Surviving Bloodborne - 10 Tips and Tricks

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Surviving Bloodborne - 10 Tips and Tricks

Having trouble with the unforgiving nature of Bloodborne? Are you seeing that death screen too much? Use these tips and tricks to avoid gamer rage and keep your sanity.

Read Full Article

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Not bad tips. I've completed several areas just by taking the "coward" route and skipping just about every enemy. It's apparently something I'm pretty good at considering I rarely get killed or even hit doing it.

Doing that isn't so advantageous when I unwittingly step into a boss room for the first time, however. Though it is hilarious when that happens.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Good tips, though I have a few extra ones to give out.

Don't also forget ...
"Tip #???: Take full advantage of the health regen system. If you have to go Berserk to get it back, try to do it, but keep an open eye out for any unsuspected enemies."
"Tip #Unknown: Do not ... I repeat, DO NOT miss the first boss. I skipped it because I had a bad feeleing about the bridge, turns out I got trapped by the second boss, and lost MANY echoes."

Still, I've been sticking to many of those tips, and they really seem to help ... especially since I'm a newbie to this kind of game.
Well, that and I've seen a Youtubers play DS2.

EDIT:
"Tip #Extra!: Take high alert with the dogs, they will bite you in the ass ... LITERALLY! Not just that, it will fuck everything up!"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I am trying to do the stagger gun thing and I REALLY suck at it. I'll get it down eventually though.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Out of interest how easy it is to be summoned? If it's as simple (or close to) as it was in DKS and 2 then I heartily recommend:

Be a summon (not summoner).
Seems weird, going out of your way to help people when you're struggling but bear in mind an extra sword hand is rarely frowned upon. Like I said I don't know the risk/reward/ease of summoning so take it with a pinch of salt but personally I always found the best way to scout an area, learn some valuable secrets and improve your ability was to be a summon. That way you get a relatively risk free way of exploring and can see some nasty ambushes. If your host is exceptionally talented then follow their lead, if not then go first to save their hide from the unknown.

Also:
If you're skilled, summon and be summoned.
I know a huge number of Souls players do this anyway but seriously, if you breeze the game compared to others then you should summon people and show them what you know, protect them so they can gain valuable experience (in both senses) and lead them to any secrets you know. Similarly as a summon diligently protect your host and go out of your way to try and lead them to secrets you know of or alternative safer routes/ambush points.

Like I said, not seen the co op elements much so I'm mostly posting to ask about that (how hard is it to summon? Can you do it anywhere? What's the range on the bells like? You still get xp/echoes from mobs being a summon right? etc) but still, veteran Souls experience taught me that the benefit of jolly co-operation flows both ways and if you don't need the help you should still seek it to impart what you know.
Plus when you get other similarly skilled players along for a ride you end up with some beautiful moments. The corridor up to Velstadt has spawned some of the finest examples of sheer badassery from teams.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
erttheking said:
I am trying to do the stagger gun thing and I REALLY suck at it. I'll get it down eventually though.
Do you mean parrying with the gun? Because I'm a bit later into the game than just the intro (6 bosses killed, I believe) and I wouldn't say that not being great at parrying is really going to kill your chances of getting through the game. I could parry a lot of enemies in Central Yharnam very easily but after some progress it starts becoming less worthwhile to do so unless you can get the timing down perfectly due to limited resources. That said, there are some enemies you will almost certainly need to parry if you want to kill them reliably at the point you reach them. Not too many, but they're there.

Really, I started with the Hunter Pistol and find myself barely using it besides on the more easily parryable enemies and hail mary shots on bosses to hope it stuns them.

Another tip for new players. The hunter axe's charged R2 attack is godlike to knock down many enemies and even some bosses (if not knock them down, stun them). Just don't...spam it without caution though. You need to wait for a good opportunity to present itself.
Hugga_Bear said:
Out of interest how easy it is to be summoned?
My experiences with the online features have been positive, but I wouldn't say they're better (or worse for that matter) than either of the Souls games. They just function mostly how they're supposed to, which is fine. Basically, you have a bell which acts as a summoning tool (you ring it and the effect is left on until people join your game) and a smaller bell which searches for the 'ring' of the bigger bell. You can input a network password to make finding your friends much easier. In that sense, it's like Dark Souls 2's cat ring or whatever it was called. But at the same time, you might have to wait a bit to connect with friends. Probably because the game just came out and the servers can be wonky at times.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
All I got to say is I died at the first boss and have been trying to restock my supply of Molotovs as I had to use a few to get to it. I haven't even had the opportunity to spend any souls on upgrades yet because the only two damn entrances to the hunters dream are miles back by the time you get to the bridge.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
It's important to note how the PVP system meshes into Coop. When you ring your beckoning bell a bell ringing maiden appears in your world. While she is around you are open to people using the Sinister Resonant Bell to invade you as Red Hunters. There are also some zones in the game that start with a bell ringing maiden already in them.

Mesozoic

Mar 28, 2015
Colt47 said:
All I got to say is I died at the first boss and have been trying to restock my supply of Molotovs as I had to use a few to get to it. I haven't even had the opportunity to spend any souls on upgrades yet because the only two damn entrances to the hunters dream are miles back by the time you get to the bridge.
Did you obtain the shortcut by the boss? If you have already encountered the first boss then you should be able to get to the hunters dream and back to the boss within about 4 or 5 enemies.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Mesozoic said:
Colt47 said:
Did you obtain the shortcut by the boss? If you have already encountered the first boss then you should be able to get to the hunters dream and back to the boss within about 4 or 5 enemies.
Oh crap, I think I opened a door somewhere, but is the shortcut that other gate? I don't think I ever opened up a gate near the bridge boss. Great, more running through the first area... and you need molotovs for the damn werewolves..