Syfy Announces The Wil Wheaton Project

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Syfy Announces The Wil Wheaton Project

Wil Wheaton will host the weekly topical comedy show, dissecting geek trends and pop culture.

Wil Wheaton, geek icon, actor, author, blogger, and social media force, is about to add another television show to his list of accomplishments. Syfy has greenlit 12 episodes of The Wil Wheaton Project, a weekly comedy show hosted by Wheaton. The half-hour commentary on The Wil Wheaton Project will cover "the week's most popular and trending topics across sci-fi film, television and pop culture, as well as video games, viral videos and news." In addition to hosting the series, Wheaton will serve as producer and contribute to the show's writing. The series premieres on Tuesday, May 27 at 10 pm ET/PT on Syfy.

Wheaton describes the year-long process of getting the show greenlit Photoshop Wil Wheaton [http://wilwheaton.net/2014/04/the-wil-wheaton-project/] was taken the day that the pilot was filmed for The Wil Wheaton Project.

Syfy describes The Wil Wheaton Project as "a funny, fast-paced exploration and celebration of science fiction and genre entertainment." The show appears to be part of a return to a science fiction focus for the network. Wheaton says, "I really love that I get to be part of something that brings Science Fiction back to Syfy, and if I read correctly between the lines during our meetings with the Syfy executives, this is just the beginning of the network formerly known as Sci-Fi returning to its science fiction roots, which is awesome."

Wheaton currently has a recurring role on The Big Bang Theory. He also appeared in Felicia Day's web series missed a lot of great stuff [http://www.watchtheguild.com/].

Source: WilWheaton.net [http://wilwheaton.net/2014/04/the-wil-wheaton-project/]

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Uratoh said:
Wait, did SyFy actually have a good idea?
you say that as if sharknado wasn't literally the greatest idea ever.

In a more serious note, I'll definitely be there for the first episode, I've got a weak spot for Wil Weaton

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So all I'm getting from this is that this is a show that seeks to exploit "geek culture" and use it to entertain the pop culture crowd and tell them what latest geeky shirt to buy, what latest funny video they should like and comment on, and the latest AAA tripe to preorder. Oh but they have a celebrity who associates himself with "geeks" - despite only being relevant to sci-fi fans (if for some reason you actually liked Wesley Crusher) - so it's cool.

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
Pass. The last thing I need is yet another 'trending in geekdom' show that is nothing more than a bigger budget Youtube series, broadcast days after the content was relevant.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
So all I'm getting from this is that this is a show that seeks to exploit "geek culture" and use it to entertain the pop culture crowd and tell them what latest geeky shirt to buy, what latest funny video they should like and comment on, and the latest AAA tripe to preorder. Oh but they have a celebrity who associates himself with "geeks" - despite only being relevant to sci-fi fans (if for some reason you actually liked Wesley Crusher) - so it's cool.
Like him or not, the subject matter is what the show will live or die on.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Lightknight said:
Like him or not, the subject matter is what the show will live or die on.
And that's why I am avoiding the show for the most part. If it had solely focused on sci-fi news, then I wouldn't have such an aversion to it. However, the article's description of the show
"the week's most popular and trending topics across sci-fi film, television and pop culture, as well as video games, viral videos and news.
makes me believe it's just another attempt to commercialize off of the marketing and dumbing down of "geek culture" to the pop culture crowd. Not to mention it just seems like yet another soulless attempt by Wheaton to draw attention to himself as the "geek-icon" he proclaims that he is.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I have no reason to dislike Mr Wheaton; hes a successful guy, good tastes and seems pretty decent.

Theres just something about him... its hard to put a finger on it. Something about his personality that makes me grit my teeth.

I'll still likely check out the show, at least the first few episodes.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Fasckira said:
I have no reason to dislike Mr Wheaton; hes a successful guy, good tastes and seems pretty decent.

Theres just something about him... its hard to put a finger on it. Something about his personality that makes me grit my teeth.
The fact that he's probably geekier than the entirety of The Escapist combined and fiercely proud of it? I mean, the guy's had moments that made even my geeky heart go "Dear...GOD!". But then, I've had the same reaction to the Klingon Boggle scene from The Big Bang Theory.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Fasckira said:

For me, it's the way he sounds when explaining anything. It makes me feel like he's talking down to me; as if he's speaking to an idiot. To be fair though - it's very likely that he's not aware of it or that he's doing it on purpose. Plus, he's just not that funny, at least in his YouTube videos. In my opinion, of course - many of the comments say otherwise.

Besides these, though - he seems like a nice guy and someone who's genuinely excited about the topics he covers. As I said, he may not be good at sharing that same level of joy, but I don't think he's fake, as some people seem to think.

I'll still likely check out the show, at least the first few episodes.
Same here. Not really expecting much because of the reasons above, but eh - I'm not gonna lose anything by giving it a shot.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Well, I like his TableTop show on Yotube, so I think he could do a good job of hosting this kind of thing. Could be cool, though of course the danger is that since not all elements of geek culture interest me equally, some segments may end up boring me.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I love Wil and I love his Internet shows and I'm totally stoked for another thing to watch him on. I watched Star Trek and he was okay, but when I saw his keynote speech for a video games convention - wish I had the link - and heard him talk about our medium and what it was about for him - that's when I really just said "yes, this is a guy I want to see more of in our culture because he's going to do it some good."

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
sid said:
Uratoh said:

In a more serious note, I'll definitely be there for the first episode, I've got a weak spot for Wil Weaton
Im pretty sure Sharknado was from The Asylum not SyFy.

On a less serious note, I would defiantly watch a Will Weaton Geek Show by Assylum...
Im sure SyFy's production will lack cheap CGI cheesy dialog and a submarine set

sid

Jan 22, 2013
JimbobDa3rd said:
sid said:
Uratoh said:

Im pretty sure Sharknado was from The Asylum not SyFy.

On a less serious note, I would defiantly watch a Will Weaton Geek Show by Assylum...
Im sure SyFy's production will lack cheap CGI cheesy dialog and a submarine set
it was still commissioned by SyFy according to Wikipedia, it's pretty much a SyFy thing.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I'm torn. On the one hand, I like a lot of his associates and the things he has produced. On the other hand, I hate his personality and I find him to be a horrible and malicious human being when the cameras aren't rolling. I'll have to think on this. Also, SyFy really needs to take the focus away from all of these non-scripted/reality shows that they are obsessed with lately. Their best scripted shows, Being Human and Warehouse 13, are both ending this year, and they need to find some good creative talent to come up with some new scripted content.