SWAT Raids Yet Another Livestreaming Counter-Strike Player

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Riotguards said:
Johnson McGee said:
yes i agree, the police responding to a possible sandy hooks should assess the risk and make sure that its not a prank phone call

by the way you assume an innocent looking person is innocent, i guess children have never killed people or anyone else for that matter that just looks or acts friendly (yet have murdered people, etc, etc)

gosh darn those police take far too many precautions, why can't they politely knock on the door and ask the bad guy to give his gun up, asking nicely you know because manners matter
So if I'm understanding you correctly the only reasonable, possible, responsible response is for police to rush in guns drawn and no information on whats going on? Throw elementary students to the floor and hog-tie them to the bottom of their desks?

Police going into a dangerous situation with detailed information is essential for the safety of the public and the police, here's an example of how poor police communication can result in death: http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/deadly-dispute-calling-for-accountability-from-the-rcmp-after-former-soldier-shot-dead-1.1483419 , it may be to do with Canada's S.R.U. instead of S.W.A.T. but the lessons are the same. The person who called 911 in the first place, had no weapon of any kind and presented no threat was nonetheless shot dead by police.

As for knocking and asking nicely? Yes, that's exactly what negotiators and crisis-response personnel are trained to do http://www.crisisprevention.com/Resources/Knowledge-Base/General/De-escalation-Tips

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
Johnson McGee said:
So if I'm understanding you correctly the only reasonable, possible, responsible response is for police to rush in guns drawn and no information on whats going on? Throw elementary students to the floor and hog-tie them to the bottom of their desks?
yes or otherwise instead of 5 people dead you could have 20 people dead, the shooter is already shooting people, he's not holding them hostage so obviously the longer you take the more corpses you have

Police going into a dangerous situation with detailed information is essential for the safety of the public and the police, here's an example of how poor police communication can result in death: http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/deadly-dispute-calling-for-accountability-from-the-rcmp-after-former-soldier-shot-dead-1.1483419 , it may be to do with Canada's S.R.U. instead of S.W.A.T. but the lessons are the same. The person who called 911 in the first place, had no weapon of any kind and presented no threat was nonetheless shot dead by police.
well yes the police can be bad at times and can kill innocent people but the situations are COMPLETELY different, the article you linked is referring to a guy hold a gun, nothing else this situation however has a guy running around SHOOTING people dead and already had victims and possible bomb for what the SWAT did and knew they were getting into they withheld themselves pretty good

As for knocking and asking nicely? Yes, that's exactly what negotiators and crisis-response personnel are trained to do http://www.crisisprevention.com/Resources/Knowledge-Base/General/De-escalation-Tips
"negotiators and crisis-response personnel" for what? to ask him to stop killing people senselessly and hand his gun over?

you seem to assume that everyone who starts a KILLING SPREE is sane and happy to hand over their gun

would you say the same if some terrorist started shooting up a mall with your family in and the police just stood their asking them nicely to hand over the weapon, perhaps the police could throw some pizza and stuff while the terrorist kill everyone because they might get hungry.....

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
JarinArenos said:
ObsidianJones said:
So, my question to the cops (and potentially to you, but not in a disrespectful way) is that if cops have nothing to hide about their procedures... Why is their first step always to remove evidence of what they are doing? Why can we be recorded, but they can not. That sort of thing just breeds distrust.
This is my question as well. Why the hell was the cop's first response to get angry about the camera and knock it over? You can hear his angry voice (or one of them) in the background while it happens. "Oh, I'm sorry, I should have stopped to turn off my webcam while you were screaming at me while waving a deadly weapon".
Because those who are actually guilty could use those recordings to send a warning to the rest of their members, and set an ambush to the SWAT team as they leave the building. Or they are just camera shy.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
I'm just waiting until this results in somebody getting injured or killed during a livestream. Then the police find the person, and they get thrown in jail for voluntary manslaughter or homocide. They won't think its a funny thing to do then.

Seriously, this is more dangerous than those idiots who trying doing 360 no-scopes in real life.
Well they did find the 15 year old punk who made the call and got sentenced to 25 years in prison for acts of domestic terrorism under the Patriot Act. Calling these guys in on false pretenses alone is a federal crime. Of course the people that find this funny and do it for the "lols" probably need to go to jail anyway. There's obviously severely bad parenting or a major disconnect from between real life and the game world so As mean as it is to say I doubt that kid would've turned out good in the long run.

I mean the people that do this often play shooters and you'd think they'd be at least vaguely familiar with the concept of a SWAT team and therefore identify just how dangerous a "prank" like this can be.

Mykal Stype

Dec 24, 2012
It's strangely easy to guess just by message content who lives in the US and who doesn't. People outside seem to be more likely to ask why the SWAT team acted like they do, while US citizens are just happy no one got shot. Police and SWAT teams using excessive force and killing the wrong people is such a common thing that we've just got tired of asking those questions. SWAT teams are a bit better than this, but there's cases of law enforcement barging into a house without giving notification that they are police (which can cause a citizen to accidentally shoot them, thinking they are being attacked), shooting people immediately, and then find out they're in the wrong house. It's not as common as all the other screw ups, but raiding the wrong house is a problem that happens. Police also like to use immediate lethal force when responding to calls about a small amount of drugs. There's one guy who is suing the police force because they burst his door open, then shot his friend to death who was just sitting on the couch, all because they had a small bit of cocaine for personal use. The police weren't even under the impression that it would be a coke house and ended up being wrong. They were told what was happening. More famously, one of the guys that worked for Tosh.0 was shot to death for possibly having a knife maybe, when it was him saving some people from a knife attack. Even if he did have a knife, he was well far enough away that shooting was completely unneccessary.