Suspending the Election

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
In a move the surprises no one, Trump suggests we should suspend the election

I’ll note that election were held during the time the British was burning down the White House and during the Civil War. If they managed to have elections then, I don’t see why this would stop it

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No one else is on board with that though, not democrats, not republicans and the only ones that can do that are congress so its one of those things that won't go anywhere.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
No one else is on board with that though, no democrats, not republicans and the only ones that can do that are congress so its one of those things that won't go anywhere.
Congress hasn’t been that interested in stopping him before. Let’s just say I won’t be surprised if they don’t stop him now

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Congress hasn’t been that interested in stopping him before. Let’s just say I won’t be surprised if they don’t stop him now
Oh, no, you mean hes already declared himself dictator for life and there is nothing we can do? Quick, everyone on the left load one bullet in your "I give up" gun and cap the person to your right.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Should I say it? I'm saying it.

Now, we'll have to see if congress lets him do it, and just how far down this dangerous rabbit hole he's going to go.

Will he be blocked and claim that "the election was illegitimate"?

Will that kick off mass right wing unrest as the Cult of MAGA feel like it was a coup and the real crazies with guns "do something" about it?

Will the GOP just "lol fuck you we're going to back him even if it violates the constitution" and the dems will just wag their finger and impotently let him take a second term because it's good for fundraising?

Will the military do their job and kick him out if he refuses to leave the white house?

Will the military fall in behind him if he demands that he should stay in power?

Will they just drag it out for a few months hoping that Ruth Bader Ginsberg dies, then ram through a right wing justice before booting trump?

I don't know! Find out next time on American History Z!

...Seriously though. Brace for impact, this ride's going off the rails. I've got NO idea where this is going. Norms are already being thrown out the window, your constitution is frequently getting dumped on already, I legit can't predict how this will actually end up, and it could very easily get messy in at least some capacity.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Except it's not in his hands. Elections, for the most part, aren't ran by the federal government, though they do set the date and certain criteria and regulations by statute. States run the elections and, as hinky as some states have been with their elections, delaying the general election is an extremely unpopular act across the board and the grounds for doing so would be flimsy at the least given the months the states have had to prepare.

Ironically, because it would require an act of congress, the proposal is DOA even in the GOP senate. Given they're still dealing with the internal strife from the White House additions to the Senate stimulus proposal (the FBI building funds in particular), I doubt there's an appetite to act on the president's request.

Reactions: Buyetyen

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Most likely I'll be in Canada. But since so much of the world learns about the US, I'm probably going to have to answer to my Grandchildren why did these past four years go like this.

I can say I voted for Hillary and Republicans used Redmap and Voter Suppression to get us to the Orange Man taking the Election. It's not a great answer. But it's one that I can at least say with some pride. It wasn't that the Browncoats lost, it was that the Browncoats fought.

Once the faithful get out of the Trump-fueled Haze... I only wonder what they will say. I'm so really curious.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Most likely I'll be in Canada. But since so much of the world learns about the US, I'm probably going to have to answer to my Grandchildren why did these past four years go like this.

I can say I voted for Hillary and Republicans used Redmap and Voter Suppression to get us to the Orange Man taking the Election. It's not a great answer. But it's one that I can at least say with some pride. It wasn't that the Browncoats lost, it was that the Browncoats fought.

Once the faithful get out of the Trump-fueled Haze... I only wonder what they will say. I'm so really curious.
Probably the same shit they said after Nixon. Adamant they were on the side of the angels despite all evidence to the contrary.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States

I'm not at the point where I regret my 2016 vote. But I am at the point where I'm more likely to spoil my ballot when it comes to the presidential election than I am to vote for Trump.
Not that it matters much. He will win my state regardless.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I'm not at the point where I regret my 2016 vote. But I am at the point where I'm more likely to spoil my ballot when it comes to the presidential election than I am to vote for Trump.
You know, that's actually a fairly big deal, coming from you, mate.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
You know, that's actually a fairly big deal, coming from you, mate.
If you told me that I would say this a year ago, I wouldn't have believed you.
But after everything he's done mishandling the Covid-19 crisis has served as a major frustration and a belief that he should not get another term.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you told me that I would say this a year ago, I wouldn't have believed you.
But after everything he's done mishandling the Covid-19 crisis has served as a major frustration and a belief that he should not get another term.
I didn’t think I saw you speak much in that thread. What did you think was mishandled specifically?

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I didn’t think I saw you speak much in that thread. What did you think was mishandled specifically?
Pretty much everything except the initial attempt at a travel ban.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Pretty much everything except the initial attempt at a travel ban.
I would have said even that as late compared to how quickly other countries shut down their borders. A couple of weeks earlier could have saved thousands of lives.

But that just me reacting to Trump stating how good he was shutting down the borders.... After lots of people on both sides of politics had been demanding him to do it beforehand.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've seen even fervent Trump lackeys like Mitch McConnell have reacted by going "Ummm...no" so thankfully I don't see him getting the free ride he wants.

Though a question for people who are more knowledgeable about US law; if Trump does get the election delayed, does that effect his actual term time? Would no election mean he gets to continue sitting as president unopposed or would he cease being president at the legal end of his term and the presidency goes to, like, a regent for a bit until they can actually have an elected president take over?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
From what I've seen even fervent Trump lackeys like Mitch McConnell have reacted by going "Ummm...no" so thankfully I don't see him getting the free ride he wants.

Though a question for people who are more knowledgeable about US law; if Trump does get the election delayed, does that effect his actual term time? Would no election mean he gets to continue sitting as president unopposed or would he cease being president at the legal end of his term and the presidency goes to, like, a regent for a bit until they can actually have an elected president take over?
Trump is out of office on January 20, 2021. Doesn't matter what date the election is, whether its before or after that date, that's when his term is up. The term length has nothing to do with the date of the election.

Changing either the date of the election or the date of his term ending would require an act of Congress.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Trump isn't Caesar. He can't just keep renewing his command in order to prevent his Imperium from expiring.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
No one else is on board with that though, not democrats, not republicans and the only ones that can do that are congress so its one of those things that won't go anywhere.
But there are Republicans who are doing the forced-laugh thing and saying "Ha ha, he sure trolled you idiots, what a fine joke!" But if Obama had said that while wearing a clown wig and hitting Biden in the face with a custard pie, Republicans would still have been firebombing the White House by lunchtime.

Reactions: Aegix Drakan

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Trump is out of office on January 20, 2021. Doesn't matter what date the election is, whether its before or after that date, that's when his term is up. The term length has nothing to do with the date of the election.

Changing either the date of the election or the date of his term ending would require an act of Congress.
So if he did bully his way into getting what he wanted and moved the election, who would assume power when Trump's term ended and there was no President-elect to take his place?

Trump isn't Caesar. He can't just keep renewing his command in order to prevent his Imperium from expiring.
Has anyone told him that?