Swedish McDonald's New Promo Includes Interactive Pong Billboard

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Swedish McDonald's New Promo Includes Interactive Pong Billboard

Hoping to attract gamers, or anyone impressed with impractial public spectacle, a McDonald's in Sweden has launched a promotion that combines free food, Pong and one gigantic screen.

Dubbed "Pick & Play," the promotion asks prospective customers to compete against the computer in a gigantic game of Pong, with free food going to the (theoretically human) winner.

New Scientist explains the concept in detail:

Users visit a website and the geolocation system on their iPhone confirms that they are near enough the billboard to play. They then choose what item they wish to play for - a portion of fries, or a burger, for example - and then are put in the queue to play Pong against the computer, with their game relayed on the big screen.

The iPhone screen is used as the player's controller, with swipes of the finger used to manipulate the paddle. If they are able to last 30 seconds against the game's increasingly challenging AI opponent, then a digital voucher is sent to their phone which they can take to a nearby restaurant to redeem their treat of choice.

As the New Scientist piece is quick to point out, this is not the first time McDonald's has dabbled in the world of interactive gaming, nor, for that matter, the first time this particular billboard was involved. Last year the fast food giant unveiled a promotion in which people could redeem images captured from the billboard via cameraphone at McDonald's restaurants for free food.

While it seems superficially extravagant -- no doubt hungry orphans in Africa would benefit greatly from whatever vast sum the corporation paid for this promotion -- the sheer marketing prowess here is brilliant. Combining free food with free video games, even rudimentary games, is guaranteed to attract members of our tech obsessed society. Take that idea and apply it to a gigantic screen (the human equivalent of a particularly attractive bug light), and the number of people flocking to the nearest McDonald's following a round of public Pong should pay for this entire scheme a few times over.

Still, in our health conscious modern age, one wonders what effect, if any, this promotion might have on people who would otherwise shun the company's food as wildly unhealthy.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2011/06/play-pong-on-a-giant-screen-to.html]

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
McDonald's Food is not unhealthy. Eating a lot of it is.

Lot of hot employees working there.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Man, I love living in Sweden.

It's raining like crazy right now. I love rain.

Galimor

Jun 16, 2010
binvjoh said:

Not in stockholm man, it's sunny and really, really hot here.

ffian1

Mar 10, 2010
If only homeless dudes had iPhones. That being said, I have no idea what the homeless situation in Sweden is.

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
HankMan said:
They are really going to paddle the competition with that.
*Puts on sunglasses*

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I don't care that it wasn't in the right order. That is the first and last time I ever make a CSI Miami reference EVER.

OT: This is marketing genius. I would love to see this all over Europe in the major cities. I doubt it would be possible to have that next to every single McDonalds

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Galimor said:
binvjoh said:

Not in stockholm man, it's sunny and really, really hot here.
Sun in the middle of the night?

It was really warm/sunny earlier here too.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Oh yeah, and America is bad for tricking kids to buying fast food with stupid plastic toys. Thanks sweden, for showing how its really done.

Still, thats kinda cool, i suppose. rather shameless, but then again, tahts mc donalds

Shameless BK fan XD

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
ffian1 said:
If only homeless dudes had iPhones. That being said, I have no idea what the homeless situation in Sweden is.
It's pretty much next to non-existant.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
What is this I don't even...

/Swede

ffian1 said:
As already said, it's pretty non-existant, but if you take a stroll through Stockholm city you're bound to see at least a few homeless beggars.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
This is awesome. Interactive advertisement controlled from your smart phone this is the future guys.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I live in Sweden and I still won't go. I don't care for McDonald's, here in Sweden it's not as good as in the US (if you can call that good) and we have a much better Swedish version, so don't care. That said, it's pretty cool. We have a lot of gamers around here, so it's a logical promotion.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
To bad I can't stand McDonalds. I wont even go there for their ice-creams. Our fast-food places in this town are a bit grungy. Also some trashy, unkempt looking people work there. I don't really believe their 'A' rating.

As for the promotion - it's a great idea. Very clever way to get people to come in. I wish some stores or shops or restaurants I actually liked did something like this. But my town is also far too small, this looks like a big city thing. =D

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Baldr said:
McDonald's Food is not unhealthy. Eating a lot of it is.

Lot of hot employees working there.
Well, yes it is unhealthy, more so than the average hamburger even, but it isn't a problem in itself. Its nothing that can't be solved by moderation and activity, as with all things edible. Except celery.