Sword Art Online and sexual assault as tension(spoilers for SAO II)

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Spoiler ahead obviously: Honestly I was expecting Sinon to save herself there with the gun in her house. When Kirito kicked the door in and nailed the guy I thought that the kid would go for the poison, forcing Sinon to have to shoot him to save Kirito and making her realize that what she did before wasn't murder; she had saved somebodies life just as she had done now.

That is what I thought would happen anyway, boy was I surprised when Kirito was saved by a goddamn heart monitor electrode. Instead they had to go into this big thing where Sinon met the mother she saved beforehand and it all seemed a little cheesy. I mean don't get me wrong, I liked the episode, I was just a little disappointed that the obvious story route that would have made the most sense and not stepped on anybodies toes was tossed for another "man isn't kirito such a badass?" moment.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
That's not important.
What is actually important is SAO GOT SEASON 2???
DA FAQ???

How the hell ridiculous mediocrity like SAO gets continuation while FullMetalPanic does not?
(Especially after SecondRaid and knowing that story gets only better)

I just don't get it.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

dragoongfa, can I borrow animated gif from you?
dragoongfa said:
Thank you, it perfectly expresses my feelings.

Let me guess, next we'll get 2nd season of Chrome Shielded Regios or something?
Wouldn't surprise me :(

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
blackrave said:
How the hell ridiculous mediocrity like SAO gets continuation while FullMetalPanic does not?
Because SAO is popular and is selling well?

As for FMP, blame Kyoto Animation for sitting on their ass and not doing anything with that while going full on cute girls doing cute things mode after Haruhi. It didn't help that TSR was rather meh overall.

Indeed, tbh TSR portion of the story was by far the weakest to me. But then again, SAO also gets better after GGO, so there you have it.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
F4TK said:
I'm gonna take back my last post, Episode 14 made things much, much better.
Yeah, same xD

I especially laughed when Kirito was "dying", only for it to be revealed that he was being a melodramatic idiot for the sake of being a melodramatic idiot.

Like, if I could've reached through my screen and smacked him on the back of the head I would have.

Also I like how Kirito trying to play hero nearly does end up with him dead (with sheer dumb luck being the only thing keeping him alive). It was a nice, kind of self-aware moment that I am not at all used to with this series.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
SAO killed their lead female's arc by making her a prisoner, who was going to marry an assholes, who was going to rape her in-game.

SAO II has continued this tradition of taking a giant shit on female leads with gusto.

I stopped watching after the first few episodes, barely made it though the first season/series.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
kyp275 said:
blackrave said:
Because SAO is popular and is selling well?

As for FMP, blame Kyoto Animation for sitting on their ass and not doing anything with that while going full on cute girls doing cute things mode after Haruhi. It didn't help that TSR was rather meh overall.

Indeed, tbh TSR portion of the story was by far the weakest to me. But then again, SAO also gets better after GGO, so there you have it.
kyp275 said:
kyp275 said:
It didn't help that TSR was rather meh overall.
kyp275 said:
TSR was rather meh
GET OUT!!! Or there will be blood.

P.S. You of course have right to have your own opinion, but that doesn't mean I won't rip your spine out because of it :)

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I get annoyed over topics like these so feel free to ignore my mini rant:
First off,I don't want to get into the whole debate about rape not being worse than (Or even as bad as) murder but I mean surely if people can see taking away two years of 20,000 peoples lives and killing at least half of them as acceptable than an attempted rape shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

Secondly, its a fictional anime about a fucking hero that kicks arse and chews bubblegum. Its not a god damn commentary on society in general and you need to get a hobby if 'the fact that Kirito was the one to save Sinon not Sinon herself was what condemned the scene' for you. There are plenty of super inspirational empowered female heroines that you can go watch, people who don't share that view don't ***** and moan about how men aren't shown as independent or powerful in it. They do the sensible thing and ignore it rather than kick up a massive fuss over nothing. Not everything on the earth needs to reflect your views.
God damn.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Well SAO is harem trash so what did you expect. Not that there is anything inherrently wrong with harem, but the way SAO wants to be taken seriously at the same time just irks me. And I don't know if rape threat should be a one time thing as long as there is context to it, look at Berserk. The threat of rape and actual rape constantly hangs around the head of females in that series. But granted berserk is set in a grim dark medieval setting so that's to be expected.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
I didn't get to see Kirito save her because I'd stopped watching before then. I might not watch another episode again. It's unrelated to me being opposed to seeing rape used in fiction(which I'm not), it's just that it was so damn uncomfortable to watch. So yeah, if your point is that that scene was really really shitty, to the point of ruining the whole anime, I agree.

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
blackrave said:
GET OUT!!! Or there will be blood.

P.S. You of course have right to have your own opinion, but that doesn't mean I won't rip your spine out because of it :)
Heh, it really is a shame that there's still no FMP anime (which just makes it more and more unlikely for there to be one). As it's quite often to use the anime as a promotion tool to boost sale of the LN, the fact that FMP novels has been finished for so long probably doesn't help either.

As for TSR, I just really didn't care for that moping Sagara section of the story. It's in that transition phase where the funny part of the story is starting to go away, but the drama hasn't picked up full-steam yet.

Tarfeather said:
I didn't get to see Kirito save her because I'd stopped watching before then.
You wouldn't have even if you had watched, considering that it ends up being Shinon who actually saves Kirito.

Krispness

Apr 22, 2013
The story in SAO is always quite interesting. The characters are always pretty bad. That's what you get when you make a manga out of a boy's teenage fantasy. He had a great idea but it's quite obviously a hero narrative.

That said, I was really hoping Sinon would up and shoot the guy...maybe he'd mutter something about helping her get strong before the cops arrive, NOW you have drama with a dead guy, a girl in shock and a lot of accusations until Kirito arrives to explain it. There you go, Kirito can still be the hero in some way.