Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Turns Up the Heat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Syndicate Gameplay Trailer Turns Up the Heat

Based on the look of this hot, hot, HOT gameplay trailer, the new Syndicate might not suck after all.

Okay, I'll admit it. I was disappointed when I found out that the long-awaited new Syndicate [http://www.amazon.com/Syndicate-Pc/dp/B0050SZ2EQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317309969&sr=8-2], dammit! It was tons of fun, intense, original and anyway, aren't we up to our eyeballs in "visceral shooters" already?

But this trailer looks good. Really good. The fast cuts and fantastic music [love that classic Syndicate beat] obviously drive the impact, but after seeing this I don't think anyone can deny that Starbreeze may very well have another winner on its hands. And is that Brian Cox we hear narrating at the start? Sweet icing on the cake if it is.

Disappointment is out, anticipation is in and fingers are crossed. The suddenly awesome-looking Syndicate is due out on February 12, 2012, for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ok, that was cool.

I still don't think they should call it Syndicate, but the trailer is promising and manages not to look like a Deus Ex:HR ripoff. But I'll go with cautiously optimistic.

The new XCOM is still a sin against god though...

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
Ser Imp said:
Was I just put through the Persuadertron?
Not even out of bed and off to work, and am already laughing.

OT:

So.... I will just toss out what 95% us are thinking......

That looks an awful lot like Deus Ex: HR (the dude even has a trench coat). I have read that this game is supposed to have AI though.
Oh, sorry I guess I mean better AI, from what I have read they are trying to create a very intelligent AI system that can out think you. The problem is that it is just a shooter, a game like Deus Ex HR could have made better use of strong AI.

Isn't it amazing how much I can judge a game from a single preview and a 2 minute, but really awesome, trailer.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
For me the good thing about Syndicate was the setting, not the type of game. Cyberpunk, dark future, evil corporation, augmented agents and not to forget the Persuadetron. I have no problem with a first person syndicate game, as long as it is good.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
This looks like your average shooter. Fancy Bodycount with some techno mambo-jumbo, I say.

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
basm321 said:
Ser Imp said:
Was I just put through the Persuadertron?
That looks an awful lot like Deus Ex: HR (the dude even has a trench coat).
Syndicate has trench coats LONG before deus ex. It wouldn't BE syndicate without trench coats.

I was just persuaded. That was a fantastic trailer. Seeing persuadatron at work, flamer in action and it really looks like they got the setting right.
Looks fantastic.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Zanez said:
basm321 said:
That looks an awful lot like Deus Ex: HR (the dude even has a trench coat).
Syndicate has trench coats LONG before deus ex. It wouldn't BE syndicate without trench coats.
True.

That said, it still looks as if Deus Ex had a bastard child with Modern Warfare. (Which isn't inherently bad, of course.)

wolfister

Oct 20, 2008
All I can think of is Deus Ex: HR with a cyan tint instead of orange. Yes it looks very cool but still it really should not be called Syndicate.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
I am psyched for this, I didn't really like the gameplay in the original syndicate (never have liked iso games) but I loved the story. So this is pretty much the syndicate game I wanted originally.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
of course it probably won't suck, it's by Starbreeze for crying out loud. These guys know how to make smart, tightly-designed first-person titles.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
I really doubt this game started out as a Syndicate game. EA just owns the name (after destroying Bullfrog, the original makers)and decided to add some nostalgia value to an average "non-call-of-duty" shooter. I say, let it drown in it's own puss. BTW, this will not be something similar to the Fallout going fps. This is just an attempt for a quick cash'n'grab'n'move-on.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
I never decried the fact that we will have a Syndicate-themed shooter, nor did I believe it would be a bad game. My disappointment (in as much as I am ever disappointed by something as trivial as upcoming computer games) is grounded in the fact that we will not get another game in a gameplay style similar to the original Syndicate.

So, that disappointment can still persist even though this game might look promising. The original post reads as if the writer can only exist in an either disappointed or anticipated state ;-)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I never played the original Syndicate games, but I felt for the fans when they announced a 'reboot' that seems to ignore what made the old Syndicate games, well, Syndicate. Same thing for X-Com.

However, I love this trailer. I really, really do.
Ayjona said:
My disappointment (in as much as I am ever disappointed by something as trivial as upcoming computer games) is grounded in the fact that we will not get another game in a gameplay style similar to the original Syndicate.
Except that, you know, we will. [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/paradox-announce-cartel-interview/]

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I still dunno. It looks like the Agent is an actual character.

I dunno how a guy who has no self determination, is being remote controlled by someone else and is entirely disposable and replaceable would be a good choice as protagonist.

In an intellectual book or film there is plenty of meat there to chew on but, I don't think Syndicate is going to be about this kidnapped man's terror at what he's being forced to do...

Edit: Stupidly I didn't clock that the Agent->Controller relationship is very much like the character->player relationship. So, exploring that could be fun.

But, my main point is that it doesn't look like the controller, the actual person who is hired/employed to do the job, is even in the game at all.

Apr 28, 2008
Wait, Starbreeze is developing this?

Like, developer of The Darkness Sarbreeze?

My interest has been piqued.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Ayjona said:
My disappointment (in as much as I am ever disappointed by something as trivial as upcoming computer games) is grounded in the fact that we will not get another game in a gameplay style similar to the original Syndicate.
Except that, you know, we will. [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/paradox-announce-cartel-interview/]
Right, we actually will! Thanks fer reminding me! ;-)