Swords Crossed: Chapter 1: The Journey of a Thousand Miles ( closed, and started)

Green Shoes

Mar 6, 2013
Tao bowed slightly, yet sharply at his introduction.

"Pleased to meet you, Nathan. My name is Tao; are you here to meet the strange gentleman, like the others?" He motioned to the small gathering beginning to appear surrounding Emmett; clearly he was a man of great importance, or had something of equal significance to offer.

Listening in, Tao caught snippets of the conversation. At the word bloody, he raised his eyebrows. Perhaps they were mercenaries.

Eyes fixed on Emmett, Tao spoke again to Nathan, without shifting his gaze.

"I hope you are not here to stir trouble, Mr. Winters. Do you know what is going on?"

Dec 14, 2009
As Emmett sat her down, Reiko looked up at the elderly man next to her. He looked scary, with a stern look on his face. She hugged the bag of peaches close to her chest as she looked around the room. When did it get so busy in there? How many of these people were here to see Emmett?

"When I said I wanted a girl, she wasn't quite what I had in mind."

"Huh?" Reiko tilted her head curiously, the man wasn't the same colour as Emmett and he was really ugly, but he wasn't Japanese either. She'd ask Emmett later, since she started travelling with him, she'd learned a lot about other lands, he'd surely know where the ugly man came from.

"however, I'm afraid you must agree to the job in question before you learn the details. If that is too much of a gamble, then leave now."

Reiko looked up as Emmett finish, but her eyes were drawn to the figure behind him.

"It's you!" She proclaimed, smiling.

============================================================================================

Amaya listened to the man's proposal. So he was the one. Good. She followed the stare of the little girl from earlier. Some foul looking man from the Middle East no doubt, she was sure she could smell his putrescence from where she stood.

"It's you!"

Amaya bowed her head slightly, "I came across information that the possibility of employment was being offered here. It appears that information was correct."

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Tao seemed friendly enough, and Nathan could feel himself gradually loosening up, getting over his previous embarrassment.

"I hope you are not here to stir trouble, Mr. Winters. Do you know what is going on?"

"Trouble? Oh, no." Nathan replied "I'm just a traveler, passing though. My next port of call was going to be in Namako, but with the recent troubles the roads between here and there have not been safe for a lone and humble soul like myself to travel alone. That's when word started to get round of a Westerner, like myself, looking for loyal men to make the trek that way. Now I'm no fighter, but I hope that if I can prove myself of some use in what fields of expertise I do possess, I may benefit from the protection of those that are."

===============================================================================================================================

"Well, I wouldn't put it past you,"

Bashir couldn't help but be a little offended, and his eyes narrowed at the white man. He wasn't usually one to be prickly where women were concerned. Bashir's appetites were large, and he sated them when and how he pleased. Most of the women he'd had were bought, a scant few came to him willingly, and others he had taken by force. It didn't matter much to him. Children though? That was different. He'd fought beside men who liked that sort of thing before. Sometimes, after Bashir had seen them at it, he would find a reason to get into a drunken row with them, giving him an excuse do cut them to pieces with Red Elinor.

It wasn't quite enough to claim that he was soft where children were concerned. He would have killed this girl who sat at the table with them without a second thought, if it was part of a job, or just if she got in the way. If he was paid to, he might well have carried her off to some man who could mean to do all manner of things to her, and his conscience would rest easy after a few stiff drinks, and maybe a good fight. Bashir was hardly one for drawing lines in the sand, but he supposed that their was always a exception.

"however, I'm afraid you must agree to the job in question before you learn the details. If that is too much of a gamble, then leave now."

"You drive a hard bargain, whitey." Bashir said, after taking a second to incline his head to the scarred woman who had materialized behind him, with a mischievous little smile on his face that suggested he wouldn't mind giving her a few more. "If I wasn't in no hurry to up sticks, I'd tell ya to take your offer, sharpen the tip, and then bugger yourself with it!" he barked with laughter again. "But I suppose I been with uglier whores before, I got no trouble closing my eyes and getting this one over with. If I don't come away from this with enough coin to drink myself from here to Okinawa though, I'll come back for ya and paint that pretty coat of yours all in red, you hear?"

============================================================================================================================

Akira did not like the sound of this deal one bit, and Kazuki Sato appeared to share his concerns. His Master's voice was calm and courteous as ever, but it had a cold edge to it that Akira had learned to recognize, subtle as it was. It was a tone he ha heard a lot, during the early years of his training, where Sato would command that Akira repeat an action, hundreds of times if necessary, until he could do it perfectly twenty times in a row.

"I find myself in agreement with this... fellow soldier." Sato said, giving the sell-sword a look that plainly conveyed that that was all that Sato 'agreed' with about him. "I have pledged myself to many causes, but never have I been called upon to place all that I possess in the hands of a Westerner of whom I know nothing, on the promise of a reward dependent entirely on his sincerity. Men usually know better than to presume so much."

"Master," Akira bent low to whisper in Sato's ear. "Perhaps we should leave. I mislike the look of much of this company, and this Westerner demands too much. Besides, no Emperor came to our aid when we were driven from our homes, why should we answer their call now?"

Sato nodded, to confirm that he understood, before turning back to Mr. Smythe.

"My loyal friend speaks much sense. Only fools and desperate men would balance their lives on such a narrow string, and we are not fools... so you should count yourself fortunate, that we are the latter." he finished, allowing himself a small smile.

Akira held his silence. Dispite his misgivings, he also felt relief. One way or another, there would be no more running.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
When Shiori reached the inn that the westerner was staying at, she could overhear some of the discussions between him and the potential swordsmen seeking employment. Some spoke in a manner similar to her husband but none were explicitly samurai, ronin perhaps. But there were voices that were rough and quite ill-mannered. She instinctively felt for her dagger in her sleeves and her tessen tucked into her obi, just for some reassurance. I hope they will be willing to hear my plea.

Knowing it would be impolite to simply barge in while everyone was discussing their terms, she remained in the hallway. The last thing she wanted was to ruin her chances for discussion. Once it sounded like everything was settled, then she would make her approach.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
'Well this is a fine mess.'

Jules didn't quite know how this had happened. He took another swig of his flask as he tried to figure this out; fit the pieces of the puzzle together in his head. His horse had managed to wedge itself inbetween two very close walls, it's haunches wedged firmly inbetween them, as well as some of the merc's gear. It was a very, very obedient horse. And more than a tad dumb.

"Ah, sod it. Sorry, Arrow!" Jules kicked the mare's rear with force, inching it ever outwards. If it kept moving forward, the streets were crammed with people but wider in general. With a grunt, he kicked again, and again, finally getting the blasted thing out. Unfortunately, the ungrateful li'l shit ran off a bit. Jules, with a sigh, started after it, cursing his heavy armor of choice.

===================================================================================

Akio was enjoying his walk, for he didn't pack much and the sun was enjoyable. He supposed he should've been in some great hurry, everyone around him seemed to be. The smells of the city certainly weren't the most pleasant to someone who spent his time out on the country, but he would live. Probably. Human feces was certainly mixed pretty well in there, and it made the young man more hesitant about his step.

Seemed an important man was entering the city, or so the guards suggested. Could've just been a paranoid guy, but most were more worried about spirits than men. In the end it was always the latter who brought them their end. He tried to ignore, but he found himself curious over who it could be. He was well armored and noble looking, but he couldn't assign a name to the face.

They disbanded within the city, or at least rode into it. They seemed to be heading where he himself was. Probably an assumption on his part, it wasn't like they were mercenary. He didn't think, at least, he hadn't been keeping up with politics. A small failing on his part, he supposed.

The shinobi chose a more scenic route around the city, enjoying himself... but he could admit he was itching for a fight. Not a straight fight, he wanted a big, slow guy who would underestimate his opponents. That would be best. In the end, he almost got trampled by a horse, and it's owner, some drunk in armor.

He sighed, finding the tavern and headed inside. A bunch of men were seated around, and they seemed to be discussing... well, girls, really. Around a child. Almost sickening, to the kid, but he held his tongue as he approached, holding his satchel close.

"Excuse me, are any of you a Mr. Emmett Smythe? I've journeyed far to get here..."

A loud crash came from behind, as another man, a pink faced and out of breath white man with a mustache came barging in, having tied Arrow outside so he wouldn't run off. He approached the table, looking at them all up and down.

"... Why is there a child in a tavern?"

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"Only fools and desperate men would balance their lives on such a narrow string, and we are not fools... so you should count yourself fortunate, that we are the latter."

"Excellent," Emmett replied, "although that was more for their benefit, Sato. I suspect this is a goal that you will very much want to apply yourself to. But allow me to--" but he was cut off by the appearance of yet another warrior. A Shinobi, he thought, followed by an out of breath white man.

"Excuse me, are any of you a Mr. Emmett Smythe? I've journeyed far to get here..."

"That I am," he replied impatiently, ignoring the remark about Reiko. Almost by rote, he began reiterating for these newcomers the conditions of payment, and prior agreement that he had explained to the others. He supposed this was one of his flaws. Emmett could wait for days for even the slightest scrap of information, or anything else he needed, no matter hoe meager. But when he was in the final stretch of setting up something important, as he was now, he felt an itch to move things to their conclusion quickly.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Sensing that the time was right, Nathan strode forward, thinking it best to act like the little incident in the alley earlier hadn't happened.

"Exuse me! Mr Smythe..." he piped up, easing his way the the front of the gathering crowd. "I would also like to pledge my name to this expedition. I am no soldier, that much is plain, but I feel I might have talents that would be useful to you in other ways."

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"I would also like to pledge my name to this expedition. I am no soldier, that much is plain, but I feel I might have talents that would be useful to you in other ways."

Emmett gave Nathan a deadpan look. "I'm here for the sole purpose of recruiting warriors to shed enough blood to drown a herd of horses. What, pray tell, could you possibly be useful for?"

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
"That I am."

Akio nodded, with a neutral expression on his face that didn't waver. Jules just growled something about being ignored, as both listened to they payment thing. Jules didn't care, so long as bad people got his spear yadda yadda, and Akio was just excited about getting ANY work. The fact it was official only added to it.

"Exuse me! Mr Smythe... I would also like to pledge my name to this expedition. I am no soldier, that much is plain, but I feel I might have talents that would be useful to you in other ways."

Akio turned to face the new guy, another European. Not even a warrior. What use COULD he be?

"I'm here for the sole purpose of recruiting warriors to shed enough blood to drown a herd of horses. What, pray tell, could you possibly be useful for?"

Jules slapped his own forehead, moving next to the little girl and doing a small flourish. "I doubt you intensely." He informed the old man. Akio gave a small "Shush" despite holding the same doubts.

Green Shoes

Mar 6, 2013
Watching Nathan step forward to pledge himself, Tao pondered over this strange meeting. Emmett stated he was looking for warriors, but for what purpose? A vie for power? Money? Women? His brow furrowed at the thought of unnecessary violence. Stepping forward, parallel to Nathan, he spoke in a stern yet neutral tone, addressing Emmett directly.

"Apologies for interrupting, but what is the cause for such violence? Is it so blind and indirect that you have no need for people of tact and wisdom, like Mr. Winters?"

He gave a small nod to Nathan; being the only one Tao had spoken to, he hoped to form a friendship, at least before these would-be vagabonds left. Most of these people were fighters; he thought he even spied a Ronin earlier. Weapons made him uneasy, but he kept his composure unshakeable. His eyes focused solely on Emmett, trying to discern the quality of his character.

Dec 14, 2009
Amaya noted the growing unease in the air. There were quite a few people who wanted to be a part of this expedition, it seemed.

Everyone was in such a hurry to make themselves known, she didn't doubt that she would be drowned out by the sea of proposals.

Amaya glanced around the tavern, locating the least occupied corner. She stepped forward "Sir, my name is Kaneko, I will be present at this inn for the day, and will most likely be staying overnight, should you require my services." She bowed slightly and headed to a corner, removing her katana from her obi and propping it against the table as she sat. She opened her small pouch and removed her kiseru and some shredded tobacco. Like the previous inn she stayed at, this one also supplied a small charcoal fire pot on each table for which to light the tobacco. Amaya cradled the pipe in her hand, quietly blowing out smoke while she listened out for anything of interest.

==============================================================================================
Reiko was unsure of what was happening around her. There were a lot of men with weapons, even the lady in blue had some blades.

"Exuse me! Mr Smythe... I would also like to pledge my name to this expedition. I am no soldier, that much is plain, but I feel I might have talents that would be useful to you in other ways."

This man had the same skin colour and accent as Emmett. Were they from the same country?

"I doubt you intensely."

Another white man, but this one's accent was different, no way he was from the same place as Emmett. She gently tugged Emmett's robe. "Emmett, what's going on?"

"Sir, my name is Kaneko, I will be present at this inn for the day, and will most likely be staying overnight, should you require my services."

Kaneko, the lady in blue's name was Kaneko. It sounded like a last name though.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"Apologies for interrupting, but what is the cause for such violence? Is it so blind and indirect that you have no need for people of tact and wisdom, like Mr. Winters?"

Nathan gave a small nod in Tao's direction, in acknowledgement of his support. A rather smaller nod than he might otherwise have done. It was that Nathan did not appreciate someone whom he had had such a brief introduction with standing up for him. In fact, he was rather touched. The problem was that the way in which Tao had chosen to stand up was not particularly helpful to Nathan. He wasn't sure how much Tao knew, nor how much of the whole story he himself was aware of, but what Nathan did know was that he was in as much need of all this 'blind and indirect violence' as Mr. Smythe was, should Nathan ever have a hope of reaching Namako alive.

"Well, Mr. Smythe..." Nathan began, hoping against hope that his nerves would not betray him at such a crucial moment. "I may not be a native to this land, but I do possess some considerable skill in Geography, Geology and Navigation. Those skills could have certain tactical implementations. Should we, for example, ever need to divert from our preferred path, away from dangers, I may be able to puzzle out safe detours over terrain that might otherwise seem impassable." Now might have seemed like a good time to share a few anecdotes out one expedition to the Andes mountains 3 years ago, but Nathan felt the need to score as many potential points as possible before someone shot him down. "Should we ever need to communicate with others who either cannot, or do not care to, speak the local tongue, I am fluent in 10 different languages, and passable in several more. I could act as a translator. Also, now, I won't claim to be a doctor, but I have in my travels had to learn how to deal with fatigue and injury, both in myself and in others, and sometimes in very harsh conditions with limited resources."

While other people were still talking around him, Nathan had so far managed to make himself heard above all of them, and still no-one had interrupted him or thrown him bodily from the establishment. Growing more confident that he might be on to a winner, Nathan smiled and continued on."

"Practical skills are not all I offer though." he told Mr. Smythe, a glint of his excitable passion appearing in his eyes, that always transpired when he began to talk about his greatest passion. "You see, I am also something of a travelling bard, or poet, or novelist. It varies really, but the point is that I can provide something that may be more valuable than all the swords you could wish for. In every town and village along our way I can tell tales of your heroism, your courage and your righteousness, and thereby win more blades to your cause. I can make people great and small follow you with pride and fervor in their hearts. When we reach more populous areas, perhaps somewhere with a port, I can spread my tales of this daring quest, and the noble fellowship who guide its course far and wide. I can make an entire nation look to you in hope, if you would have it of me; and when this story is done, I can make it so that, hundreds of generations and thousands of years from now, your character remains true and your cause remains just."

Nathan spread his hand for dramatic emphasis, now positively beaming.

"That is what I offer most of all! Immortality, Mr. Smythe. Immortality, for you, and for every man and woman who follows you!"

============================================================================================================================

"Ah, shut yer piss-hole!" Bashir growled roughly "Any more talk like that's gonna make me sober, and you don't wanna be around me when I'm hungover."

"Sir, my name is Kaneko, I will be present at this inn for the day, and will most likely be staying overnight, should you require my services."

"Does that go for the troops as well?" he sniggered. "I got plenty of 'services' in mind for you! You can start right now if you like."

Bashir had never bedded anyone with only one arm before. The prospect intrigued him. He wondered if perhaps learning to get by with just one might make a woman more... dexterous, with her fingers. He's be anxious to try it out. It wasn't as if scars bothered him either, or else he wouldn't have so many himself. He might even let her give him a few more, he thought, just for the price of letting him try her out for the night.

"That is what I offer most of all! Immortality, Mr. Smythe. Immortality, for you, and for every man and woman who follows you!"

There was a pause after the bookish one finished his long-winded justification for his existence. Silence fell, and then was quickly broken again when Bashir gave a most almighty howl of mirth

"pfffffffffffffffffffttHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!" he exclaimed, tears welling up in his eyes as he slapped the table once, twice, and then thrice. "Oh... oh Godpffthahahahahaha! I like this one! Fuck me, that was good! I'd let you tag along that's for sure. I might even lift Red Elinor in your defense if you stay that funny. If you didn't though, I'd be inclined to cut your tongue out with her!"

He threw back his head again and laughed at his own joke.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"I doubt you intensely."

Emmett paused, and gave the man a steely look, ignoring Reiko's questions.

"Then leave," he replied curtly.

Then the female Ronin came forward. Emmett turned to her. "Well, never let it be said that I discriminated on gender. You have the bearing of a warrior, one arm or not. Of course you may join us."

Then this man Nathan came out with a speech in his own defense. Emmett smiled at him. "Boy, I was living off Bard's skills when you were in swaddling. But yes, the rest of it may well be useful. And we'll be less conspicuous if it looks more like those of us armed are protecting some who aren't. But I had to know how you'd pull your own weight. I suppose we should get some others to complete the illusion of a travelling band. Although if they have no useful skills, I intend to make them help cover the costs of our merry band."

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
"Then leave."

"Eh, I just hear you talk about the pay. Might as well stay." Jules shrugged, putting on a tight, wry smile. "'Sides, someone has to think of the children."

Akio sighed at that, burying his face in his palm. He just wanted to start freaking working. The bard was apparently allowed to stay as well as the girl. Cover was good, a bunch of useless people sitting around in combat was worse. Critiquing his style was out of the question though, he'd grin and bear it.

"Please tell me we set out soon." Akio muttered, still noot sitting down.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
"And we'll be less conspicuous if it looks more like those of us armed are protecting some who aren't. But I had to know how you'd pull your own weight. I suppose we should get some others to complete the illusion of a travelling band. Although if they have no useful skills, I intend to make them help cover the costs of our merry band."

"That is folly." Akira blurted out.

Both Smythe and Sato looked at him, the second knowingly, the first in stern curiosity. Akira wasn't normally used to speaking so frankly. He had always prided himself on giving honest and pointed counsel, when it was asked of him, but speaking out of turn was not in his nature. However, Akira heard just about enough, and he was angry. Had they really sunk so low, that rather than face battle they would slink by it to the tune of fiddles and drums? When they finally clashed with the enemy, would Akira be expected to lay waste to those around him with one hand, whilst juggling with the other, perhaps with the little girl to his right standing on his head? Was that the tune that would carry them home? Had his brothers in arms died for this humiliation? Akira and his men might be homeless, serving a lord others mocked for a beggar, but they could even take a certain pride in that, in their unfailing loyalty and tenacity. This though, this was too much.

"Apologies, Mr. Smythe." Akira said, with a stiff bow. He had started now, and as uncomfortable as he was he must finish. "But we found you easily enough, and as stupid as the thugs who name themselves rebels may be, they are not so stupid as to not be on the lookout for strays, for former friends of the Emperor who might band together and harry them. They will know we are coming, make no mistake, no matter how many children and poets we cower behind; and when they come across us, do you think men such as these will hesitate to butcher innocents, even on the slightest suspicion that true warriors may be among them? We must cut a bloody swathe through to Namako, giving no quarter, or perish in the attempt. How do you imagine we do either with short legs, open mouths and sword-less hands in tow? You, Gaijin!" he turned to address the bookish Westerner "Survive this if you can, and when it fill whoever's ear with whatever tales you like, but my stories are my own. I mean to take back our home, and our honour, or else to drown in the blood of the unworthy, and I need no gallant rhymes to strengthen my steel."

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Now that Emilio had his charcoal sketch in hand, he was anxious to begin the painting. Now it was about finding a suitable place to begin. When he returned to his studio, he found it far too dark for his liking. Lighting candles wouldn't help things either, not for this masterpiece. He had to find someplace well lit and plenty spacious. Once he grabbed some brushes, a small canvas, and a variety of his paints--some yellows, reds, blues, black and white--he took to the streets. Any spot he could think of was taken up either by merchants or the crowds. He spotted what looked like an inn in the distance. "That can work. I hope they won't mind."

The building was certainly big, and there was a large number of people that were concentrated in one end of the lobby. They were a rowdy lot, and he couldn't quite make out what they were discussing or even arguing over. From the looks of it, some looked like travelers, while others looked like robed swordsmen--samurai as the locals called them. Finding a corner of the room that wasn't occupied, he stretched out his canvas and pulled out his paints. Laying out his sketch nearby, he slowly began painting a subtle color background, something to make the figure really pop.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"We must cut a bloody swathe through to Namako, giving no quarter, or perish in the attempt. How do you imagine we do either with short legs, open mouths and sword-less hands in tow?"

Was this man really so foolish? Emmett resisted the temptation to pinch the bridge of his nose and sigh He had thought the man might be at least some ways sensible until he had suggested such a bloody path. "Did it not occur to you, sir, that the reason all the men here have found me is because I needed to be found by such? This is a matter of being inconspicuous in the general sense, and having simple travelers along aids that fact. If we 'cut a bloody swathe through to Namako', we will alert the Yakuza through the area that an armed force is trying to break through and shall be harassed as far as we have to go. I intend to see that every man I recruit makes it to that city. And vain, idiotic glory seeking serves us not at all in that regard. Cowardice does not come into it, but rather simple, logical sense. Something I'd expect the guard captain of such a pragmatic Shogun would possess."

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Akira bit his tongue rather than retort. Perhaps he had got carried away and hadn't been clear, but 'vain, idiotic glory seeking' was not what he had been suggesting, simply that the likes of the Yakuza and their cronies would sooner kill every last man, woman and child they came across than let a troupe of soldiers pass by unmolested due to a few non-combatants in their ranks. Neither had he been suggesting that Mr. Smythe was a coward, but rather that he had seriously underestimated his foe. As thuggish as they were, they were not completely stupid. This Inn was hardly private. Even excluding those who could be eavesdropping from afar, half of those getting ready to swear their swords to this cause looked of questionable loyalty to Akira. There were a hundred different ways that the enemy might be forewarned of their approach, in which case it would be prudent to strike first, to be the harriers rather than the harried. Bloody the foe in hard, fast raids, preferably at night. Make the Yakuza and the other rebels think that they were a larger, more formidable force than they would look by daylight, distracting and dividing them at the same time. It would not be open battle, but they would evade the main thrust of their foe, by making that foe believe they were in a hundred places at once, rather than this slow, transparent farce that Mr. Smythe was suggesting.

Still, the man seemed to be in no mood to argue, and like it or not he was Akira's only chance of seeing home again, so he resolved himself with a cold stare. Sato, however, was the one who spoke.

"You will forgive my loyal Captain for speaking out of turn." he said, with the commanding strength in his voice of a man half his years. The mild tone was still there, but Akira noted well how the statement was not made as a request. It was all in the subtleties with Sato. "He is weary, as are al of my men, and we have tasted the bitterness of betrayal too well. Half the men Akira has cut down in my name were once his brothers-in-arms. His doubts are understandable. Still, this is not the place to argue over tactics."

=========================================================================================================================

"...Still, this is not the place to argue over tactics."

Bashir put it more succinctly.

"Fight? Hide? Either way, let's just get this ***** over with."

Dec 14, 2009
Reiko soon grew bored of all the talk, she didn't really understand any of what was being said. She instead turned her attention to the painter in the corner, she glanced at Emmett before she hopped off the chair and made her way over to the painter, bag of peaches held to her chest.

"C... can I see?" She asked the artist shyly.

=====================================================

Amaya smiled to herself as she overheard the two men argue over tactics. Both had valid points, Smythe was a very cautious man, and undoubtedly had a foreign way of viewing things, which could be potentially very advantageous, the left handed swordsman almost always had an advantage from the outset. However, she could also understand the captain's perspective, she had heard of this 'beggar' Shogun, and she respected them. One can not progress with nothing unless one has the most steadfast of determination. She glanced down at the place her left arm should be occupying. Amaya knew that truth all too well.

Moderation, in all things. Excessive force would do them no good, while doing nothing at all was equally as unfavourable, albeit, with a lesser outcome of a messy demise, so she supposed that was a point in Smythe's favour.

The ronin glanced at the Italian as he sat in the corner opposite her. He didn't appear to be interested in Smythe's enterprise, but rather in the canvas he had in front of him. She narrowed her eye slightly, slowly puffing smoke from her pipe.

Quite the ethnically diverse crowd.

The girl also seemed drawn to this man, although for very different reasons, she was sure.

She glanced over at Smythe. How an Englishman managed to procure such a child, now that was what really escaped her.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
"C... can I see?"

Emilio smiled at the little bundle of adorable. "Of course, little bambina." He turned the canvas towards her as he made more broad strokes for the background. "It doesn't look like much, but soon it will be beautiful!"

The little girl simply cocked her head and stared at the canvas. Noticing this, he reached for the sketch next to him. "Here's a little sneak peak of who I'm painting. Just be careful, please," he said as he handed her the sketch of the eccentric man from the market.

=====================================================

Shiori watched as the group slowly came together. It looked like most, if not all, had arrived and made their arrangements. Taking a deep breath, she stepped into the room. Keeping her hands folded in front of her, she made her way to the group, specifically towards the Englishman whom she recognized from the marketplace.

She bowed before him. "Hello. My name is Shiori Higa. May I ask when you will be leaving for Namako?"