Sword Art Online and sexual assault as tension(spoilers for SAO II)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Yes, it's one of these threads again. No, I get no enjoyment from these threads because I ultimately want to smack my head on a desk or I feel like I need a whole lot of pills and alcohol to wash the pain away.

Anyway, I was prompted to write this thread after reading a post here [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2881191&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=91] on the anime news network about SAO II episode 13. Basically, Sinon, the new female lead for the GGO arc, is attacked by a former friend who is in league with a serial killer targeting top players in GGO. He attacks with a syringe of poison but gets pushed by Sinon (yes, i know this is real world but I want to keep the name simple for reference). He then grabs Sinon, throws the syringe away and tries to rape her. Kirito then enters and punches the guy in the face.

Now, I am not opposed to using rape as a narrative device but you better use it well. People on the forums have talked about it some saying that it fits since the attempted rapist is very broken mentally while other argue that it feels too much like a hero fantasy and the fact that Kirito was the one to save Sinon not Sinon herself was what condemned the scene for them. To put it into perspective, Psycho-Pass has a rape in the first episode but the shot was from a distance and the intervention was ultimately not a heroic act but simply a matter of doing the job. It felt a hell of a lot more tasteful than what is described here.

Having read only the light novels and not either of the anime due to the reputation of them, the author does seem to use attempted rape a lot. First, the threat was on Asuna in ALO, then it's Sinon in GGO and later it will be two helpers to the main leads in Alicezation Online. To me, using rape as a narrative device is almost always a one-use item because doing it again may seem exploitative.

Regardless, my (probably invalid) point has been made so what do you think.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Didn't the author in a recent interview basically go "Boy was I young and horny back then!" when talking about his work?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm pretty sure at this point that's just par for the course in SAO.

From what information I can garner about it (not having watched it), it's very big on the self-insert factor. Kirito's always the big hero in everything and he's OP as shit.

Do I really have a problem with this sort of scene? Uhhh. Probably. Maybe I wouldn't, if like you said, she were able to save herself, or Kirito wasn't just God with a different name making this scene par for the course once again.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I saw the thread title, realised I haven't seen the latest episode yet, and watched it.

Boy was that uncomfortable.

I can understand and appreciate when rape is used a narrative device and used well. Three things I hold against this case (no pun intended?);

1) It went on for far too long. It had to be at least 5 minutes of creepy-ass confession and pinning down but it felt a lot longer. I mean, alright we get it already! I know rape is always the furthest thing imaginable from pleasant but if it's making me want to just stop watching the episode (or even the series) then I doubt the writer achieved his/her intention.

2) Sinon didn't save herself. It would have been golden for her character development - her own created avatar inspires her real-life self to take a stand and have courage. That would have fit in beautifully with everything the season had been building towards until now. But no, of course Kirito has to save the f*cking day again.

3) Mr Rapist just came across as moronic. I don't mean in a "Boy, rapists sure are terrible" manner, I mean his reasons for
helping/being Death Gun
were just stupid and not believable in the least. Something I praised SAO for in its early days was carefully attempting to illustrate what would happen to peoples mental well-being if they were trapped inside a death MMO. I can see some players just snapping and justifying PKing, and I can see those same players who survived having trouble adapting to the real world after escaping (cause they can't just run around and kill people now). What I can't see is
the brother of one of those players just being talked into it by the SAO survivor.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Thorn14 said:
Didn't the author in a recent interview basically go "Boy was I young and horny back then!" when talking about his work?
I don't consider that an acceptable excuse. All people go through a horny phase when young yet are also able to control it well enough to make sure that it does not influence projects or works. If he wants to put erotic subtext in his work, he should make a romance harem, not a novel involving a death game and boss fights.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm planning on writing in a rapist into my story, and I have been tearing my hair out over it. I've been asking sexual assault survivors and psychology majors for helpful information, I've been planning it for months, and I'm trying to be really careful about it. First of all, the rape never happens on screen. It's an example of sexual assault in the military, and it's mainly about how a XO is using his position to blackmail a subordinate. The plot is going to be more about the power he has over her and how her will has been worn down over time, and how the main characters help her get it back. Second, I'm gonna be avoiding the sterotypical "Rescuer beats shit out of rapist" thing. While one of the main characters does intimidate him by nearly slitting his throat, that's more my character getting him off her case while she's looking for evidence to incriminate her. 3. I eventually am going to have the rapist get a no blows barred beatdown, but it's from his victim after a superior officer is convinced of his guilt and pretty much tells the girl to do whatever she wants to him. 4. After that point the rapist will drop out of the story and the victim will stay in, focusing on her recover.

Am I on the right track here?

Tomwa

Oct 13, 2008
This thread embodies much of what I hate about the world but let's ignore that for a minute and continue onward:

1. None of the western world is in a "Rape" epidemic. I can't speak for all countries but especially here in the U.S. it's the lowest it's ever been. The feminists just desperately need something to cling to because less than 23% of women and 16% of men identify as feminist. The "1 in 5 college girls are raped" myth is consistently and constantly debunked by people of both genders and every economist who can tell a calculator from calcite has debunked the "Wage gap" myth. Furthermore the facts regarding male victims of partner violence and sexual assault are being consistently poured out into the world and sooner or later people will stop ignoring them.

2. Everyone wants men to "help women", look no further than Emma Watson's recent speech or Obama's anti-male task force calling on men. Apparently it's a man's job to put himself into potential danger for women (oh wait no it isn't). Then you can't even give the people who demonize and decry rape any damned credit because "She has to save her self".

So in short yeah it showed rape, yeah it was scary and it was stopped. In those situations people (of either gender) should be encouraged to use all help they can get not "save themselves", people like you are half the reason we have stupid laws in place that encourage false accusers (Harming REAL victims of sexual abuse).

In short you're the worst kind of social justice warrior, the kind that wants to fight virtual violence for one of the world's least pressing problems instead of getting out and making an ACTUAL DIFFERENCE.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Tomwa said:
This thread embodies much of what I hate about the world but let's ignore that for a minute and continue onward:

1. None of the western world is in a "Rape" epidemic. I can't speak for all countries but especially here in the U.S. it's the lowest it's ever been. The feminists just desperately need something to cling to because less than 23% of women and 16% of men identify as feminist. The "1 in 5 college girls are raped" myth is consistently and constantly debunked by people of both genders and every economist who can tell a calculator from calcite has debunked the "Wage gap" myth. Furthermore the facts regarding male victims of partner violence and sexual assault are being consistently poured out into the world and sooner or later people will stop ignoring them.

2. Everyone wants men to "help women", look no further than Emma Watson's recent speech or Obama's anti-male task force calling on men. Apparently it's a man's job to put himself into potential danger for women (oh wait no it isn't). Then you can't even give the people who demonize and decry rape any damned credit because "She has to save her self".

So in short yeah it showed rape, yeah it was scary and it was stopped. In those situations people (of either gender) should be encouraged to use all help they can get not "save themselves", people like you are half the reason we have stupid laws in place that encourage false accusers (Harming REAL victims of sexual abuse).

In short you're the worst kind of social justice warrior, the kind that wants to fight virtual violence for one of the world's least pressing problems instead of getting out and making an ACTUAL DIFFERENCE.
You know I read through my threads and try to comment right. If you are going to call me out, at least quote me

Anyway yes, there are bigger issues and guess what, just because I'm on a computer talking about a media issues doesn't mean i'm ignoring the bigger picture. I donate money to causes and try to uphold myself to standards of never objectifying people. I obviously could do more but I'm currently limited in ability so I can't do too much.

Also, this is still stupid writing and quite frankly, even I wasn't a SJW as you see me, I would still call it bull because of horrible writing.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
You know what, if people wants to make creepy bullshit like this I'm all for it. Makes things more interesting. Shine on you crazy, glorious bastards.

Tomwa

Oct 13, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
Tomwa said:
My original post
You know I read through my threads and try to comment right. If you are going to call me out, at least quote me
Will do.

SacremPyrobolum said:
Anyway yes, there are bigger issues and guess what, just because I'm on a computer talking about a media issues doesn't mean i'm ignoring the bigger picture. I donate money to causes and try to uphold myself to standards of never objectifying people. I obviously could do more but I'm currently limited in ability so I can't do too much.

Also, this is still stupid writing and quite frankly, even I wasn't a SJW as you see me, I would still call it bull because of horrible writing.
I don't know if I consider it bad writing, I don't like Sinon's character in the first place so I'm not in a place to objectively comment on the bad writing in this instance (I'm personally sick of hearing the constant rape hysteria myself so I'd prefer to never hear the damned word again). I don't care if you find it terrible writing but you can't demonize men who want to fight rape by saying they fantasize about it.

Men have historically loved and protected women, women are generally the people in the closest most intimate relationships with men, therefore men inherently want to protect those women when they're in danger. I have had women protect me as well it is no different. You're treating it like Anita SK and implying that it's a sexist behavior and it's not.

The story wasn't written for women, culture isn't unisex. The episode wasn't written to hurt women it was written to entertain men, the goal of the incident was to make them uncomfortable to build suspense (Even you admit that).

Paying money to causes doesn't make you a good person it doesn't make you an activist, it mean's you have extra money to spend. I don't celebrate when I donate money because it generally means I didn't buy X crappy game this month.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Tomwa said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

I don't know if I consider it bad writing, I don't like Sinon's character in the first place so I'm not in a place to objectively comment on the bad writing in this instance (I'm personally sick of hearing the constant rape hysteria myself so I'd prefer to never hear the damned word again). I don't care if you find it terrible writing but you can't demonize men who want to fight rape by saying they fantasize about it.

Men have historically loved and protected women, women are generally the people in the closest most intimate relationships with men, therefore men inherently want to protect those women when they're in danger. I have had women protect me as well it is no different. You're treating it like Anita SK and implying that it's a sexist behavior and it's not.

The story wasn't written for women, culture isn't unisex. The episode wasn't written to hurt women it was written to entertain men, the goal of the incident was to make them uncomfortable to build suspense (Even you admit that).

Paying money to causes doesn't make you a good person it doesn't make you an activist, it mean's you have extra money to spend. I don't celebrate when I donate money because it generally means I didn't buy X crappy game this month.

The fuck happened here. Got our posts all mixed up! This has never happened to me before. i'm sort of starting to panic.

obscuredlimits

Sep 1, 2010
Hm. To return to the original point, I can see both sides of the argument. Personally I think that the scene went on for far too long. I can argue that Shino was doing everything in her power to help herself, made it to the door, and then Kazuto bursts in to save the day. The whole Kirito saving the day thing, while annoying, is part of the whole self-insert premise that the show works on, so I'll forgive it. Should I happen to watch it again, definitely skipping the scene though. Except maybe that one point with Shino and Sinon.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Thorn14 said:
I don't consider that an acceptable excuse. All people go through a horny phase when young yet are also able to control it well enough to make sure that it does not influence projects or works. If he wants to put erotic subtext in his work, he should make a romance harem, not a novel involving a death game and boss fights.
Never said it was an excuse. I fucking hate SAO. I'm just saying that was probably his justification.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
SAO 2 is a strange beast for me, I was excited to see the first promotional stuff but after I learned that the dark haired girl was Kirito, my enthusiasm was shot through the kneecaps. So whilst I did watch it for a while, the stupid harem crap cropped up and again and I struggled to keep watching. Boggles my mind to try and figure out why this series is so popular, whilst Tokyo Ghouls second season is in a uncertain state of flux.

You know a characters bad when the whole thing can be improved with their removal.

Would've been good if she saved herself, as the parts I did watch were about her finding her strength, so that could've been a great payoff. But no McBland has to have his Cheesecake and eat it too.

Cronenberg1

Aug 20, 2014
Tomwa said:

You're really not helping eliminate the "gamers are sexist" stereotype. Seriously don't talk about this kind of thing unless you're 100% sure you know what you're talking about. Placing rape in quotation marks and saying that it's not a problem is a really fucked up thing to say.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Izanagi009 said:
Yes, it's one of these threads again. No, I get no enjoyment from these threads because I ultimately want to smack my head on a desk or I feel like I need a whole lot of pills and alcohol to wash the pain away.

Anyway, I was prompted to write this thread after reading a post here [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2881191&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=91] on the anime news network about SAO II episode 13. Basically, Sinon, the new female lead for the GGO arc, is attacked by a former friend who is in league with a serial killer targeting top players in GGO. He attacks with a syringe of poison but gets pushed by Sinon (yes, i know this is real world but I want to keep the name simple for reference). He then grabs Sinon, throws the syringe away and tries to rape her. Kirito then enters and punches the guy in the face.

Now, I am not opposed to using rape as a narrative device but you better use it well. People on the forums have talked about it some saying that it fits since the attempted rapist is very broken mentally while other argue that it feels too much like a hero fantasy and the fact that Kirito was the one to save Sinon not Sinon herself was what condemned the scene for them. To put it into perspective, Psycho-Pass has a rape in the first episode but the shot was from a distance and the intervention was ultimately not a heroic act but simply a matter of doing the job. It felt a hell of a lot more tasteful than what is described here.

Having read only the light novels and not either of the anime due to the reputation of them, the author does seem to use attempted rape a lot. First, the threat was on Asuna in ALO, then it's Sinon in GGO and later it will be two helpers to the main leads in Alicezation Online. To me, using rape as a narrative device is almost always a one-use item because doing it again may seem exploitative.

When Tarantino can murder tons of people in every one of his movies and he's still considered a great director it seems hypocritical to complain about fictional rape. Especially when we're on a video game forum which is a medium that has tons of murder and no one complains about how exploitative and immoral that is for fear of looking like Jack Thompson.

Do you like Breaking Bad? How about the montage set to pick yourself up (and start over again).

I tried to think of scenes where one guy saves another from murder and it wasn't that hard, so without seeing the scene It doesn't sound like a big deal.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Calm down and repeat after me:

SAO should not be taken seriously because SAO is terribly written from start to finish. SAO gets so much attention only because it was the first breakaway of the new 'gamer world' trope.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
dragoongfa said:

SAO should not be taken seriously because SAO is terribly written from start to finish. SAO gets so much attention only because it was the first breakaway of the new 'gamer world' trope.
I don't get why the show became popular. I watched the series and all I could think was "shouldn't there be riots in front of the game designer's house?"

oceanwavezero

Jan 22, 2010
Jeez you make these threads complaining about propriety of things you haven't seen a lot.

More on topic:

SAO is not a good show. I've been watching because I apparently don't value my time, but the editing this season has been so hilarious.

A cold open of one of the episodes that cuts to their "super-exciting OP" is half of a conversation with his sister at the breakfast table.

The episode before this literally ended on a line that was something like "My sword is made from the armor of a space battleship". Not only does that make zero fucking sense, it just ends on that line as if it was super-dramatic.

Of course that bad editing continued into the attempted rape scene where crazy eyes went on and on waaaay too long.

To the point of this thread:

"Should sexual assault be used as tension?" Yes because it happens. It's better that it being completely ignored in media. In SAO it's being used frequently and poorly, but anyone who would stop watching because of that would've stopped a few episodes in.

dragoongfa said:

Log Horizon also did an MMO world which strove to be far more intellectually-minded.

It goes into long bouts of stuff about economic and political manipulation.

It's not for everyone, but it's true-to-MMO super nerdy in the best ways, but even it falls into the Japan's harem obsessive nonsense for a bit at the end when it runs out of steam its first season.

Izanagi009 said:
To me, using rape as a narrative device is almost always a one-use item because doing it again may seem exploitative.
Law and Order : SVU

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Izanagi009 said:

Ummm, well rape is a problem because as a general rule women can't protect themselves against a guy who is intent on forcing themselves on them. If there was physical equality and women could routinely fight off rapists we wouldn't be having this discussion or the various social issues connected to it because women able to protect themselves would view it as a non-issue. What's more as someone who has strong feelings on the subject as both a rape victim as a child, and someone who has escorted numerous women in dark parking lots and garages (I was casino security as I've said many times) I will say that I think this scene is healthy on a lot of levels because one of the worst things you can do in a realistic capacity is tell women they can fight guys successfully. Sure in some cases if the girl is in great shape or well trained and the dude isn't it can work, but in most cases when girls try and fight guys it ends badly despite what people think should have happened. This is why I have severe criticisms of self defense classes, martial arts studios, and other things that teach women they can become empowered and fight guys, some dude whose a foot taller and 60 pounds heavier than you is going to pretty much laugh off your kung-fu lessons especially if he too knows how to fight (and face it, most people who want to involve themselves in physical violence or overpowering people DO practice unlike the movies). I've been a big proponent of the "sexist" attitude that the best thing to teach women is just enough to run away and find help. As well as a frequent critic of making sure that certain places like stairwells, parking lots, and garages are a lot better lit and patrolled than most people do (basically when a rape or something happens people care for about 15 minutes then the bean counters stop spending the money). If a woman has any doubts, find an escort, most employees/security guys love to feel macho in escorting women ( :) ), and the thing is that if the people your coming from know that person odds are they aren't going to turn around and rape you because even if your paranoid obviously everyone knows who it was that walked out with you.

That said yeah, protecting a girl from attackers is a pretty typical "heroic" thing, and let's be honest, this is an anime. Anime is directed at young adults, it's not setting out to be deep, the tropes come from this kind of thing. Sure the odds of the manly hero being around to defend the rape victim are minimal, just like he's not likely to be around ahead of the fire department to heroically rescue children from a burning building, but it works for heroic fantasy.

As far as rape goes, I don't mind shying away from the subject especially when it makes sense. Think of it this way, if your a creep whose out to murder someone to begin with, when your latest victim is a pretty girl your already sociopathic mentality is going to probably figure you might as well have some fun first. You'll notice that in real life when the victims of such scumbags show up they usually were raped and tortured before being killed. Face it, being at the mercy of a sociopath who has already decided to kill you probably isn't going to be fun. If there is nobody around odds are he's going to have some "fun" first. To be frank it seems like people who just kill in cases like this are comparatively rare, but then again that's also how a lot of them are caught because you leave more evidence behind in doing something like this, which is actually a good thing I suppose. Objectively speaking if someone did break into your house to kill you and they are a lot stronger than you, your going to die anyway if nothing else happens, if they rape you first there is actually a better chance that they will be caught and your death avenged. Not a pleasant way to see it, and not how people will think of it at the time, but it's a "bright side". See when someone acts quickly, efficiently, and decisively, they have a much better chance of getting away, and that's actually one of the things that in the real world serves as a sign of a professional killer, someone who just gets the job done (nothing personal) rather than having fun with it, robbing the place, or farting around trying to disguise the scene. In, kill, out, as quick and easy as possible. The guy doing that is probably a sociopath as well, of course, but a different sort, his reward typically comes from whomever is paying him (or the satisfaction of simply doing the job if it's personal but someone who acts like a professional).

That's also why if someone actually put a gun to my head and told me to go with them somewhere I'd say "no, shoot me here". Odds are I'm dead anyway if they know what they are doing, but I'd prefer to avoid giving them control to potentially do something more than kill me, as well as giving them less control over the evidence by knowing the environment, and having a convenient place to try and dispose of my body.

Too much rambling, but the bottom line is that it seems like a reasonable scene to me given the kind of work in question. It's sort of like some Conan type freeing a warlord's harem of slave girls and then getting lucky. We're by definition not talking a realistic situation (vintage style sword and sorcery) and of course it's a power fantasy, but heck, that's sword of why your reading that kind of stuff. You don't read stuff like Conan, or imitations there of because your looking for a lot of depth or enlightened consideration of gender dynamics. In the stories Conan's first great love as I remember was a pirate queen who commanded a crew of huge black dudes she freed from some barbarian country, but none of them were worthy of her. In attacking a boat Conan was hired on to defend (one he fled to at the end of "The God In The Bowl" I believe) her minions overwhelmed him, but she was so impressed by his might and raw sex appeal she just HAD to have this guy, so Conan started sailing around with her as a river pirate and her personal boy toy/bodyguard/strong arm before she was eventually killed by a monster in a ruin (which Conan then in turn killed, but went into mourning). The point is we're not talking politically correct stuff here, but it is manly fantasy of a sort. Exactly the same audience "Sword Art Online" is probably going for... If your analyzing gender politics in stuff like this your thinking about it too much to be the target audience. Put your brain into neutral and enjoy the ride, intellectual slumming can be fun. :)