Switzerland might make incest legal.

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
GothmogII said:
McNinja said:
The problem with incest is the fact that there is no diversity in the genes. It would be the same thing over and over, and eventually it would lead to mutations, and we don't want that, because that is bad.
That assumes the children of an incestuous relationship would also be into incest. You know, how children of a gay parent are always born gay? One would also assume, taking this solid line of reasoning, the children of parents who are into bestiality would therefore also partake, or S&M for that matter.

Makes sense, given how children of religious parents are likely to also be religious due to their up-bringing. Right?

/end sarcasm.

My point being, that while I'm not discounting the fact that yes, parents pass on ideas to their children, it's a little silly to assume that just because the parents are okay with it means that the children are somehow going to be beholden to the same lifestyle. Then again, maybe you're right, and that is a sad thing, but it's not because of the incest, it because of the parent who would try to force that on their offspring.

Fleaman said:
I'm for this, but everyone who says kids are out is right, and everyone who says inbreeding doesn't traumatize the genome is ass wrong. Aristocrats and royals across history and nationality have practiced inbreeding, and the results are pretty consistent. It basically destroyed the Hapsburgs, and made them look stupid while it was doing it.

But yeah, I say otherwise go for it. I'm interested in what happens to sex mores if the next generation can have intra-family sex, though I hypothesize that family dynamics will actually remain pretty much the same.
There's two words for that: GENERATIONAL INBREEDING.

As in, in-breeding that takes place over several generations, over many years, within the same family. A single instance of in-breeding as has been mentioned several times, is unlikely to cause significant genetic damage or deformity over regular breeding.
Well, that is true I guess... Without that culture of arranging marriages for purity of blood and keeping power close to family, incestuous union would not really be such a serious risk after all.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
I suppose that's a matter of perspective, I consider 4% to be massive when talking about human life. I have heard something about a 4-5% infant fatality rate for inbred children so I was under the impression that the number was quite a bit higher (those just being the fatal defects). I'd be interested to see your source if possible, I know that Iceland conducted a study into inbreeding a while ago...that's because of their population level, NOT a stab at any Icelandic Escapists.

Incidentally, where did that 'old saying' come from? It amused me no end.
The quote was from Hotshots movie.

Honestly I dont recall where I read it. Usually I spend 3 or 4 hours a day reading articles posted on the Internet at various websites. I think it may have been off cracked.com, one of their articles had a link to a medical study on the subject.

Jroo wuz heer

Apr 1, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Generic Gamer said:
Oh ho ho ho....no. No this is a bad idea. Look, I know we like to be all permissive on this website but the damage to children from even one incident of inbreeding is massive.
When did sex equal procreation in modern times?

There's plenty of contraception methods available, sterilisation, birth control pills, and condoms to name a few, as well as copious sex acts which can't result in pregnancy. Furthermore there's the access to abortion.

Just outlaw the procreation. Or vaginal intercourse if strict. It's not like the law has any actual effect when there isn't a child to prove the sexual relation anyway.
no contraception is 100% effective and not all insurance will cover abortion
this is bad

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Bloodstain said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Good.

Should be legal everywhere.
This, a thousand times this.

Good luck, world, trying to stop people who love each other. Besides, those couples will most likely have perfectly normal children...only after multiple generations of incest children could be slightly deformed, for example, having an additional finger.
I'm not engaged in an incestuous relationship, I just like freeeeeeeedom, yeah.
Cute avatar: check

Awesome comment: check

I like you ^^
Yay. ^^ I like you, too. :)
Just don't confuse me with that guy who has a similar avatar...icyneesan, I think. His avatar doesn't have those fancy exclamation marks.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Incest is pretty gross, but if you really wanna do it, they you should be able to. I don't see why its illegal anywhere really.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
Well, repealing it won't make much of a difference one way or another, because right-thinking adults would be utterly repulsed by the very thought of incest.

Doesn't mean I'm in favour of legalising it, though. That's just nasty.

UnwishedGunz

Apr 24, 2009
Zeithri said:
If two people wants to have sex and both are in on it;
There's no law in history that is gonna stop them.

Just don't have kids.

Personal Standpoint: It's their choice. I have no moral quarrels with this.

stupid people in history dont know how to use a condom or birth control

DarkChoclate

Sep 27, 2010
Zeithri said:
If two people wants to have sex and both are in on it;
There's no law in history that is gonna stop them.

Just don't have kids.

Personal Standpoint: It's their choice. I have no moral quarrels with this.
I do have a problem with it. Even if you get around the idea of doing it with your brother or sister, there are other expressions of love than just having sex. Just in a brother and sister relationship, there is every aspect of love and being human other than sex. You care for your sibling, hug them, help when their felling sad, argue and fight with them, kiss them (may be a little odd but, i mean to an extent.) If having an experience with a child with that person is what someone wants, the child could very well be born with defects. I not saying oh, babies with disabilities are bad produce, No. I'm saying, even if your willing to go through that, is it fair to put your child through that. And even if your willing, there will be some nights where your laying in bed staring eyes wide-open, into the darkness thinking "how the fuck am I gonna do this. How will do that... today.. tomorrow... next week... for the rest of my life. Families with no disabilities and minimal problems think of that. Two relatives can adopt a child and be a legitimate family i would think. And i can't imagine that be good for a family, how do does someone even approach that, how will the rest of your family react if you do?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Jroo wuz heer said:
this is bad
Not all forms of sex can lead to pregnancy, so even then only the one form that can needs to be outlawed. And not all health care systems are based around private insurances.

Jroo wuz heer

Apr 1, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Jroo wuz heer said:
this is bad
Not all forms of sex can lead to pregnancy, so even then only the one form that can needs to be outlawed. And not all health care systems are based around private insurances.
true, but it's gonna end badly if they try and be that specific about it.

londelen

Apr 15, 2009
I agree with you man, incest should be completely legal between consenting adults in my opinion.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Jaranja said:
NathLines said:
Jaranja said:
NathLines said:
Fuck family says I. Interpret that however you like. If two persons love eachother, let them be. If they're related, just make sure they don't get kids <.<

EDIT: GOD DAMN ME. I always think of brother-sister relationships when I hear incest. But it involves father-daughter stuff too Dx I don't support people humping their descendants.
Why not? You just said if two people love each other...

Why can't it be Mother-Son?
Because the mother or father in question already had a lover, the other parent. The result of that love(or broken condom but let's stick to love) was that child. And when the two didn't work out, one of them suddenly end up with their kid? It's not much of a matter of love to me but more of a simple way to get laid.

Also, I find it disgusting so it's a lot of personal opinion from my side.
What you said requires is not to be love. I'm saying what if it is love?
Ok, if we are talking love here. The parents love for eachother resulted in, let's say a girl, kinda making her the symbol of their love. Then the relationship doesn't work out and the father falls in love with the symbol of the affection he once held for his past lover, his daughter. That just seems wrong to me.

This could probably just be me being biased since if I had a parent and a sibling who fell in love with eachother, I'd probably try and stop them at all costs. I can't reason much behind this. People just deem it wrong. Including me.

Also, I'm a very anti-family sort of guy. I don't like people being influenced by parents, friends and relatives that they never chose. So the idea of parents falling in love with their children and vice versa just disgusts me.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
Good for the Swiss, no need to put restraints on what consenting adults can do with one another.

Though I doubt the law is going to personally change things for a lot of people :p

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hmm, considering the fuss parents make over drugs that cause deformities and genetic diseases in their babies, it makes perfect sense that there should be laws against even consensual incest.

But then again, it is not in fact illegal for a mother to drink, smoke and take drugs while pregnant... baby may be taken away by social services after birth as that would be considered endangering the child.

One VERY controversial thing I supposed would be to do a 12-week DNA test.

It is a risky procedure to extract DNA from the undeveloped foetus and screen for major genetic conditions.

jamiedf said:
this is so wrong, the chances of any child being born with no problems is minute. and legalising it is paramount to encouraging it.
come on Switzerland, get your crap together
That's very true, but almost everyone is born with one genetic ailment or another, from as simple as predisposition to cancer, diabetes or heart disease.

But you're right that the closer and the MORE GENERATIONS there is in breeding here will be increased genetic disorders.

OK, cousins having offspring is not actually any more dangerous genetically than with any other individual from a population. BUT if cousins within a relatively small population for SUCCESSIVE generations marry cousins, THAT is when genetic disorders increase exponentially with every generation.

I hope this law makes consideration for a "Genetic closeness index" for example 1st cousins may have such small genetic difference (perhaps because previous generations were cousin couples) that having children would just be too risky and they should be offered sterilisation and adoption or donor eggs/sperm.

The real question is (for the law) will this be decided on medical or moral grounds?

Either moral or medical cases will have to consider the ethics of regulating adult consensual relations.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Im whole heartedly against this whole idea.....with my main case being that I don't understand why would anyone want to have sex with a family member? to me that shit is just weird and kinda messed up