System Shock Remaster Hits Kickstarter Goal

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
System Shock Remaster Hits Kickstarter Goal

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335346.jpg
The System Shock remaster has raised the requested $900,000.

If Bioshock was too far removed from its "spiritual predecessor" System Shock for your tastes, you are probably interested in the System Shock remaster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167449-System-Shock-Remaster-Coming-to-Kickstarter-Next-Month] from Nightdrive Studios that hit Kickstarter this month. Well, all you old-school shooter fans will be pleased to know that the project has hit its $900,000 funding goal, which means it will be making its way to a PC or Xbox One near you some time in the future.

"Thank you, backers! System Shock is coming back!" announced the official Nightdrive Studio's Twitter [https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/751774561461428224/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]. The "remaster" will actually be a complete remake of the game from the ground up using the Unity engine, and is currently slated for release on PC and Xbox One in December, 2017.

"There's no possible way I could convey how grateful the Nightdive team is to the 14,000+ backers who put their trust in us - we're having a lot of fun remaking System Shock and we owe it all to you!" added Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive Studios.

Be sure to check out the game's Kickstarter page [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock] for more info and updates on the project.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1625954]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I funded it, and I'm excited for it.

Now, let's see how many stretch goals we can get.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So...is it System Shock 1 or 2? Cause it seems most people when referring to the series mostly refer to 2, so if a lot of people are expecting SS2 and not SS1, they may be getting an unexpected outcome.

Kind of like when people refer to Duke Nukem. They usually mean Duke Nukem 3D, aka Duke Nukem 3, not the side scrolling platformer that 1 and 2 were.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Saelune said:
So...is it System Shock 1 or 2? Cause it seems most people when referring to the series mostly refer to 2, so if a lot of people are expecting SS2 and not SS1, they may be getting an unexpected outcome.

Kind of like when people refer to Duke Nukem. They usually mean Duke Nukem 3D, aka Duke Nukem 3, not the side scrolling platformer that 1 and 2 were.
It seems to be a remake of the first one, with both being set aboard Citadel Station.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Saelune said:

I think most people backing would be aware that it's a remake of the first one. Which I never played, but it seems generally people think it had a better story overall, and was more interesting. It just had a godawful control scheme and the graphics didn't age that well. I could be wrong, but that's what I usually see posted.

So I'm glad it's getting a remake, System Shock 2, with a little work still works on modern PC's, and while it's getting dated as well, a remake of the first is more exciting. At least to me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vern said:
Saelune said:

I think most people backing would be aware that it's a remake of the first one. Which I never played, but it seems generally people think it had a better story overall, and was more interesting. It just had a godawful control scheme and the graphics didn't age that well. I could be wrong, but that's what I usually see posted.

So I'm glad it's getting a remake, System Shock 2, with a little work still works on modern PC's, and while it's getting dated as well, a remake of the first is more exciting. At least to me.
I haven't played either. I have 2 on GoG cause...it was free, but I'm the type who wants to play the first before the second. Depending on how "definitive" this is, I might just get this instead, but I will wait and see.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I played the demo and for pre-alpha it's amazingly well done. I only played a bit of the second game and this is my first experience with the first one and while the combat system is a little clunky (first person melee seldom being done well, we all remember Oblivion) but other than that it's got everything you could want. Atmospheric, beautiful graphics even if it defaulted to I think 800x640. The mutants are creepy, animations solid, and hopefully it will only get better.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
erttheking said:
Saelune said:

It seems to be a remake of the first one, with both being set aboard Citadel Station.
This is Going to be Mighty #9 all over again. Does anyone remember why most people think of SS2 when you say System Shock, it's because very few people played the first one and even fewer people liked it.. IT was not a good game. And if they're remaking 2, at this point it would make no sense. That sort of thing ghas been done to death and beyond already.

Seriously now, can we look at some of the Games NightDive has to its credit and consider for a moment how well this is likely to turn out?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Saelune said:
So...is it System Shock 1 or 2?
It's specifically SS1.

If anyone bemoans that SS1 and not SS2 got remade, that would make the a very special snowflake indeed.

I'm looking forward to this, SS1 is a really good game, but is so counter-intuitive that you spend the first third of it re-learning the controls, every, damn, time. Hopefully they'll have a good amount of discipline when it comes to spending, the demo was really good.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Vern said:
Saelune said:

The setting was fantastic. I spent a lot of time wishing I could have visited Citadel Station before everything went wrong.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
There's 0 chance this is coming ot consoles, right? I loved the originals, but right now, console gaming is all I can manage.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
L34dP1LL said:
There's 0 chance this is coming ot consoles, right? I loved the originals, but right now, console gaming is all I can manage.
Initial plans are for a PC and Xboxone release. Stretch goal is for an OSX and Linux release. No mention of PS4 right now.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Vern said:
Initial plans are for a PC and Xboxone release. Stretch goal is for an OSX and Linux release. No mention of PS4 right now.
That's too bad, I'd love a PS4 release later on. That said, I'm not surprised. The Bethesda console mods saga has taught us that Sony's coding solutions are made for Special Snowflakes, so Night Dive might want to focus on platforms that are at least recognizable in terms of programming environments.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MonsterCrit said:
erttheking said:
Saelune said:

This is Going to be Mighty #9 all over again. Does anyone remember why most people think of SS2 when you say System Shock, it's because very few people played the first one and even fewer people liked it.. IT was not a good game. And if they're remaking 2, at this point it would make no sense. That sort of thing ghas been done to death and beyond already.
I wouldn't mind an official SS2 HD remake, mods notwithstanding. Graphically it has aged pretty poorly.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
MonsterCrit said:
erttheking said:
Saelune said:

I wouldn't mind an official SS2 HD remake, mods notwithstanding. Graphically it has aged pretty poorly.
All games that bank on graphical fidelity age poorly. It's a drawback of the aesthetic. Stylized Aesthetics age much better.