Syndicate's use of a dubstep artist

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Good god, I hope not. Dubstep is easily one of the worst things I've heard in the past few years, and I normally like drum&bass (Pendulum is one of the main things on my MP3 player). If game developers actually start putting it into games I'll have to start modding sound files to avoid poking my ears out...

fudgemonkey118

Apr 2, 2010
The AC:B trailer used that awesome 'Genesis'song by Justice, that was the first time I noticed any kind of electronic music in gaming, but I thought the Skrillex song fit the advert really well

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Jandau said:
Good god, I hope not. Dubstep is easily one of the worst things I've heard in the past few years, and I normally like drum&bass (Pendulum is one of the main things on my MP3 player). If game developers actually start putting it into games I'll have to start modding sound files to avoid poking my ears out...
What dubstep have you listened to?

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I dont know man, it just hurts be deep down when I have a conversation that goes along the lines of:

"So, what music do you listen to?"
"Bit of this, bit of that... Bit of death metal, bit of rock, bit of Aphex Twin (I do not for the life of me know what genre he fits into), bit of dubstep.."
"Oh, dubstep eh? Skrillex is the bomb."
Well I'm mostly a metalhead but the only dubstep artists I really listen to are Burial, Swarms, Clubroot and Submotion Orchestra.

Do you know the origins of dubstep? Or rather, brostep? Its drum and bass, slowed down by about 50%. That is literally it. Those "whale noises", for lack of a better term, can be found on any old DnB record. All Skrillex and Nero or whatever bro-step artist you can think of did is take these noises and pull them to the forefront. Dont believe me? Go on youtube and find a channel that uploads old DnB. Then go and look for UFKs channel, listen to any old dubstep song, and you will see what I mean.

Long before this shit started, actual dubstep was on the rise. And it originates from UK Garage. And up until a few years ago, you couldnt find any whale noises or wubs in a dubstep song no matter how hard you looked. The only thing these two genres have in common is that they are electronic. Their origins are different, and what they grew to be are different. And not to be blasphemous, but if your electronic Jesus says otherwise, hes probably wrong, no matter what reputation he has on some obscure forum dedicated to electronic music.
I didn't say anything specifically about the wub.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Dubstep is the worst abortion of sound to ever exist and I hope it dies off very soon.
This. Oh so much this.

On a related note, Syndicate is NOT the only victim of this trend right now -

Yes Gentlemen, a Fantasy Steampunk Hack & Slash got the Dubstep treatment. You may now rage away.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Didn't Uncharted 3 use Skrillex much earlier?

But well-made dubstep is good in my eyes, so I am okay with this.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
christ, I'd go insane if I had to play with that noise in my ears... and it doesn't really fit at all. electronic, yes. but it appears to be a game about corporations fighting a secret war through agents who infiltrate the enemy's headquarters, with some sort of stealthy brain control going on... so of course they make a trailer with a beat as subtle as a rhino with ADD...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
AnarchistFish said:
Jandau said:
No, not doing that talk again. Every time people start talking about dubstep and I mention I don't like it, someone asks "What did you listen to?". Then they proceed to list their own favourite dubstep artists, I go check a few songs on Youtube and my ears bleed some more. The only dubstep I can stand is basically d&b that people call dubstep for some reason. The things that seem to be distinctive elements of dubstep just rub me the wrong way (the constanly changing and inconsistent rythm, that annoying "wub wub wub" sound, the overly synthetic sound pallete, etc.).

People can listen to what they want, I just don't like it and for my own sake hope it never catches on in any aspect of my life (like, say, gaming)...

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
Jandau said:

I dont know man, it just hurts be deep down when I have a conversation that goes along the lines of:

"Bit of this, bit of that... Bit of death metal, bit of rock, bit of Aphex Twin (I do not for the life of me know what genre he fits into), bit of dubstep.."
Well I'm mostly a metalhead but the only dubstep artists I really listen to are Burial, Swarms, Clubroot and Submotion Orchestra.

Do you know the origins of dubstep? Or rather, brostep? Its drum and bass, slowed down by about 50%. That is literally it. Those "whale noises", for lack of a better term, can be found on any old DnB record. All Skrillex and Nero or whatever bro-step artist you can think of did is take these noises and pull them to the forefront. Dont believe me? Go on youtube and find a channel that uploads old DnB. Then go and look for UFKs channel, listen to any old dubstep song, and you will see what I mean.

Long before this shit started, actual dubstep was on the rise. And it originates from UK Garage. And up until a few years ago, you couldnt find any whale noises or wubs in a dubstep song no matter how hard you looked. The only thing these two genres have in common is that they are electronic. Their origins are different, and what they grew to be are different. And not to be blasphemous, but if your electronic Jesus says otherwise, hes probably wrong, no matter what reputation he has on some obscure forum dedicated to electronic music.
I said something that can be summarized as "Skrillex is not dubstep".

You asked me to explain why. I did. Whats the problem?
I'm not sure. I don't know much about the genre but I feel there's more to it than "slowed down DnB".

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Jandau said:
AnarchistFish said:
Jandau said:
No, not doing that talk again. Every time people start talking about dubstep and I mention I don't like it, someone asks "What did you listen to?". Then they proceed to list their own favourite dubstep artists, I go check a few songs on Youtube and my ears bleed some more. The only dubstep I can stand is basically d&b that people call dubstep for some reason. The things that seem to be distinctive elements of dubstep just rub me the wrong way (the constanly changing and inconsistent rythm, that annoying "wub wub wub" sound, the overly synthetic sound pallete, etc.).

People can listen to what they want, I just don't like it and for my own sake hope it never catches on in any aspect of my life (like, say, gaming)...
My point is proven.

Warwolt

May 23, 2009
AC10 said:
DarthRiko said:
Likewise, techno came about and got somewhat popular. Now later, dubstep is gaining popularity, and it is pretty much the hardcore sub-genre of techno.
Firstly, no it's not. Dubstep isn't even a subgenre of Techno, it's a subgenre of Electronica and evolved from breaks. Techno is not Electronica. Techno is not Electronic Dance Music. By calling all Electronic music Techno it's like saying The Beatles were Bay Area Thrash Metal. It's a categorically incorrect statement.
Excuse me mister, but Chicago House and Detroit Techno INVENTED Electronic Dance Music.

Sep 14, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Why would you call Skrillex a dubstep artist. Why.

It hurts me when you do that. Each time I read the words "Skrillex is a dubstep artist" a part of me dies. Painfully.

:(
skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist,skrillex is a dubstep artist

u mad?

really though, i don't see the point in getting worked up over something so trivial, and who cares how the music is made, if it sounds good to people then who cares

Makes me a sad, sad panda. Nothing against Skrillex, but hes pretty untalented, something he admits to himself, and it just sucks to see the genre that has such amazing artists tied to it being linked to Skrillex and only Skrillex most of the time. Sucks. Hard. You gotta hand one thing to the guy though, his live shows are fucking insane.
they probably are just trying to make some connection, i somewhat do that with someone new i meet just to see what similarities we have. and yeah if you want to get really technical about it i wouldn't label skrillex in dubstep, but a majority of the world does, and it doesn't effect me in the slightest so i just go on not giving a single molecule of fuck.

and fair enough, just try to be optimistic about it rather than pessimistic, if you introduce people to stuff that meets halfway, they might like it and there you go, everyone is in harmony, mann.

i actually haven't seen his shows, but hey as long he doesn't go appling around saying "BWAH I'M THE BEST, I MADE DUBSTEP WHAT IT IS, ONLY LISTEN TO MEEEEE" then i'd probably approve of it.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
AnarchistFish said:
Jandau said:

I said something that can be summarized as "Skrillex is not dubstep".

You asked me to explain why. I did. Whats the problem?
I'm not sure. I don't know much about the genre but I feel there's more to it than "slowed down DnB".
Not to bro-step. Im sorry, but what you feel like is irrelevant. I could feel like the earth is flat, that doesnt make the earth flat.

Why dont you run it around that electronic Jesus of yours and see what he says? If its the only thing that can convince you to change your opinion, I suggest you do it.
Dude he's scary I don't wanna do that.

He gets pissed off with people who use the term "electronica"

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Warwolt said:
AC10 said:
DarthRiko said:
Likewise, techno came about and got somewhat popular. Now later, dubstep is gaining popularity, and it is pretty much the hardcore sub-genre of techno.
Firstly, no it's not. Dubstep isn't even a subgenre of Techno, it's a subgenre of Electronica and evolved from breaks. Techno is not Electronica. Techno is not Electronic Dance Music. By calling all Electronic music Techno it's like saying The Beatles were Bay Area Thrash Metal. It's a categorically incorrect statement.
Excuse me mister, but Chicago House and Detroit Techno INVENTED Electronic Dance Music.
And those are both evolutions of Disco, how far back do you want to go, exactly? Should we say Popcorn invented the whole thing? Should we ignore the contributions from the early bronx DJ's like grandmaster flash? You can't point to Detroit Techno or Chicago House and say "this is where it all began". Why ignore everything happening in Europe in the late 70s / early 80s with synths, like Duran Duran?

Regardless of these genre's impact in EDM and shaping of rave cultrue, my statement is still entirely true; Dubstep is not a sub-genre of Techno because Techno is now it's own genre under the large umbrella of Electronica, and it's been that way since the late 80's/early 90's.

For instance, what is Elvis Presley? An obvious forerunner in rock and roll culture along with Chuck Berry. At the time, everything he did was just Rock and Roll, even though now a lot of his songs are under the genre sub-genre rockabilly. As the genres expand (and Electronica has certainly expanded) things get re-categorized by necessity.