SWERY Says He's Working on a Deadly Premonition Sequel

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
SWERY Says He's Working on a Deadly Premonition Sequel

You say you want more Deadly Premonition? It sounds like SWERY would be happy to oblige.

It may not be his top priority, but Deadly Premonition director SWERY has Deadly Premonition 2 on his mind. In a recent interview with GamingBolt [http://gamingbolt.com/d4-interview-premise-kinect-functionality-potential-of-xbox-ones-cloud-exclusivity-and-more], SWERY65 - Hidetaka Suehiro, if you prefer - mentioned he had been working on a follow-up to Deadly Premonition before production on his current project, the Xbox One exclusive D4, kicked into high gear:

"After producing Deadly Premonition, I started work on production of the Lord of Arcana series right away, and during that time I was already working on the planning and pre-production of D4. So you could say that I've been working on D4 for about the past 2~3 years or so. Looking back at the original plans, there are some parts which have changed greatly a lot, and some parts which haven't changed a bit. At the same time I was also working on the sequel to Deadly Premonition and the framework for the Director's Cut.

SWERY later reiterates that D4 (Dark Dreams Don't Die) is not a sequel to Deadly Premonition, so whatever he's done so far is part of a separate project. That also means DP2 will remain on the back burner until after he's finished working on it.

While SWERY has vaguely suggested he would be interested in making DP2 [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-20-swery-teases-deadly-premonition-2] before, this is an unequivocal confirmation that he has been working on it. That said, it sounds like he spent a very short period of time working on it before moving onto other projects: The game is definitely still in pre-production, and may not be attached to a publisher. Put it another way: SWERY may plan on making Deadly Premonition 2 sooner or later, but that doesn't mean the game is on the way.

Source: GamingBolt [http://gamingbolt.com/d4-interview-premise-kinect-functionality-potential-of-xbox-ones-cloud-exclusivity-and-more]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Title:
"SWERY Says He's Working on a Deadly Premonition Sequel"

First line of article:
"He may not be working on it"

I lol'd. It's good news though, I'd love to see me some more Francis York Morgan.

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
anthony87 said:
Title:
"SWERY Says He's Working on a Deadly Premonition Sequel"

First line of article:
"He may not be working on it"

I lol'd. It's good news though, I'd love to see me some more Francis York Morgan.
Good point. I don't know how I missed that on my final pass. Thanks for the note!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I liked the story and characters.....but god did the rest of it suck. Graphics, shooting controls, driving controls....everything. lol. First time i played it i turned it off after an hour due to how awful it is. But forced myself to play it later as i had nothing else to do as i had rented the game. An once the story kicks in and you allow yourself to see through the layers of crap, the game story sucks you in.

I would like a sequel, but please fix the game other major issues.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just wish the PC port wasn't so fucking broken.
Been watching Jim play it and man is it buggy.

I get the game was really weird, cheesy and cheap but I really enjoy it in a cult following sort of way.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I'd rather he just make a new IP. I feel like I say this a lot around here, and maybe it's just pretentiousness on my part, but I mean the story was completely wrapped up at the end of the Deadly Premonition. If we want to go into spoiler territory -

Practically all main characters in the story die aside from Zach. Even York! That essentially leaves Zach as the only linking story element between the first game and sequel. The red seeds Kaysen had spread around the world might prove to be another link, but since we already know their origin and what they do, there's not much intrigue or mystery there.

So if you're going to go that far, why not just create a new story from the ground up?

Of course it might be a prequel. But still, why not just leave it be, leave it golden? Not every game needs to be a series. SWERY already has the spotlight on him, I'd rather see him use it to create something wholly unique again.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
This announcement literally gave me shivers. In the wrong and right way. Maybe SWERY can realize his dream of having fully functional coffee machines in this game.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
It better have Life is Beautiful in it all the time.

I can't help but whistle along with that whenever it gets stuck in my head, which is often.

For those who haven't heard the song:

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You know there are movies that are "So bad its good". This is their equivalent of a game. the game is bad, but its so bad that its one of the best games out there.