Take a Look at What Lies Ahead in Diablo III's Patch 2.1.2

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Take a Look at What Lies Ahead in Diablo III's Patch 2.1.2

Finally, lead designer Kevin Martens talked about new legendary items, called Ancients. These are a new tier of Legendaries that provide up to a 30 percent boost in stats and abilities. They will be available in Torment level as well.

He also showed off a bit of a new zone, the Ruins of Sechseron. Diablo 2 players will remember it as the home of the Barbarians before Baal got a hold of it. The new zone is full of traps and has a very "melancholy" feel to it, Martens said.

In addition, he showed off three new monsters: The swarming Naja Beetle with fire spit attacks; Frost Maggots that have low hit points, but can freeze you in place for a short time; and Glowing Death, an aggressive flying insect modeled after the desert sand wasps.

He also unveiled a new rift guardian called the Rat King, describing it as "the most disgusting thing we have done." Rats pop out of holes in the Rat King's back, and all attacks -- such as the rat tornado -- are rat based. When you kill it, it explodes in a shower of ... you guessed it, rats! "That's how rats are born in Sanctuary," he said.

The timeline for these changes will have Treasure goblins, season 2 items, all conquest, adventure mode improvements, and new Legendaries coming in patch 2.1.2. The new monsters, the Ruins of Sescheron zone and more new Legendaries will be coming in a future patch.

[gallery=3480]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
At the risk of coming off like a broken record, I'm still waiting for the magic words "...and is now playable offline."

I don't really ever expect to hear them, but it's honestly the only new feature I want from this game.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Callate said:
At the risk of coming off like a broken record, I'm still waiting for the magic words "...and is now playable offline."

I don't really ever expect to hear them, but it's honestly the only new feature I want from this game.
You best not say that kind of thing 'round 'dese parts, stranger. 'Dat ol' dirty Bogos Steve gon' tell you how 'tis and you won' like it, y'hear?

You run along now 'fore some harm comes yer way.

(<3)

KaiUno

Dec 12, 2009
Callate said:

Do I detect a hint of "melacholy"?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Callate said:

Yup. That's the only feature that would convince me to buy the game, and the feature that would guarantee that I would. Till then, Blizzard remains a non-factor in my gaming life.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Callate said:

Same here. Make it like star craft at the very least....

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
The 2 new gems are good and all, but what about a fire and cold gem? All the other elements are there except those two.

As for everybody that asks for offline mode, I don't get it. I cannot remember even once saying to myself "I wish I could play by myself offline". The single player experience is never anything I dreamed of with Diablo. I however would have loved for more then 3 of my friends in game with me. 5 total seemed like a good number to me. Also give the player the ability to turn off everybody else particle effects. Stash...each character should have their own stash and 1 tab for shared. As it is now I have to throw away a lot of what I find just due to space alone. Quality of life additions I guess are what lack the most in D3.

Overall a let down for the future of D3 for me personally. But hopefully this is just the first patch of many and we could receive some quality of life additions at some point.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
XenoScifi said:
The 2 new gems are good and all, but what about a fire and cold gem? All the other elements are there except those two.
Arcane would be nice too, if any element could use some love it should be seemingly long forgotten arcane. I know it's wizard-specific but hopefully a future class can use it too. On the other hand fire and cold are quite possibly the 2 most popular elements so I can see why they didn't get a gem yet(mainly because they don't need it). Of course they should all get one at some point, hopefully next patch.

More on topic it's good to hear that they're working on making grifts better, nothing like walking through halls of dead space while looking at the clock run down. Goblins are a nice bonus but nothing to get excited about. Some of the season 2 stuff looks cool. New leg gems sound great, definitely nice to have some defensive options when all the other gems are all offense-based. Ancient will obviously be game changing but 5-10% chance of being the specific legendary you want along with hoping it doesn't roll badly, ugh. Can't imagine how POed I'm going to be get to my first crap ancient, hopefully that'll be balanced out by the joy if I ever get a good one.

Supposedly there's more news coming today so here's hoping for more cool things to look forward to.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
XenoScifi said:

As for everybody that asks for offline mode, I don't get it. I cannot remember even once saying to myself "I wish I could play by myself offline". The single player experience is never anything I dreamed of with Diablo. I however would have loved for more then 3 of my friends in game with me. 5 total seemed like a good number to me. Also give the player the ability to turn off everybody else particle effects. Stash...each character should have their own stash and 1 tab for shared. As it is now I have to throw away a lot of what I find just due to space alone. Quality of life additions I guess are what lack the most in D3.

Overall a let down for the future of D3 for me personally. But hopefully this is just the first patch of many and we could receive some quality of life additions at some point.
What don't you get? That other people want different things than you, or that playing a game single player is objectively better when all the resources involved are on hard disk rather than when relying on a server, possibly located on an entirely different continent than you, and with no guarantee that you'll be able to maintain a stable connection between you and it?

You know what game worked for pretty much everyone's preferred method of play? Diablo 2. Why is it so hard for developers to match what worked fine over a decade ago?

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
XenoScifi said:

What don't you get? That other people want different things than you, or that playing a game single player is objectively better when all the resources involved are on hard disk rather than when relying on a server, possibly located on an entirely different continent than you, and with no guarantee that you'll be able to maintain a stable connection between you and it?

You know what game worked for pretty much everyone's preferred method of play? Diablo 2. Why is it so hard for developers to match what worked fine over a decade ago?
I feel like you are attacking me for asking a question. I legit had no idea why people want an online coop dungeon crawler as a single player offline mode. I wasn't asking the question to put my personal preference ahead of others wants, but rather just curious as to why. I understand and feel all the resource management could have been handled way better on Blizzards part. Leaving so much resource to be processed server side in hindsight is a horrible idea. So I guess it's just possible people want to play offline by themselves? That to me just feels odd, considering D3 is not (in my opinion) a good single player game at all, and only "just gets by" with online play with others.

I also cannot remember any time I played D2 offline single player either, which might lead to most of my confusion.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I still have fun with D3 from time to time. I enjoy it, but I have crappy luck with RNG (though I did get a ballin' Enchantress Focus the other night - lets her use ALL of her skills) and Pub groups aren't terribly fun, so I don't make much progress and haven't been too driven to level my Hardcore characters.