Suspected PAX Breach Code Thief Goes Fugitive

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Quaidis said:
Personally, I believe that the idiot lives in some small world where, by playing on a computer or game system, he is invulnerable to the real world and any consequences for his actions.
I'm sure he understands the consequences and is out there right now trying to find a place to get his car repainted so the cops will stop chasing after him.

(I'm sorry, I had to.)

Personally I think this kid's one of those ones you meet who never really grew up and hasn't been in Real Trouble before and has panicked. Granted, running is absolutely the worst and most moronic thing to do, but about what I'd expect someone with, say, a 10 year old's outlook on the world to do. He'll be found and go to court and we'll get our first good look at him and I'm willing to bet the expression on his face will be ready-made for a WTF? image macro. Assuming he's not crying.

But at this point this is all conjecture. Beyond the accusation and the fact that he ran, everything's rumor. I'm waiting - and morbidly curious - to see what happens next before I get out my big "IDIOT" stamp and smack him on the forehead.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
He'll be found and go to court and we'll get our first good look at him and I'm willing to bet the expression on his face will be ready-made for a WTF? image macro. Assuming he's not crying.
Personally? My money's on crying.

Or, if he's incredibly stupid - as in far more than any of us may already think he is - smiling in an "Orly?" fashion, as if it's a joke.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
John Funk said:
Update: Joystiq has his gamertag, and has noted that wherever he is, he's playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/30/breach-thief-jumps-bail-currently-playing-modern-warfare-2/]. Well done, Guilty von Dumbass. Well done. What, you couldn't wait until after your court date to download the Stimulus Package?
Ah man, I'm so worn out from running from the law. Time to sit back and play some COD!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Shjade said:
Formica Archonis said:
He'll be found and go to court and we'll get our first good look at him and I'm willing to bet the expression on his face will be ready-made for a WTF? image macro. Assuming he's not crying.
Personally? My money's on crying.
Or, if he's incredibly stupid - as in far more than any of us may already think he is - smiling in an "Orly?" fashion, as if it's a joke.
Given that the up-to-the-second current gossip is that he's currently online and playing Call of Duty, I think "incredibly stupid" just picked up a few more votes.:/ I hold out hope that it's a big mistake and that it's not him. No one could possibly be stupid enough to go online with their own ID while wanted by the cops. Especially not when wanted for theft from a game developer, resulting in a far more techno-savvy maligned party and news media than most white-collar crimes. I'd be like stealing the Mona Lisa and then trying to get it listed at an art auction under your own name.

I hope no one's that stupid.

I hope.

Good Lord, I hope....

If I hope any harder I'm gonna break something.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Quaidis said:
Where does it say that he attempted to bribe cops? I failed to read that tidbit as of yet.
Personally, I believe that the idiot lives in some small world where, by playing on a computer or game system, he is invulnerable to the real world and any consequences for his actions. Such a mentality exists everywhere online. The fact that the police arrested him and he is charged for some serious crimes that he may or may not have committed probably has gone over his head to the point that he fully intended to 'wake up and pretend it never happened' the next day. Go to court? It would be far easier to escape into video games.
That mentality has been around long before the computer came about. Used to be people thought it didn't matter if you didn't live in the jurisdiction, or if the person offended was of a different economic or ethnic class than the offender.
I know I wished a couple times a speeding ticket would go away when I woke up the next day, but they never did and I paid them.
Susan Arendt said:
You can't possibly be defending this guy's actions. You can't possibly be saying he was in any way, in the right to be stealing code from the show floor. You just can't be.
I stand with you, Susan, on this, and find it quite appalling that someone would eagerly step to the defense of this loser and even accuse Escapists of bigotry. I do find it rather comforting that he is the only one to say so in this thread up to now. But still disturbing.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
I stand with you, Susan, on this, and find it quite appalling that someone would eagerly step to the defense of this loser
Now now, everyone, according to our legal system, deserves some kind of defense. In court, at least. Maybe not on public forums.

@Formica: that's not up for debate - there are people that stupid. It simply remains to be seen whether this particular guy is that stupid.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Shjade said:
samsonguy920 said:
I stand with you, Susan, on this, and find it quite appalling that someone would eagerly step to the defense of this loser
Now now, everyone, according to our legal system, deserves some kind of defense. In court, at least. Maybe not on public forums.

@Formica: that's not up for debate - there are people that stupid. It simply remains to be seen whether this particular guy is that stupid.
Okay I will rephrase: I find it appalling that someone would eagerly and selfrighteously step to the defense of the actions that this stupid moron was alleged to have done, and then allege worse actions back upon The Escapist.

[sub]I'm reminded of cases where a burglar sued a homeowner for damages when the moron hurt themself during the act of burglarizing the owner's house.[/sub]

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
LTK_70 said:
Tempest Fox said:
Breakin' the law, breakin' the law! Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

...sorry, couldn't help it. How deep of a grave you think this kid can dig himself in to? He's already gotten this far, how much further could he possibly go?
Oh, there's plenty deeper to dig from here. He could buy (or steal) a gun, use it to jack a car, get caught in a high-speed car chase, crash and start a police shootout, and finally put a bullet in his own head. I'd say that's about the point where you hit rock bottom.
And, just before he dies, he realises that he's in a rat faeces processing plant (I have no idea if they exist, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised). He falls into a vat but is still resuscitated in the ambulance that is sent to get him, which he tries to hijack in a frenzied terror (and no doubt influenced by the fact that he has rat faeces in a bullet hole leading to his brain), crashing it into a senior citizen's nudist beach. He holes up here until the cops come and, after another shootout, he's put in prison and makes friends with an eight foot shaved monkey called Bubba.

It can always get worse ;)

OT - Yeah, this guy is a fool. And I've seen some A-grade fools in my time. I think this guy is worse than one of my roommates who decided he'd rather go clubbing than attend his uni exam resits, and that's pretty fucking foolish.

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Congratulations, You win the Dumbass award.

You would think someone who goes to steal a computer code would have more knowledge of these things and generally avoid being detected by the internet.

Kinda reminds me of the story of the guy who stalked the guy who stole his iPhone the other day.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Awexsome said:
Now they'll just show up at his house...

"STOP! You've violated the law!" Yeah I bet the dude thinks that it's not a big deal. He's in for an unpleasant suprise.

And as for the whole piracy issue going on? I'm with Funk. Piracy is not good. The thing we should argue is how to fight it.

**I've heard rumor that he's willing to rat out some of his friends that are also in the same boat he is with pirating. Anyone else hear about that?
Holy fuck those cops would be my hero's forever if they caught him and said the whole line, bonus points if they do it while fully clad in armor, but what if he resists arrest? Hmmm if he's successfully sneaking there's no way we'll eve convict him.

Any way I hope this guy win's a Darwin Award.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Calumon: Time to bring in THE DAWG!*

-snip-
Now imagine this song playing, and we have a sick-ass montage.

They're coming after you, pirate. Bob Seger, and the law.

I look forward to seeing the results of such events. Should be quite interesting.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
You can't possibly be defending this guy's actions. You can't possibly be saying he was in any way, in the right to be stealing code from the show floor. You just can't be.
Why not? People try to rationalize theft all the time in its digital form, why not try to rationalize it in physical form? It seems like a logical next step.

Though! He's still technically innocent until he has his day in cou... Oh, wait.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Wow, this is just really amazing to how stupid people can get. Bet the next thing that's going to happen is that police are going to find where he's play COD, "try" to arrest him, but he successfully flees from police, only to come back to his Xbox360 the same day and play more COD, and then the cops will finally arrest him because they noticed his tag was up on live.

I know this guy deserves a defense, and their are those that sympathize with the remote possibility that there was no malcontent with his Ethernet cable, but either way this story will not get another serious follow through for weeks if not months because of his possible defense. If a defense lawyer finds out absolutely that he didn't take any code, "intention" to steal doesn't matter, if there is no concrete proof on his laptop of the crime, then they could spend months with a cheap lawyer constantly arguing that it's all circumstantial without real hard evidence to back up the claims.
For all we know he could walk Scott free because their was no proof. Well Scott free on the stealing charges. I think the lesson here is very simple, "If you really like something, DON'T whip it (your Ethernet cable) out, good things come in time."

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Wow... and just when you thought this guy couldn't have been more stupid... he apparently tried to BRIBE the police XD

"Witnesses tell Kotaku that May admitted to trying to steal the files and then tried to bribe a police officer with $100." Source: http://kotaku.com/5507399/suspected-game-code-thief-surrenders-to-authorites

And chances are he skipped bail...because mommy and daddy didn't know he'd been arrested.