Swimming Pools And More Are Coming as Free DLC For The Sims 4

Nov 28, 2007
On the one hand, pools and ghosts should have been in the game to begin with. Adding them later doesn't change that.

On the other hand, the fact that they are adding new Careers and rewards on top of pools and ghosts through a free patch is not a bad thing. I just wish EA would not have to do something crappy in order to do something good.

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
Adding it back later doesn't change the fact that E.A. is a horrible company. Peer pressure doesn't count

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Oh what a shock, EA withheld features so it can be bought as DLC. What a bunch of money-grubbing--

Wait..."free"? You mean it's DLC...for free?

But...but it's EA.

EA...giving DLC...for free?!

DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
And once again it is proven that whining about something is the most reliable way to get it changed. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. To all you asking "What's the catch?", the catch is that this is damage control, pure and simple. The reactions to the release of the game were so broadly negative that they decided it's worth more in the long run to give out some free DLC now and draw in more players than it is to nickel'n'dime the existing players for these additions.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Thorn14 said:
.....There's gotta be a catch.
Not really, I would imagine, but that doesn't mean that this is altruistic for its own sake.

Look at it this way: If they had decided to charge for something so basic to the series like pools, people would have absolutely raised Cain about it, and they might have actually lost some of those die-hard Sims players that are keeping the franchise alive by also buying the expansions, add-ons, and content packs. It might have created ill-will that they could not control, in other words.

By making this move (which perhaps they were planning to make all along, or maybe not, who can say at this point?), they regain the trust of those die-hard Sims players, who will almost certainly now buy the numerous expansions, etc., and perhaps garner the interest of the casual Sims players who have enjoyed the previous entries in the series but were put off by the perceived value lost by downsizing the Sims 4. Now those players might decide to buy, since their main grievances have been addressed.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Honestly from a business stand point this is expected, because of the public statement of improving themselves was said about a month ago now. I don't know how long this good faith may last... But there are strong rumours of free DLC to BF4 as well, so maybe they are putting their money where their mouth is.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
*reads comments, laughs* No, there's no pleasing people in regards to EA.
*laughs even more* You people crack me up.

OT: I called this, and the reactions. Good for EA. We'll see how this continues or not.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
We should be thankful they are correcting such an obvious mistake? I'd like to hear your logic on that.

OT: So far this game has less vanilla content than Sims 3 (yes I know Sims 3 had acres of DLC/Expansions, comparing the base games here), so I am not convinced changing over to what has been described as a very minor visual enhancement is a good move.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yes how "generous" of them to stitch up the gamne they gutted on purpose in the first place after the backlash already hit.
How "generous" of the baby to stop shitting its pants for 5 seconds.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
This is certainly a very generous move from EA...
Generous? How is it generous to give customers who payed $70 for a game stripped down of content things that should have been in the game in the first place? Besides, it's free now, but that's only because of the negative reaction, that's only because of the backlash. If there weren't as much of a backlash then EA would have been happy selling us basic game content as paid DLC - it's only because they knew we wouldn't stand for it that they made it free instead.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
008Zulu said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
We should be thankful they are correcting such an obvious mistake? I'd like to hear your logic on that.

OT: So far this game has less vanilla content than Sims 3 (yes I know Sims 3 had acres of DLC/Expansions, comparing the base games here), so I am not convinced changing over to what has been described as a very minor visual enhancement is a good move.
Thankful? No. Maybe not condescending when they have decided to do the right thing since they can't go back in time and add it to the gold build for release. I mean its like people expect them to somehow retroactively do just that, and its ridiculous. I'm not saying get all happy crappy "yay!" over it. But having a shit attitude no matter what they do, might as well just say EA is dead to those people, write them off and never buy from them again because it seems that nothing they do will ever be "right" in their eyes.
I just don't see the point in continuing to be cynical, seems like a lot of effort for no reward.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
EA has anounced something for free. ah, see how the next story will be about firing that spokeperson for going completely agaisnt company policy.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
TKretts3 said:
Steven Bogos said:
This is certainly a very generous move from EA...
Generous? How is it generous to give customers who payed $70 for a game stripped down of content things that should have been in the game in the first place? Besides, it's free now, but that's only because of the negative reaction, that's only because of the backlash. If there weren't as much of a backlash then EA would have been happy selling us basic game content as paid DLC - it's only because they knew we wouldn't stand for it that they made it free instead.
Don't get me wrong but the people who paid full price for a game they knew to be 'stripped down' as you say deserve what they get.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
008Zulu said:
I wouldn't. I tried, immediately went back to sims 3. Vanilla 4, has less than vanilla 3. Even after these DLC things are added.

Heck, there is a god damn loading screen to visit your neighbor house, which is already loaded while you are home. Furniture and everything.

What is it loading? Nobody god damn knows.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
marioandsonic said:
Oh what a shock, EA withheld features so it can be bought as DLC. What a bunch of money-grubbing--

Wait..."free"? You mean it's DLC...for free?

But...but it's EA.

EA...giving DLC...for free?!

DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE
DOES NOT COMPUTE
Don't mworry my dear human/ai friend, it's a cold and calculated thing. They are only doing it because they know that they did goofed.

It's the only reason EA would ever give you something for free. To try and make up for things they know people are miffed about.

Evil Overlord 1: "Dude, people are so on to us about the pool-dlc thing. It's like they know us."
Evil Overlord 2: "Oh butts, we are supposed to not be the worst company again. The überlords will have our heads!"
Evil Overlord 1: "How about we give it out for free, and say it was the plan all along. That will work, right?"
Evil Overlord 2: "Genius number 1! People will never see through that one. Now, how much can we charge for pets?"

Miles Maldonado

Oct 11, 2011
Well, EA's giving away their backlog On The House, they gave away Sims 2 and ALL expansions for nothing - and prior to that, complementary copies of Red Alert 2 with preorder and special editions of Red Alert 3, and making C&C, Red Alert 1, and Tiberian Sun freeware (though that was mostly Aaron "EA_Apoc" Kaufmann I credit EA with it.)

While it's still launching without important core features it's not as horrible as lopping them out and selling them.