Taco Bell Hides Atari Games in the Burritos

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Taco Bell Hides Atari Games in the Burritos

Nostalgia will always keep classic videogames in our hearts, but now they'll be close to our stomachs too thanks to a new promotion rolling out at Taco Bell.

Chowing down on a beefy 5-layer burrito shouldn't be the only thing on your mind if visiting a Taco Bell in the near future. Apparently, the fast-food chain has a new ongoing promotion where free classic Atari games are being given away with the purchase of a meal, and also sold separately for $1.50.

Though the promotion doesn't seem to be active at every Bell quite yet, it should be hitting most of the burrito emporiums eventually. Atari classics available are Breakout, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, and Centipede. Some have reported Super Breakout as one of the titles, but apparently this is a marketing error according to co-creator Curt Vendel's post on the AtariAge Forums.

Each game has both a classic and enhanced mode, with three levels of difficulty: beginner (made for young children as required by Taco Bell), medium which is arcade accurate, and expert for a greater challenge. The Flash-based games work on both PC and Mac and include all original gameplay mechanics, though Lunar Lander actually features an extra stage where the ship docks with a command module.

For $1.50 these are a pretty easy purchase, considering how some go for $5 on services like Xbox Live Arcade. At the least, you could convince your kid to eat a gas-inducing meal and reap the reward of the included Atari game. Plus, the Macintosh can use any new release it can get, even if these are 30-year-old games.

(Via: Retroist [http://www.retroist.com/2010/03/03/taco-bell-to-offer-atari-2600-games-for-mac-and-pc/])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
So thats where all the ET copies went!

Calumon: Awww, you spoiled their hiding spot. Hide and seek is ruined...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Reminds me of the Burger King games being sold at its restaurants.

I guess I have to wait for the one near my house to start doing that. Who can say no to a free game with a purchase of a meal?

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
So they're giving crap away so I'll have something to play when their food gives me diarrhea?
...Makes sense.

Just kidding I love Taco Bell.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
If they have Kaboom and Warlords....then i will gladly buy burritos and tacos risking clogged toilets everywhere

Tempest Fox

Oct 18, 2008
Oh, how I love the way my mind works sometimes... I just saw someone biting into a burrito or a chalupa, and then they bite into an Atari cartridge that was put in to the food. I worry about my mind sometimes...

OT: I'm not terribly sure how good/bad I feel about it, at least as far as the internet goes and accessing flash-based games like that, but at as cheap of a price as they're being offered, it doesn't seem AS bad. I frequent Taco Bell anyway, so I may very well check it out.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
I don't understand how these are being packaged. Is it a code & URL? It's not like there's a CD in the wrapper or anything like that, right? Scratch card?

Guess I'll have to hit up my local Taco Bell tomorrow to see if they've got the promo running or find out when it'll start. Be cool to collect 'em all. I missed out on the BK Xbox games (didn't have an Xbox at the time, didn't see the point in buying them...regret it now.)

EDIT: I checked the link posted for Retroist and there's a pic of the packaging, CDs packed in with Kids Meals (which is important to know and not mentioned above.)

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Like I needed another excuse to go back there and scarf down a volcano burrito. But I don't have any kids I can bring with me to be able to get a kids meal. Guess I'll have to borrow one from my co-workers.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I must have a stomach of iron, because I've never encountered gastronomic adventures upon consuming everything behind the Taco Bell counter. Out of my group of friends, I'm probably one of the only two or three that doesn't ***** every time we choose to eat there.

Then again, how can you *****? THEY HAVE BAJA BLAST!

If I could, I would just load up the fountain to a needle and have that shit injected directly into my goddamn eyes. Even people who hate Mountain Dew would pour Baja Blast all over their body like it was a fucking Herbal Essences commercial.

MartyGoldberg

Aug 20, 2009
These are not 2600 games, they're based off the arcade versions. And the reason they're not at all the stores yet is because it wasn't supposed to come out until April. Some of the stores jumped the gun.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Shockolate said:
So they're giving crap away so I'll have something to play when their food gives me diarrhea?
...Makes sense.

Just kidding I love Taco Bell.
yeah with their plastic smelling taco's and tasteless frozen cheese...

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Scrythe said:
I must have a stomach of iron, because I've never encountered gastronomic adventures upon consuming everything behind the Taco Bell counter. Out of my group of friends, I'm probably one of the only two or three that doesn't ***** every time we choose to eat there.

Then again, how can you *****? THEY HAVE BAJA BLAST!

If I could, I would just load up the fountain to a needle and have that shit injected directly into my goddamn eyes. Even people who hate Mountain Dew would pour Baja Blast all over their body like it was a fucking Herbal Essences commercial.

I've never had it, but I certainly want to now.

Dave Sierra

May 23, 2010
"but apparently this is a marketing error according to co-creator Curt Vendel"

Everything Curt Vendel ends up being involved with is an error of one sort or another. He's a bum. This is the same guy who has repeatedly bad-mouthed Nolan Bushnell.