Suspending the Election

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
From what I've seen even fervent Trump lackeys like Mitch McConnell have reacted by going "Ummm...no" so thankfully I don't see him getting the free ride he wants.

Though a question for people who are more knowledgeable about US law; if Trump does get the election delayed, does that effect his actual term time? Would no election mean he gets to continue sitting as president unopposed or would he cease being president at the legal end of his term and the presidency goes to, like, a regent for a bit until they can actually have an elected president take over?
I prepared a YouTube video on this for your perusal

In short, no. And if the election was delayed, Pat Leahy might become President Pro Tempore until an election is completed

Reactions: Palindromemordnilap

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
I prepared a YouTube video on this for your perusal
Legal Eagle is a great resource. I like his analysis of pop culture.

I would say there is a big difference between someone telling him and him understanding that
I'm thinking about how many times Trump has gotten away with breaking the rules before becoming president. I think he's gotten away with it so much that, at this point, he doesn't quite comprehend that the rules for the business world and the rules for being the President are different.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
After 4 years of "but Trump can't do that because <x>" I gotta ask: hypothetically, who's gonna actually march into the White House and stop him?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
From what I've seen even fervent Trump lackeys like Mitch McConnell have reacted by going "Ummm...no" so thankfully I don't see him getting the free ride he wants.

Though a question for people who are more knowledgeable about US law; if Trump does get the election delayed, does that effect his actual term time? Would no election mean he gets to continue sitting as president unopposed or would he cease being president at the legal end of his term and the presidency goes to, like, a regent for a bit until they can actually have an elected president take over?
A quick search says if there's no president elect on Jan 20th, the Speaker of the House gets the job until there is one.

And it's very likely that will be Nancy Pelosi in January, or maybe another senior Democrat.

To avoid that, there would have to be No election at all or a significantly delayed one, wherein it would fall to the President Pro Tempre of the Senate since the house would completely be gone(since all their terms would expire on the 3rd) but it also gets dicey because a third of the senate would also be gone as well and there are almost twice as many GOP seats as Dem seats up this year. Which maybe means the Dems get the majortiy by default but who fucking knows at this point because it's never been an issue.

So yeah....that would be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palindromemordnilap

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I would say there is a big difference between someone telling him and him understanding that
It's Trump, so his knowledge of who and what Caesar was probably doesn't go beyond a dude in a costume in Vegas.
I'm thinking about how many times Trump has gotten away with breaking the rules before becoming president. I think he's gotten away with it so much that, at this point, he doesn't quite comprehend that the rules for the business world and the rules for being the President are different.
I think he comprehends there are rules, but believes they don't apply to him (or that they shouldn't). Amounts to pretty much the same in practice, but with a notable underlying difference.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Let him try, oh please let him try, just so we get to see him being dragged out on his arse on live TV, resisting impotently, flailing with his trousers falling down, shirt half ripped, nipples hanging out for all to see. The more undignified, the better!

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don’t think there’s ever been a more appropriate time to use the phrase “Yeah, that’s a hard no, (commander in) chief”

Reactions: Hawki

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Your mistaken. It's a salad
Both wrong.

It's the guy on the pizza box.

1596190984214.png

Or as Trump would call it, GOURMET.

(For people who don't get the joke, Little Caesars is cheap fast food pizza that's already pre-made sitting under a heat lamp when you buy it.)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Both wrong.

It's the guy on the pizza box.

View attachment 423

Or as Trump would call it, GOURMET.

(For people who don't get the joke, Little Caesars is cheap fast food pizza that's already pre-made sitting under a heat lamp when you buy it.)
Careful with that pointy stick, Caesar. I'd hate to see you stabbed with it...

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Let him try, oh please let him try, just so we get to see him being dragged out on his arse on live TV, resisting impotently, flailing with his trousers falling down, shirt half ripped, nipples hanging out for all to see. The more undignified, the better!
Honestly, I think it's more likely he'd be seen on camera being frog marched out while yelling "COUUUUP!!!! THIS IS A COUUUP!!! The democrats and the fake news media are doing a violent military COOOUUUP!!!!"

At which point, I sincerely worry what the "Cult of MAGA" would do in response.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Honestly, I think it's more likely he'd be seen on camera being frog marched out while yelling "COUUUUP!!!! THIS IS A COUUUP!!! The democrats and the fake news media are doing a violent military COOOUUUP!!!!"

Oh, I imagine he'll do that anyway, even if he loses every state. I'm sure there will also be a "Stabbed in the back" narrative as well, that the GOP screwed him over the whole time by not backing him up on EVERYTHING! Oh, and everyone else, because his political opponents are tantamount to traitors in his mind.

He was already implying(if not outright stating such) during Impeachment.

Then again, some members of the right have been fucking obsessed with the idea that any loss(or perceived loss) on their part is essentially a coup, because that word apparently have any meaning anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's equivalent of "The Jedi are taking over!". I admit, that would be hilarious to see.
If they know what's good for them, they better shut up and sit their dumb asses down.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

That there has been a worry for quite some while here. Considering what they've already done and tried to do even without their lord and saviour under any threat whatsoever. I cannot see them reacting gracefully, it isn't part of the rhetoric in any way shape or form.