Taco News - Cuphead Developer Calls Journalists Wimps

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Taco News - Cuphead Developer Calls Journalists Wimps

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1425/1425910.jpgWhile the success of the indie game Cuphead has been the talk of many gaming sites, the controversy before launch stole most of the spotlight. It was apparent to everyone that articles demanding the game become easier would follow when when Dean Takahashi, a GamesBeat reporter, showed gameplay that was reported as 'cancerous.' While the studio has remained silent regarding this, one of the developers has been recently critical of the whole ordeal.

"If you're too much of a wimp to handle running and shooting at the same time, you need to get the hell out of the gaming industry. I don't mind people not liking this kind of game but to actually argue to skip content because you don't like it is another thing entirely. Go back to playing Casualbourne, real men play Contra while shotgunning a beer," said Chad "The Bull" Moldenhauer, co-founder of Studio MDHR.

Moldenhauer also talked about his opinions of the gaming media at large.

"Gaming journalists are the lowest of the low. They'll complain about how you are objectifying women," he said, setting his Pabst Blue Ribbon on to an end table shaped like Tracer's posterior, "they only get this way because they crave attention from real news sites. If I see someone writes or works with a gaming press outlet, I automatically think lesser of their opinion." Behind him on the wall, a framed 10 / 10 review for Cuphead rests regally above his stuffed moose head.

"I find that the real irony is that these people want diversity in games but don't have diversity in their own ranks. Look at how many of them are white college-educated liberals who want to live in the city; you can't." The sound of a siren passing in the crowded street below echoes its way into his penthouse apartment. "Now go ahead and fill my Twitter and email inbox with how much of a Nazi alt-right white guy who hates everyone with more melanin than him," said Moldenhauer.

After seeing that our main writer and game reviewer scored Cuphead the 10/10 score, he invited him to his house later to read Twitter responses and chill. This reporter hopes he looks at me with those beautiful eyes and then whip out his controller to play Cuphead co-op.

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
This is not "satire." This is lies. This is clickbait. This is irresponsible. This devalues the Escapist as a news source.

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
lacktheknack said:
But really, it's labeled "Taco News". What else do you want?
I want to not have to know the current community jargon to be able to tell whether I am being lied to. I have never encountered the phrase "Taco News" before, and I've been an Escapist reader longer than PsychicTaco115 has existed as an account. "Taco News" still says "News" and in fact the only explicit indication that this entire story is made up is the small "SATIRE" tag bundled in with the other tags at the end.

Does this really not seem like a problem?

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Doctor Professor said:
lacktheknack said:
I want to not have to know the current community jargon to be able to tell whether I am being lied to. I have never encountered the phrase "Taco News" before, and I've been an Escapist reader longer than PsychicTaco115 has existed as an account. "Taco News" still says "News" and in fact the only explicit indication that this entire story is made up is the small "SATIRE" tag bundled in with the other tags at the end.

If someone can't tell it's satire I think that's on them. It should be blindingly obvious by the end of the second paragraph, if the title hasn't already tipped them off.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Doctor Professor said:
lacktheknack said:
I want to not have to know the current community jargon to be able to tell whether I am being lied to. I have never encountered the phrase "Taco News" before, and I've been an Escapist reader longer than PsychicTaco115 has existed as an account.

And you've managed to miss Taco News for this long? It's been a forum thing for YEARS.

"Taco News" still says "News" and in fact the only explicit indication that this entire story is made up is the small "SATIRE" tag bundled in with the other tags at the end.

I mean, there's also this line.

Behind him on the wall, a framed 10 / 10 review for Cuphead rests regally above his stuffed moose head.

And this one.

The sound of a siren passing in the crowded street below echoes its way into his penthouse apartment

And this one.

This reporter hopes he looks at me with those beautiful eyes and then whip out his controller to play Cuphead co-op.

But hey, who actually reads the article anyways? Half the fun of satire is watching people fall for it anyways.

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
Fat Hippo said:
If someone can't tell it's satire I think that's on them. It should be blindingly obvious by the end of the second paragraph, if the title hasn't already tipped them off.
If a trusted source lies to you, even if you probably should be able to figure it out, I don't think it's your fault if you don't.

lacktheknack said:
Half the fun of satire is watching people fall for it anyways.
I don't think "actively misleads some percentage of its readers" is a good thing for a news site.

Obviously I figured out this post wasn't true, or I wouldn't have responded in the way I did. That is 100% not the point. I saw an interesting headline in my RSS feed, so I clicked in, read a bit, thought "Wow, this guy is terrible," and then realized it was getting too extreme. I then had to hunt around to find the word "Satire" to confirm it wasn't true.

I was deceived (even if not for long), my time was wasted, and my emotions were manipulated in a way that profits the Escapist (they got my click and now they're getting our forum traffic). That's a REALLY DANGEROUS slope for a news site to start down. Knowing that the Escapist is a place where this happens makes me trust the Escapist less.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Doctor Professor said:
I don't think "actively misleads some percentage of its readers" is a good thing for a news site.

Obviously I figured out this post wasn't true, or I wouldn't have responded in the way I did. That is 100% not the point. I saw an interesting headline in my RSS feed, so I clicked in, read a bit, thought "Wow, this guy is terrible," and then realized it was getting too extreme. I then had to hunt around to find the word "Satire" to confirm it wasn't true.

I was deceived (even if not for long), my time was wasted, and my emotions were manipulated in a way that profits the Escapist (they got my click and now they're getting our forum traffic). That's a REALLY DANGEROUS slope for a news site to start down. Knowing that the Escapist is a place where this happens makes me trust the Escapist less.
Ah well, it'll all be water under the bridge when The Escapist collapses for other reasons anyhow.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
The only thing about this article I found surprising is that it's actually far more honest and accurately portrays game journalists despite being obvious satire. And deep down, part of me wishes that more devs had that over-the-top no shits given attitude.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Go back to playing Casualbourne, real men play Contra while shotgunning a beer.
After seeing that our main writer and game reviewer scored Cuphead the 10/10 score, he invited him to his house later to read Twitter responses and chill. This reporter hopes he looks at me with those beautiful eyes and then whip out his controller to play Cuphead co-op.
Gold.

Doctor Professor said:

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Ah, Taco News.

The only fake news that lets new that actually admits it's fake new...

Besides the Onion.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Doctor Professor said:
This is not "satire." This is lies. This is clickbait. This is irresponsible. This devalues the Escapist as a news source.
I agree. This isn't satire. It's a completely legitimate news story. Everything in it is factually accurate.

guises

Oct 18, 2017
lacktheknack said:
And you've managed to miss Taco News for this long? It's been a forum thing for YEARS.
Irrelevant if you don't read the forums, I've been reading the Escapist for years and never heard of this. First time I've ever had reason to comment.

In fact, I thought this was serious until I came into this thread, wondering what peoples' reactions would be.

Satire is fine, but if you're going to mix satirical news with real news then you need to label them more clearly than using some forum in-joke. Good satire, after all, is not always obvious.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
LysanderNemoinis said:
The only thing about this article I found surprising is that it's actually far more honest and accurately portrays game journalists despite being obvious satire. And deep down, part of me wishes that more devs had that over-the-top no shits given attitude.
Saltyk said:
I agree. This isn't satire. It's a completely legitimate news story. Everything in it is factually accurate.
This honestly. I came here to post something of the same. Is there a word for when post-ironic satire laps around to being accurate and true?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Fat Hippo said:
Doctor Professor said:
lacktheknack said:

Except its not on them, its on The Escapist and its on Taco. The least offensive so far is just the Apple iPhone one cause it immediately reads as absurd and comical. The others? Nope. A developer shit talking a journalist? Thats a very real and plausible thing, just ask Jim Sterling.

Taco News has no place as being called actual fucking news cause guess what! Its under the "News" section. Stop blaming others for what is not their fault.