the games there are craptivision or nintendo with only ODST that isnt...

makes me sad...if you should ever believe surveys i would call the end of the games industry right now

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Nurb said:
Parents will buy their asshole kids they never should have had any game they want so long as there is no polygonal nudity, then complain that kids play too many violent videogames when they actually SEE what they got them and because they blame everyone but themselves, demand government step in to do something despite having a rating system in place that TELLS them it's inappropriate for their brat which they ignored in the first place! ugh!

snip
Government intervention in the sales and viewing of game material, in my personal opinion is wrong, people should be allowed to view/play anything they want, they should however be properly warned about the material they are going to play/view, but limiting what people can play/view is rather stupid

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Unless they have a driving license..BREAK THEIR FINGERS..'cause there is enough twats that don't have their balls dropped playing on Call of Duty 4.

and those are the ones that end up calling you a ****** or something. hard to tell cause their voice is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Where's the signup sheet for a band of roving Adult(over 20yrs) gamers going around the middle schools and grade schools(K-6th grade) and breaking fingers of any boys who own MW2?

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
Mordwyl said:
New Super Mario Bros? The girls have better taste in games than the boys do.
more like: more suited for your taste.

so a game less immersive, less tension with a lame excuse of a plot i.e: (let me make a WILD guess here) princess peach gets her arse kidnapped by bowser AGAIN and it's up to Mario(and his friends) to save her. Bravo, that's the kind of scripting that's going to get an academy awards.

so i guess if all of that's up your alley, then hooray for you.(yes, i am flaming, but i seriously cannot stand all these nintendo fanboys anymore...)

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
anyways: back to the topic, yes, sadly tween boys nowadays generally have a tendency to be big jerks where playing online is concerned. and so, i'll belong to the camp that says: i sure hope they don't get their hands on COD:MW2.