Swimming Pools And More Are Coming as Free DLC For The Sims 4

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Oh sod off EA. Withholding basic game content and then offering it later as 'free dlc' in order to look like the good guy is just pathetic.

Pretty sure Jim Sterling did an episode recently on exactly this kind of behavior.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
*reads comments, laughs* No, there's no pleasing people in regards to EA.
*laughs even more* You people crack me up.

OT: I called this, and the reactions. Good for EA. We'll see how this continues or not.
Why should we give praise when someone does what they should have in the first place? It's all well and good but it doesn't earn them any brownie points or undo their fuckups. Well done, you gave us back something that had no good reason to be removed in the first place. How about all that other stuff (talking actual features and not simply furniture)you took out? No? That's what I thought.

You want recognition for this EA, here's a silver star sticker for you...now fuck off.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
gamegod25 said:
*reads comments, laughs* No, there's no pleasing people in regards to EA.
*laughs even more* You people crack me up.

OT: I called this, and the reactions. Good for EA. We'll see how this continues or not.
Why should we give praise when someone does what they should have in the first place? It's all well and good but it doesn't earn them any brownie points or undo their fuckups. Well done, you gave us back something that had no good reason to be removed in the first place. How about all that other stuff (talking actual features and not simply furniture)you took out? No? That's what I thought.

You want recognition for this EA, here's a silver star sticker for you...now fuck off.
Once again, I have to explain something that should be obvious... Where in the hell did I say anything about praising EA?
All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad. Its disingenuous at best.
Seriously.
Look at it like this: Game is released without content, people are mad because content is not there (and lots of wild theories about it being locked behind a paywall abound). Then patch (DLC) is announced that puts said missing content in for free and people are mad that the content is being put in for free. Thats really odd to hold onto anger for so long and when you get what you want (for free!) you're too cynical to let go of anger and are now mad because you got what you wanted? Or do you want EA to bend the laws of time and space and put the content in the game before it was released?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad. Its disingenuous at best.
Seriously.
Look at it like this: Game is released without content, people are mad because content is not there (and lots of wild theories about it being locked behind a paywall abound). Then patch (DLC) is announced that puts said missing content in for free and people are mad that the content is being put in for free. Thats really odd to hold onto anger for so long and when you get what you want (for free!) you're too cynical to let go of anger and are now mad because you got what you wanted? Or do you want EA to bend the laws of time and space and put the content in the game before it was released?
Just more proof that "gamers" are angry and entitled whiners. Never happy and always whining, I couldn't care less about the Sims so this doesn't affect me in the slightest but it is nice to see a company trying to fix their mistakes (because the gamers where totally entitled to their pools because they are special snowflakes so not being able to get them in at launch was a mistake right?). EA doesn't deserve "praise" for this but neither do they deserve all this bitterness, "gamers" are never happy and always find something to whine and rage about.

I often feel ashamed to admit I play games any more, I never felt that way before but with all this anger, rage, bitterness and death threats over the slightest thing they don't like all over the internet makes me feel dirty being associated with "gamers".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
ron1n said:
Oh sod off EA. Withholding basic game content and then offering it later as 'free dlc' in order to look like the good guy is just pathetic.
Eh, I'm thinking they were hoping the outcry wouldn't be so bad and they'd charge for it, this is damage control.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
J Tyran said:
Seriously.
Just more proof that "gamers" are angry and entitled whiners. Never happy and always whining, I couldn't care less about the Sims so this doesn't affect me in the slightest but it is nice to see a company trying to fix their mistakes (because the gamers where totally entitled to their pools because they are special snowflakes so not being able to get them in at launch was a mistake right?). EA doesn't deserve "praise" for this but neither do they deserve all this bitterness, "gamers" are never happy and always find something to whine and rage about.

I often feel ashamed to admit I play games any more, I never felt that way before but with all this anger, rage, bitterness and death threats over the slightest thing they don't like all over the internet makes me feel dirty being associated with "gamers".
See I just pity them, I don't feel ashamed of being associated with them because I'm comfortable in my own skin. I can't understand living life being so negatively charged over these things. There is the part of me that wishes folks could be a bit less negative and a hell of a lot more constructive but "wish in one hand, shit in the other..." yadda-yadda-yadda.
*shrug*

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
So the tech demo is finally getting some meat on it's bones free of charge...

I highly suspect that they initially wanted to charge for each bit of DLC but they needed something to make up for the fact that they released a $60 tech demo, not a $60 game

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
I think EA is deliberately trolling and trying to make itself seem worse than it actually is.

They could have won huge brownie points and had people sucking them off if they'd been down to earth and let everyone know that these free dlcs would be coming out, instead they went out of their to do the worst of both worlds: Giving into people after they know they won't gain much being doing this and losing money on top of that.

In a way I'd have respected EA more if they'd charged money for these. Better for one to stick to their guns than come off weak and indecisive.

Final7111

Aug 6, 2011
This dlc is free..... For now! I bet 6 months down the line it won't be, so you better run out and buy the game right away!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Nimcha said:
Don't get me wrong but the people who paid full price for a game they knew to be 'stripped down' as you say deserve what they get.
So, the muggles that dont follow gaming news, am i to not feel a bit of pity for them?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad.
Who here is "mad" specifically about them putting it in the game exactly?
Maybe you should not skip looking at the reasoning. Context does matter.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
gigastar said:
Nimcha said:
Don't get me wrong but the people who paid full price for a game they knew to be 'stripped down' as you say deserve what they get.
So, the muggles that dont follow gaming news, am i to not feel a bit of pity for them?
Well, a little bit. Or you could blame yourself for not making enough noise to warn them. :p

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
If they had the patches almost complete, why didn't they just delay the release until the full vanilla game was complete? Did EA really earn more or save on development time by pushing an unfinished product out? Making it part of free patches rather than paid DLC isn't going to buy back the good will they lost, and i'm still convinced the original plan WAS to charge for the items.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I guess it's good they're putting that stuff back in and for free, but it really should've been there to begin with. One step forward after taking a step back. Puts them back where they started in my opinion of them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Thorn14 said:
.....There's gotta be a catch.
The catch (for EA) is that nobody is buying the Sims 4 so instead of leveraging all that cut content for DLC sales now they're having to leverage that cut content for initial sales. I doubt very much that this was part of the original plan, regardless of what representatives will say in the coming weeks (much the same way I doubt rebuilding the entire of Battlefield 4 from the server information transfer rate up was part of the plan).

However, in the long term it might be good for the consumer, EA has been pushing how far they can go with content sales even more than usual in the last two years, with this, Titanfall and Sim City EA might be gradually figuring out that there is a limit to this.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Let's face it, EA are only doing this because of the backlash resulting in these features not being in the game to begin with. If there wasn't so much complaining about it, they probably would have charged us for them. They're probably only doing this to make themselves look good. I suppose it's good that they are correcting the mistakes, and for free no less, but these features should have been in the game in the first place.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I wonder why do I think that it isn't an attempt to be nice to consmers, but rather a form of a damage control?