Switzerland might make incest legal.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
GothmogII said:
McNinja said:
The problem with incest is the fact that there is no diversity in the genes. It would be the same thing over and over, and eventually it would lead to mutations, and we don't want that, because that is bad.
That assumes the children of an incestuous relationship would also be into incest. You know, how children of a gay parent are always born gay? One would also assume, taking this solid line of reasoning, the children of parents who are into bestiality would therefore also partake, or S&M for that matter.

Makes sense, given how children of religious parents are likely to also be religious due to their up-bringing. Right?

/end sarcasm.

My point being, that while I'm not discounting the fact that yes, parents pass on ideas to their children, it's a little silly to assume that just because the parents are okay with it means that the children are somehow going to be beholden to the same lifestyle. Then again, maybe you're right, and that is a sad thing, but it's not because of the incest, it because of the parent who would try to force that on their offspring.
I was assuming inbreeding, although I'm not sure why. Now that I'm thinking about it, it is quite possible for the children to never even know their parents are brother and sister. I mean, if people call their in-laws mom and dad, it wouldn't be hard to just not mention it. Although when the kid gets older and they look at old family photos, they might wonder why mom and dad are in every picture together since they were like 1, then the real cover-up begins.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
jamiedf said:
actually my major worry is this the biological issues a child could have. but yet again which child will suffer more? the one with a unusual name, or the one whos mom is also his sister? and theres plenty of backup for traumatised children, we covered it in psychology at collage we we had a lengthy debate on incest effect, its the only reason iv posted on here in the first place is because i remember much of what i read then.
and your the one being ridiculous, you trivialising what can be a very serious issue by comparing it to relatively minute things
Oh, well, what could I possibly say to go against what you learn in psyche 101 in 'collage'? You are no doubt completely missing the point entirely. There are harmful effects of inbreeding that occur, but they don't take just a single generation to manifest (well, not to an appreciable level).

Also Mother = Sister is really getting far apart. Keep in mind they aren't changing laws against child abuse or pedophelia. You still aren't allowed to have sex with your 12 year old daughter (or son). People are also genetically pre-disposed to not have sexual urges towards the closest of their family members, so parent/child things are very VERY unlikely in any legal context anyway. All you end up doing is removing the weight of law against like.. two cousin's getting it on, or possibly a sibling coupling.

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
lawlz inscest legal, wonder when the USA will outlaw that finally (yeah it's legal in 8 states last time i looked.) same with beastyablity (14 states) and necrophelia (4 states)

it's technically legal in BC canada. apparently 3rd cousin and beyond is legal, and the law out here dosen't consider 3rd cousin incest, but technically, it has enough of the blood line to be considered incest. silly north america, stop doing your cousins XD

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
This, to me, is funny as hell. I don't really know why...

Also: "Incest... why go down the street when you can go down the hall?"

May 5, 2010
ShadowsofHope said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I can personally guarantee that anyone who doesn't have a problem with this is either an only child, or a very creepy person. Or both.

Besides, the whole argument of "It's OK if they don't have kids" doesn't make sense anyway. It's impossible to actually enforce. How can anyone make sure they use birth control once it's legal? And once they DO have a kid, it's too late to do anything about it, so the whole thing just becomes a big mess.

Come on, people, think. And stop thinking that incest is OK. That's just not.....No. Even animals are hard-wired not to do it. Seriously, look it up.
Clearly sir, you are the final arbitrator on what human beings all over the planet should and should not find acceptable. /sarcasm

I guarantee you, I am neither. And you do realize humans are biologically animals, right?
Yes, smartass. I realize humans are animals. In fact, it kind of proves my point, which apparently went right over your head. I don't think incest is wrong as a matter of OPINION, I think it's wrong because instinct born out of millions of years of evolution TELLS me it's wrong. The same instinct that is present the grand majority of living things on the planet.

Also, my point about "safe incest" being impossible to enforce still stands.

thephill

Nov 24, 2010
some "your momma" jokes seem apropriate here.

O.T.really it all just seems a bit wrong to me. i dont want to know if you're into that sort of thing.
people who like incest are a right bunch of mother-fuckers...
..sorry

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
The biggest issue here is due to the increased chances of genetic diseases. This isn't so much of a moral issue as much as it is an evolutionary problem. Inbreeding is just bad for the species on a genetic level, all moral issues are just gained over time from the taboo associated with it.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Ewwww.

THough I am in support of personal freedoms, and considering this doesn't really do much harm to anyone, I think this is the right move.

But still. EEWWWWW.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
What's hilarious about the incest fetish is that if you find someone else interested in it, and have sex with them, it's a huge disappointment...

...think about it...

Okay, on a serious note...erm...hooray for human rights, I suppose? People should be able to shag whoever they want as long as they both agree and other legal issues etc.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Oh I see, you're one of those people. Never mind, I have better things to do tonight than debate why brothers should be able to fuck their sisters.
EDIT: Excuse this post, I misread you.

I should say that at no point have you and I debated whether or not brothers should be able to fuck their sisters. You have offered no counterpoints to any of my points, except for the devastating riposte that I am one of "those people." You got me, I am a person.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
jamiedf said:
actually my major worry is this the biological issues a child could have. but yet again which child will suffer more? the one with a unusual name, or the one whos mom is also his sister? and theres plenty of backup for traumatised children, we covered it in psychology at collage we we had a lengthy debate on incest effect, its the only reason iv posted on here in the first place is because i remember much of what i read then.
and your the one being ridiculous, you trivialising what can be a very serious issue by comparing it to relatively minute things
Oh, well, what could I possibly say to go against what you learn in psyche 101 in 'collage'? You are no doubt completely missing the point entirely. There are harmful effects of inbreeding that occur, but they don't take just a single generation to manifest (well, not to an appreciable level).

Also Mother = Sister is really getting far apart. Keep in mind they aren't changing laws against child abuse or pedophelia. You still aren't allowed to have sex with your 12 year old daughter (or son). People are also genetically pre-disposed to not have sexual urges towards the closest of their family members, so parent/child things are very VERY unlikely in any legal context anyway. All you end up doing is removing the weight of law against like.. two cousin's getting it on, or possibly a sibling coupling.
i mentioned nothing of paedophilia? and i was using it as an example anyway. and im sorry, i didnt realise you had a masters in child psychology? all i was saying is there is evidence, of the trauma cause just go and look it up.
and what yourtalking about with multiple generations is irrelevant, that would lead to more extreme cases but to say that a single instance of inbreeding will cause no serious harm is boulder-dash, it does happen the longer inbreeding goes on the more extreme the case but a single generation can be very harmful and it would take several generations of normal breeding to remove the threat

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Plurralbles said:
wait... so when I'm 60 and have atrophy wife... they'll think it's my daughter? FUCK.
I've actually had the reverse happen with my mother. As long as you don't appear to be the same background as your trophy wife, people will probably assume she's a gold digger. It's funny how things like that work out, I bet it must be really awkward for people who adopt a child of another race.

Jamie is now officially on the "can be harmful" angle. Pretty much everything "can be harmful" either give numbers or leave the vague rhetoric for Fox News.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Sorry man, I dont believe you to be stupid for holding one misconception, merely that the misconception itself is a tad silly, you make valid points. I can see where your coming from in terms of "greater risk" is to much of a risk for children, when it can be especially nasty for them. Sorry if i came off patronising.

Blackmage9999

Dec 8, 2010
By Pierre Treudeau "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." case and point let them do there thing

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
My kneejerk reaction was disgust, but then I thought.... I don't have a sister, so I don't know what might or might not motivate me to want or not want to... bang my sister. And that really really REALLY is no different than my stance on homosexuality. It isn't my life or lifestyle, so I can say nothing on the issue, not beyond the concept of protecting people from being hurt.

Really though, when you think about it? The only reason incest is instinctually ingrained taboo is because of the risks it presents to the gene pool. And really, when was the last time OUR species had to worry about THAT? There no way any amount of inbreeding could collapse our species when we have a population size on this scale. Go ahead kids, fuck your siblings. Wear a condom.

I'm going to go take a shower now.