Swimming Pools And More Are Coming as Free DLC For The Sims 4

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Strange business strategy (considering it's EA). Are they really changing towards the "player first" attitude? Or did they CEO get abducted and replaced by an shape-shifting alien?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Neeckin said:
Riddle me this EA, if it's free DLC why not just include t in the game in the first place?
My theory: it wasn't finished at that time.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Neeckin said:
Riddle me this EA, if it's free DLC why not just include t in the game in the first place?
You're probably right. They probably had a choice between pushing back the release date and just adding the unfinished aspects of the game for free later, and went with the latter. Not that it matters, because if they'd chosen the former, people would be screaming for EA's head anyway, because that's the thing to do.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
"Pools are incompatible with The Sims 4's engine. We can't flip a switch to add them in."
-EA, months before release.

"Here are some pools for The Sims 4. *flips switch*"
-EA, thirty days after release.

It's a step in the right direction, especially since they're not selling the DLC like we all predicted they would, but what a fucking surprise, they lied through their teeth again. I still won't buy the game because I'm done being taken for an idiot by this goddamned company.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
To EA's credit, a friend of mine had to call them for support just the other day and he declared that the customer service experience was spectacular; apparently they refunded him for a broken online purchase and got him into a similar title that he wanted anyway which also happened to function. Groovy.

That said, EA probably needs to learn the lesson that Ubisoft learned about delaying titles - it's okay to delay if it isn't ready - but they'll also need to be sure that the delays actually do end up making for a better game experience in the end. See "Watch Dogs" v. "Mass Effect 3."

Nov 28, 2007
Braedan said:
Back in my day, when a developer/publisher added new content to a game after it was released we called it a "patch."
Then when they added a new storyline we called it an "expansion pack."
Good thing the article specifically says that the new content is being added as a patch, then.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Neeckin said:
That is most likely true, but if they wanted to avoid flack like they got in this thread they should have said this a while ago.

It only leads to the, not entirely unwarranted, suspension that this was going to be paid DLC.

Feb 28, 2008
Okay they're only doing this because they didn't include them in the base game.
Okay they're only doing this because of a fierce customer backlash at that decision.

... BUT they are still doing something which is objectively "good". If I owned The Sims 4 I would be happy at this news.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Roofstone said:
008Zulu said:
OT: So far this game has less vanilla content than Sims 3 (yes I know Sims 3 had acres of DLC/Expansions, comparing the base games here), so I am not convinced changing over to what has been described as a very minor visual enhancement is a good move.
I wouldn't. I tried, immediately went back to sims 3. Vanilla 4, has less than vanilla 3. Even after these DLC things are added.

Heck, there is a god damn loading screen to visit your neighbor house, which is already loaded while you are home. Furniture and everything.

What is it loading? Nobody god damn knows.
I heard what I think is an extremely plausible theory that they originally intended to have asymmetric multiplayer within the neighbourhoods but decided to axe it (at too late a stage to retool the engine) after the poor reception that feature got in Simcity. If that's true then what it's attempting to load are any changes that the other player made since the last time you visited, of which there are always none.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
DirgeNovak said:
"Pools are incompatible with The Sims 4's engine. We can't flip a switch to add them in."
-EA, months before release.

"Here are some pools for The Sims 4. *flips switch*"
-EA, thirty days after release.

It's a step in the right direction, especially since they're not selling the DLC like we all predicted they would, but what a fucking surprise, they lied through their teeth again. I still won't buy the game because I'm done being taken for an idiot by this goddamned company.
Now I'm far from an EA lover (I hate them), but did they honestly say that they couldn't be easily implemented? What the fuck are those pools made of?

OverEZ

Nov 12, 2011
Free DLC, EA's version of an apology for knowingly screwing up a game. (See: Mass Effect 3)

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Huh...that is kind of surprising. But like others have said, it's most likely just damage control. Not that it matters to me; the only way I'm going to play The Sims 4 is if they release it for free a decade later like what happened with The Sims 2 recently. Even then I doubt I'd play it anywhere near as much as TS2.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
"EA are releasing pools and other shit later this year as DLC"

Of course. Just like EA, to pump in features that should've been in the game in the first pla--

"And it's free!"

WAIT, WHAT?! WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT?!!?
------------

Unfortunately on my end, the return of pools and whatnot can't really undo the fact that my favorite feature fromm Sims 3 - The open world - is not in the game and isn't the type of thing that can be patched in. Plus there's some other gripes I have, like weather once again being an expansion pack. Still, they could've just as easily pulled an EA and just not done a damn thing about it, or just sell it for a fee.

That they're going this route is pretty cool.
"But! But! It all should've been in the game in the first pla--!"
It's. Pretty. Cool.... God dammit, guys.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
gamegod25 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
*reads comments, laughs* No, there's no pleasing people in regards to EA.
*laughs even more* You people crack me up.

OT: I called this, and the reactions. Good for EA. We'll see how this continues or not.
Why should we give praise when someone does what they should have in the first place? It's all well and good but it doesn't earn them any brownie points or undo their fuckups. Well done, you gave us back something that had no good reason to be removed in the first place. How about all that other stuff (talking actual features and not simply furniture)you took out? No? That's what I thought.

You want recognition for this EA, here's a silver star sticker for you...now fuck off.
Once again, I have to explain something that should be obvious... Where in the hell did I say anything about praising EA?
All my point is that people are mad that they put something in the game that people were mad that they didn't put in the game. How contradictory is that? Skip the reasons because you folks don't need any, just be mad because its EA, and be honest about it instead of picking every move they make as another reason to be mad. Its disingenuous at best.
Seriously.
Look at it like this: Game is released without content, people are mad because content is not there (and lots of wild theories about it being locked behind a paywall abound). Then patch (DLC) is announced that puts said missing content in for free and people are mad that the content is being put in for free. Thats really odd to hold onto anger for so long and when you get what you want (for free!) you're too cynical to let go of anger and are now mad because you got what you wanted? Or do you want EA to bend the laws of time and space and put the content in the game before it was released?
People aren't mad that it's free, or at least I'm not. I'm pissed that we have even reached this point. That such simple content wasn't in the game in the first place and had to be added in later, regardless of cost. And you know this is not out of any genuine caring or altruistic motive from EA, no, at best it is just a half-hearted attempt to try to mollify gamers so we'd forget their bullshit. Well I'm not so easy to bribe to forgive and forget.

And no I don't think it's spoiled entitlement. As fans and consumers we should expect better, we deserve more...or at least be treated with some damn respect. EA has shown over again either unrelenting incompetence or utter contempt for gamers and the series they love. They have killed too many games I loved growing up that a little free content can ever hope to make amends for it all. No I'm not being cynical, they have been pulling this same shit for far too long and you know it.

Bend space and time? No way to make people happy? How about making a good, proper game in the first place! Is that asking too much?

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
So will there be a patch to make the world seamless again, because that was the best thing sims 3 had going for it and no addition of multiple sims on one lot can change that

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Braedan said:
Back in my day, when a developer/publisher added new content to a game after it was released we called it a "patch."
Good thing the article specifically says that the new content is being added as a patch, then.
Until you read the title and it say "Coming as Free DLC."

Nov 28, 2007
Braedan said:
thebobmaster said:
Braedan said:
Until you read the title and it say "Coming as Free DLC."
You should learn to read past the title on The Escapist.

From the actual article: "Further on down the track, two additional patches in November and December will respectively re-introduce pools to the game, introduce new Career paths and rewards. All of these updates will be completely free for all players, and will automatically download upon logging in to Origin. In fact, the October content is already available for players to enjoy right now." Third to last paragraph.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
thaluikhain said:
ron1n said:
Oh sod off EA. Withholding basic game content and then offering it later as 'free dlc' in order to look like the good guy is just pathetic.
Eh, I'm thinking they were hoping the outcry wouldn't be so bad and they'd charge for it, this is damage control.
Yeah, this. Anybody who's been a gamer for even the last few years must find it completely obvious what EA is doing. Anybody fooled by it is either too young to care or too thick for their opinion to matter.

Edit: They could also be in the stage of denial, before they realise that yes, EA is in fact as bad as people make them out to be.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
ron1n said:
Oh sod off EA. Withholding basic game content and then offering it later as 'free dlc' in order to look like the good guy is just pathetic.

Pretty sure Jim Sterling did an episode recently on exactly this kind of behavior.
He calls it "falsifying a sense of value", and this shit needs to stop.

Captcha: in limbo

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Johnson McGee said:
Roofstone said:
008Zulu said:
OT: So far this game has less vanilla content than Sims 3 (yes I know Sims 3 had acres of DLC/Expansions, comparing the base games here), so I am not convinced changing over to what has been described as a very minor visual enhancement is a good move.
I wouldn't. I tried, immediately went back to sims 3. Vanilla 4, has less than vanilla 3. Even after these DLC things are added.

Heck, there is a god damn loading screen to visit your neighbor house, which is already loaded while you are home. Furniture and everything.

What is it loading? Nobody god damn knows.
I heard what I think is an extremely plausible theory that they originally intended to have asymmetric multiplayer within the neighbourhoods but decided to axe it (at too late a stage to retool the engine) after the poor reception that feature got in Simcity. If that's true then what it's attempting to load are any changes that the other player made since the last time you visited, of which there are always none.
That probably the truth, they wee all set for multiplayer (even though they already tried it once and it failed) saw all the problems SimCity became and tried (honestly I think) bring it back from the brink as much as possible. Hence, they need more time then they thought they could get if they delayed it so they got what they had ready and set a team on fixing it. These free DLC are their way of saying "Yeah, we mess up we are sorry."

Then again they said no Sims 5 if Sims 4 doesn't do well ... so ... well, baby steps I guess.