Symantec Releases Norton 2009 Gaming Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Symantec Releases Norton 2009 Gaming Edition

Symantec [http://www.symantec.com/] has released Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition, a special version of its famous security software "that won't slow you down!"

The new Gaming Edition of Norton AntiVirus looks a lot like the old regular edition of Norton AntiVirus, but with the addition of a "gamer mode" meant to keep the software from interfering with gameplay. The program will automatically suspend updates, alerts and other background antivirus applications when the system is running in full-screen mode, all of which can also be easily toggled on and off manually, and will only perform "resource intensive" activities when the computer is idle. Even when running, the software draws minimal resources, requiring less than six megabytes of RAM and adding less than one second to boot time.

"Gamers are an extremely demanding audience that simply won't tolerate anything on their system that detracts from gameplay," said Symantec Senior Vice President Rowan Trollope. "Norton AntiVirus Gaming Edition keeps gamers protected online and runs perfectly undetected in the background, meaning no interruptions, no pop-ups, and with the same award winning zero-impact performance of our 2009 products."

It's great news, really, because this sounds like a big step forward in making antivirus software transparent and non-intrusive, just as it should be. One question, though: Why do we need a Gaming Edition? Wouldn't it be easier to just work this stuff into the standard 2009 release? It's not like they're inventing The Wheel 2.0 here; they're just making Norton AntiVirus suck less, which, while commendable, doesn't strike me as warranting a special stand-alone release. In fact, since both the standard Norton AntiVirus and the new Gaming Edition carry the same price tag, and according to Symantec they're absolutely identical except for the addition of the "gamer mode" stuff in the Gaming Edition (seriously, check it out here [http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/ContentTheme/pbPage.comparePCSecurity/ThemeID.518300]), is there any reason at all to stick with the original?

Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition (and the standard edition) are available via the Norton AntiVirus Gaming Edition [http://shop.symantecstore.com/] website.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Like all gaming editions of everything, they also appear to have added a really shitty eXXtreme! skin. Nothing says "I'm hip with today's youth" like making your product look like a WinAmp skin hosted on deviantart.

Personally, I'd love to see the 'suck less' part rolled into their corporate versions as well.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
are they actually going to detect virii and malware like every other good scanner does? symantec has a bad habit of labeling things as "trojans" and not virii so they don't have to bother cleaning it up AND on top of that you gotta pay for it annually

this version actually sounds useful but some of it could be solved easily by a simple thing as a scheduler

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Check the promotional video on the website. Hip and edgy and ironic and all the things that corporate focus groups have determined that gamers love, yet I found it vaguely insulting. Like we're too stupid to appreciate the benefits of unobtrusive virus protection without having it wrapped in some kind of post-comedy bullshit.

Just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
So they made Norton less of a resource hog? Great! Now they can work on making it a functioning product capable of competing with the free anti-virus software! Such as AVG!

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Norton Anti-virus is worse than the damned viruses it's supposedly stopping. I feel like I'm in the 'The Sopranos' every time that stupid box chimes up telling me to cough up protection money. Oh sure, they leave you alone as soon as you pay up, but after that it's 'Where's the cash? Where's the cash?'

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Stupid. They could've simply made a better version that appealed to everyone.

What's the point?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, this is called "BitDefender" and it does it automatically when you start a game. Oh, wait, sorry Symantec, that's a different company.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
HobbesMkii said:
Yes, this is called "BitDefender" and it does it automatically when you start a game. Oh, wait, sorry Symantec, that's a different company.
Exactly. I haven't used Norton since 2002 ever since I found BitDefender.

Phantom2595

Sep 28, 2008
Hmm , might as well get this version of Norton instead of the normal when my trial expires . I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I haven't had any problems with Norton , maybe it's because I'm careful and don't get viruses in the first place..

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Phantom2595 said:
Hmm , might as well get this version of Norton instead of the normal when my trial expires . I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I haven't had any problems with Norton , maybe it's because I'm careful and don't get viruses in the first place..
I dumped Norton AV because it badly slowed down my ultaportable laptop... NAV is notorious for hogging RAM and CPU cycles and can be a serious performance drag. It also used to be notoriously difficult to uninstall (the "Godfather" syndrome; every time you get out, they drag you back in with another damned process Symantec's uninstaller didn't delete) but that, at least, has gotten better.

I went with OneCare on the recommendation of some folks I know online, as it suits my general "I don't care, just make it work" attitude regarding hardware and OS stuff. It ended up being cheaper, too, because I only needed the one license for both my laptop and my desktop.)

-- Steve

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
I have conspiracy theory that virus-protection software companies make the viruses, and update the viruses to get around their program, so that the user has to keep paying money to upgrade against the new threat.

Edit: I just format my HDs once a month. Keeps it clean.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Closer, but still not the AV product I want.

What I want is a AV program with NO RESIDENT PROGRAM - at all! No background processes. None. It should only run when I boot it. I can update myself, thankyouverymuch.

No, I don't need the other bloatware, either - I've got my own spyware and adware software, I don't want yours.

Yes, I'm aware an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. However, I backup what data I consider precious onto flash drives, so on the rare chance my comp contracts a killer virus, I can scrub the disk and reinstall.

I also agree about Norton being notorious begware. Sorry, not going to cough up cash every year for you. AV's really don't amount to much besides drains on one's pocketbook - firewall's prevent 99% of all the nastiness out there anyway.

So, nice try, Norton, but you're still not getting this gamer's money.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Norton products SUCKS. Pure and simple. Way too resource hungry and does not do the job that is it is supposed to do. 99% if the time it causes even MORE problems then the virus' themselves.

heck...May as well just call Norton itself a virus. At least that would be close to the truth.

AVG all the way.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I understand the theory behind this, but the audience they're going for here is exactly the kind of audience that's computer-savvy enough to know that Symantec offers the worst* anti-virus suite on the market and they charge out the ass for it besides.

I wonder if they're really trying to market to the sorts of people who can't think of a gift for the PC gamer in their lives (because the gamer's already got all the Q4 releases that matter---no gamer worth his broadband connection would wait all the way to the end of December to play Lich King or Fallout 3) and will be snookered into thinking "he doesn't have a good anti-virus program..."

It's the same method I once suggested back in the mid-'80s to a friend of mine named Geoff Von Holten, that he form a band with his last name and sucker moms into buying albums for their Van Halen-loving kids. Who wouldn't buy "5440" by Von Holten? Anyway, I've got a good firewall and Trend Micro's antivirus and that's all I need.

*debatable; McAfee is also an acceptable answer approved by the Ohio State Board of Elections.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I would have thought that many gamers are tech savvy and therefore uninterested in products such as norton.

I use only the most basic of scans and am more than capable of removing any trojan, virus or spyware thats imbedded itself into my system, as are most gamers I know.

Windows security is competent enough to pick up the most malicious bugs around, not to mention all the free third party programs (for people with gigabyte motherboards kapersky is a good utility), and even without any form of protection surely most people know how to avoid the majority of virus's/bugs. (use firefox, do not run .exe files people send etc).

I truly cannot see how the AV industry is so big 0.0

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Gotta admit I do pay for an antivirus, NOD32, as I got it for my mother's PC as she needed something that wasn't going to slow her PC down like I'd just installed Vista onto a 386, like Norton, and wasn't gonna keep popping up windows asking 'should I allow this?' which would have her calling me.

NOD32 may cost a little, but it installs and then leaves you the hell alone until 11 months later when it gives you a nudge to renew.

When this happened I took up the cheap renew offer and added a licence for myself.

Sure it's a 100% more expensive than a free one, but call me a sucker for marketing, I still feel safer paying for one than using a free one, and at least NOD has a stain free record and doesn't screw with my PC.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Malygris said:
runs perfectly undetected in the background, meaning no interruptions, no pop-ups, and with the same award winning zero-impact performance of our 2009 products."
does that mean it still has the same works until something goes wrong technique?