SWAT Raids Yet Another Livestreaming Counter-Strike Player

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Zontar said:
Siege_TF said:
And nobody was killed again. Must have been because everyone all the livestreamers were white, eh?
picard-facepalm-o.gif

There are no words.
Good, I was afraid people would take that post seriously.

Sep 24, 2008
Jandau said:
On the other hand, I can't really fault SWAT here. They did their job, they didn't harm Kootra and went about their work in an orderly fashion. Yes, it's fucked up that this happened, but what were they supposed to do? Say "fuck it, might be a prank, let's watch some reruns of The Wire"?

And if you really want to despair about the state of humanity, just read the Youtube comments for the video. Roughly 45% think the whole thing is hillarious, 45% are raging at the cops for doing their job and maybe 10% are being reasonable human beings.
I don't know about the 45% raging at the cops for doing their job part.

If there's an incident, I'm going to be stopped and questioned a good bit. It's happened several times before. It ticks me off, because the only reason I even need to be questioned is 'certain aspects of who I am look out of place and suspicious'.

When I report this to others, they tell me that if I have nothing to hide, just let the process go. Why do I care if I'm sat down, having to relay 'my side of the story' for record and potentially having that used against me, having my own words scoured for any inconsistency that they can pin on me?

So, my question to the cops (and potentially to you, but not in a disrespectful way) is that if cops have nothing to hide about their procedures... Why is their first step always to remove evidence of what they are doing? Why can we be recorded, but they can not. That sort of thing just breeds distrust.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I can think of a great way to shut this down: Anyone caught pulling this sort of "prank" faces the criminal penalties of the crime they faked reporting.

Swatting's going to seem a little less funny when you could face 30-to-life in prison for it.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
I find it humorous when these incidents are reported, because there is typically a lot of expressed guilt-tripping, and sections over ethical boundaries. When you think about it, can you honestly expect a person that would do something like this, to even care about the consequences of their actions? Hell, even if these little bastards were caught, they more than likely would not learn the lesson right in front of their faces.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Siege_TF said:
Zontar said:
Siege_TF said:
And nobody was killed again. Must have been because everyone all the livestreamers were white, eh?
picard-facepalm-o.gif

There are no words.
Good, I was afraid people would take that post seriously.
The sad part is that while I know you were joking, it also would surprise absolutely no one if this happened to a streamer with a somewhat darker complexion and ended with them being shot. Especially since SWAT teams don't have a particularly stellar record for not just shooting people when doing things like serving no knock warrants, raiding the wrong address, etc.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I mentioned on another site reporting this how the one 17 year old kid was killed by an officer who was sent out to arrest one of the kid's relatives. He answered the door holding a wii remote, not knowing it was the police, if I recall corectly, and was shot dead. Someone replied with the sad news a 9 year old girl suffered the same death by holding wii remote fate as the boy when police busted down the door to arrest her drug dealing father. They couldn't even wait to see if the NINE year old had a toy before killing her.

It's not excessive to stop this shit from happening. Those examples were about small time criminals with police firing handguns with hollow point ammunition to prevent over-penetration. These SWAT teams carry weapons designed to pierce body armor (and, therefore, could hurt bystanders more easily) and are going into these situation under the assumption that there is a serious threat to the public they must stop. They may be highly trained for their job, but mistakes have cost lives even with SWAT units. It's only a matter of time until a team is clearing rooms and come across a deaf or otherwise unaware person who is shot because they didn't realize it was the police that are in their house.
The Rogue Wolf said:
I can think of a great way to shut this down: Anyone caught pulling this sort of "prank" faces the criminal penalties of the crime they faked reporting.

Swatting's going to seem a little less funny when you could face 30-to-life in prison for it.
I think at least one guy got over 10 years for his escapades. Look up Matthew Weigman. He's special, though. I guess he did it tons of times. The FBI site says most swatters do it more than once, so it shouldn't be hard to get big legal cases built against them when they're finally tracked down.
GarouxBloodline said:
I find it humorous when these incidents are reported, because there is typically a lot of expressed guilt-tripping, and sections over ethical boundaries. When you think about it, can you honestly expect a person that would do something like this, to even care about the consequences of their actions? Hell, even if these little bastards were caught, they more than likely would not learn the lesson right in front of their faces.
I say send a small team to anyone making these calls. At least, the officers know what the perp is capable of and why they are raiding in that case. After they tell the jerk they're not there on a bomb threat, they hand them the warrant for his/her arrest. Maybe that will get the message across, even better if the team gets him/her while they have their own mic/webcam, on broadcasting to hopefully even just one other potential swatter.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Seriously, this is more dangerous than those idiots who trying doing 360 no-scopes in real life.
I don't think you quite understand just how valuable that skill is in real combat. If some terrorist is running at you screaming shit with a bomb, he will literally be converted to FULL AMERICAN by performing a full 360 and no-scope his bomb detonator.

On a serious note...that's actually a thing?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I really wish a major gaming company, any major gaming company, took a stand against swatting pranks before a real tragedy comes out of it.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
In connection to this, I really recommend watching the latest episode of "last week tonight" with John Oliver who talks about the crazy ways the US Police forces are militarizing themselves in these past few years.
Makes the situation a whole lot more scary than it already is.
I am quite sure that there will be more of these pranks and I hope that none of them go dark in any way....

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Who the hell thinks this is a good prank?!? They have ways of tracing calls, right? So the next time someone tries this, they get their asses tossed in jail.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
So, my question to the cops (and potentially to you, but not in a disrespectful way) is that if cops have nothing to hide about their procedures... Why is their first step always to remove evidence of what they are doing? Why can we be recorded, but they can not. That sort of thing just breeds distrust.
This is my question as well. Why the hell was the cop's first response to get angry about the camera and knock it over? You can hear his angry voice (or one of them) in the background while it happens. "Oh, I'm sorry, I should have stopped to turn off my webcam while you were screaming at me while waving a deadly weapon".

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
JarinArenos said:
This is my question as well. Why the hell was the cop's first response to get angry about the camera and knock it over? You can hear his angry voice (or one of them) in the background while it happens. "Oh, I'm sorry, I should have stopped to turn off my webcam while you were screaming at me while waving a deadly weapon".
This is just a guess, but it would make sense to me if at that point they were starting to suspect this was a crank call and their first guess was that the streamer guy was the one who called it in.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
I'm just waiting until this results in somebody getting injured or killed during a livestream. Then the police find the person, and they get thrown in jail for voluntary manslaughter or homocide. They won't think its a funny thing to do then.
What did the gays ever do to these people anyway

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
toms said:
I hope they find those responsible and come down on them hard.
It is time people learned that the Internet can be a very serious business indeed and true anonymity is an illusion.
A little while back they caught someone who was responsible for a bunch of Swatting pranks and he is now in an 11 federal prison sentence for his games. We need some more of that, it's incredibly dangerous to both police and the people who the prank is against, it will end up in someone getting shot one day. It'll be some gungho police officer or someone who is armed and does not recognize the police fast enough. I mean, did you watch that video, the police sounded like a bunch mentally handicapped people as the burst through the door, you could barely make out what they were saying. I can't help but feel that they should have a designated caller so they can be understood when they do that.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Edit: forgot to add a key "never"
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Just for reference, I assume those SWAT guys who shot the children got a huge amount of flak for it? Especially since their trained to react immediately to stuff like that because they could actually be putting there lifes on the line by hesitating?
Oh, no. It wasn't SWAT is the case I mentioned. It was one single cop who was way too twitchy and probably should have never been allowed anywhere near a gun ever again. Look up some articles [https://www.google.com/search?q=17+year+old+shot+after+answering+door&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb] on the deal. One said in her previous job, she shot a suspect taking off his backpack. She though he was going for a gun when a fellow officer with her said that was unlikely [http://reason.com/blog/2014/03/06/cop-who-fatally-shot-wii-controller-wiel]. I haven't heard what happened to the woman, but police get away with mistakes like this way too often in the modern militarized police forces. I can't find anything on the girl, though. (In fact, my post here showed up on the second page on Google while looking for the story).

SWAT members might be better trained for this. But, one or more might be twitchy and react poorly to the sound of a innocent little kid running over to protect a family member. Maybe, schools should instruct kids to drop anything gun like(even white Wii remotes!) in the presence of police. I know my future kids won't be able to play with toy gun or anything really with the way things are going, since I'd properly paranoid they're raiding the wrong address. (That's happened and resulted in deaths, sadly.)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
So, how did they know that Jordan was the target and not one of the innocent civvies that they were evacuating? And why didn't they stop to think when none of the innocents mentioned they heard gunshots? He already had his hands up before they entered, I wish they hadn't used as much force. "Don't you fucking move, you hear me boy?" Oh, that hit a nerve for me. I've been in a similar situation, that shit is terrifying. Then they play around with you afterward.

And why would you wear sunglasses indoors while aiming an automatic weapon?

EDIT: Also OP, you might want to add that the suspect @ScrewPain was allegedly involved and although unconfirmed, doxxed and is custody.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
"I'm going to potentially risk someone's life/safety and possibly have them thrown in jail for something, LOL, I'm so funny! People are going to respect me and defend me online!"
lolnope