Swearing and you

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
D4zZ said:
Basically this I agree with this.
I have to agree with this, I agree with everything Stephen Fry says.

OT: I never swear around someone I could offend but the rest of the time I swear alot.

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
I havent really reflected on it. But it's just natural I guess considering all my friends, parents, granparents, former teachers swear. Be it so we generally use mild swears in Sweden in comparision to America (maybe I don't know).

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
For the sake of comic effect, I'm there.

I also add emphasis in threats with swearing. "I'll break your legs" doesn't sound as effective as "I'll break your fucking legs." It's all psychological with me.

Nex-Falx

Dec 24, 2009
Denamic said:
Nex-Falx said:
I've never / don't feel the need for it. I don't have a problem with it. I just don't partake myself...
Troll or idiot?
Either way, you suck.

I swear when I feel swearing will get the point across better.
Neither, I don't think. I just love ignorant irony.

Also: How would it be trolling? I didn't say "If you swear your god hates you!... AND DOESN'T EXIST!"

I'm just curious as to why people do it, or why so much.

Lukirre

Feb 24, 2009
Because there's no real difference between a "swear" word and any other word.
Unless you're one of those people that thinks "words are bullets" or some shit.
A word is just a sound, no real meaning until you give it one.
So "swear" words end up making it easier to chain words together into a sentance if you're talking too quickly or having trouble finding words that particular day.
Plus the whole cathartic experience that other people mentioned.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
The whole idea that there are certain 'forbidden' words is religious to begin with.
Ironically, the 'forbidden' aspect of them makes them so much more effective.
I say we than religions for making our curse words work better.

Nex-Falx

Dec 24, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
I swear when things really kick of, but I don't swear in truly tense situations oddly enough, I feel like things are more serious then.

Generally I don't like swearing, and I don't like it when other people swear, and I especially don't like it when I'm reading a story filled with swearwords (my creative writing group is tomorrow, so I'm a little bitter about their mssive overload on swearing)

I just honestly don't think swearing adds that much to a conversation or situation.
Yeah I feel the same.

eTuners said:
I swear way too much but never around young children, elders or family.
Thank you. It drives me up a wall when I see people dropping F-Bombs in front of little impressionable children...

Also: A lot of people are saying "It gets my point across." I can SEE that, but it's a razor's edge between getting your point across and appearing belligerent. I rely on facial expressions or tone to get my point across.

It can make some things funnier, but it can just be a "get the dumb people to laugh" button in comedy.
I'm funny, or at least my friends think so. That's how I made all of my former elementary school bullies into friends. I made them laugh while they were feeding me dirt.

Again, I have no need for it.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
There's nothing wrong with swearing because swear words themselves are just a different way of saying certain things. For e.g. shit is a different way of saying crap, which is a different way of saying poop, which is a different way of saying excrements.

Fuck is a different way of saying sex, which is a different way of saying intercourse.

As you can see, people have absolutely no reason to get angry if somebody "dares" to say shit instead of poop or fuck instead of sex.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
D4zZ said:
Basically this I agree with this.
Yup, this pretty much sums it up. They're good expressive words. Also, words are only offensive if you choose to be offended by them, so if someone's offended by my swearing, I'd consider it to be their problem and not mine.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't swear, it's just not part of the way I speak. Although I use some words that others might consider swear-words, like "shit", but really just when I'm talking about shit. I talk pretty much the same way my family talks.

When writing a story or a comic, I might use swearing, if it's appropriate. It's a tool to convey meaning and puctuate your words.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Fuck.

Edit: Okay I'll add something else - I usually only swear when I'm gaming (especially online), but then I swear like a sailor. I don't know, it's probably because I get excited and don't want to control myself. In a discussion, though, I usually keep my language clean, if I want to. :p

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
You do realize what "WTF" stands for, right?

And I swear a fuckin' lot. Seriously though, not many people care these days, and I rarely hold my tongue around people my age.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I swear because it adds emphasis or comic effect. Penny Arcade, for example, uses cursing quite well for the latter.

I'm also a fan of creative swearing. For example, calling someone an "ass-slapping cockbag, who needs to yank their greasy, shite-sucking head out of their pucker and stop being a complete fuckbend" is much more poignant and biting then simply saying, "you're stupid". For bonus points, mix in some slang insults from other countries or obscure sex acts, and see what you can come up with.

In any case, it's just language, and we should feel the need to explore all words, not just the ones that fill us with sunshine and rainbows. Most Shakespearean insults were at least dirty as the worst offenders on Urban Dictionary, and his stuff is considered high culture now.

Frankly, I'm glad the swearing isn't censored here.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
As a student of English, I was very surprised when one of my lecturers turned roiund and said we should all swear more. I f we all swear, then not only are we suitably "emphasising our mother fucking point, but we all kill the bastarding taboo".
Love that teacher.
Anyway, I swear tons, and why the fuck not?
It's fun, it doesn't hurt anyone, it emphasises my motherfucking point, and because when people start bitching about my swearing, I can tell them to fuck off and read the fucking Constitution.
FUCK YEAH, FREEDOM!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Nex-Falx said:
Why do people swear constantly? It's like people are trying to reach a record sometimes...

I'm 19 and I've never sworn (depending on what you consider a "swear", I guess).

I've never / don't feel the need for it. I don't have a problem with it. I just don't partake myself...

So, wtf people, what's up with all the swearing?!

(How much do you swear, and why do you swear period?)

Edit: A new thought! When and why did you start swearing? Was it was when you were a kid, because it seemed cool and edgy, or when you were semi-adult, because why not?
I swear ALL the time, it's getting rather uncontrollable. But, the thing is, I just don't care. It's my most useful outlet for my intense anger (when I get it, I'm not trying to be one of these people who thinks they're always in a state of rage because it's 'cool'). And besides, if used at the right times, it can be quite funny.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Nex-Falx said:
Why do people swear constantly? It's like people are trying to reach a record sometimes...

I'm 19 and I've never sworn (depending on what you consider a "swear", I guess).

So, wtf people, what's up with all the swearing?!

(How much do you swear, and why do you swear period?)

Edit: A new thought! When and why did you start swearing? Was it was when you were a kid, because it seemed cool and edgy, or when you were semi-adult, because why not?
first, it was when I was a kid, and it was because adults were doing it around me all the time, and so naturally my young and impressionable mind thought "swearing = adult" so to act more adult I'd swear around other kids.

Now, I do swear a lot, at least when not around family or parents, and the reason I do is to express anger or extremism. If something deserves more then "rrrrggggh that makes me so mad" I'll swear . . . I want the person making me that angry or thing, to know EXACTLY how angry I am.