Take a Murdering Tour Through Assassin's Creed III's Boston

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Take a Murdering Tour Through Assassin's Creed III's Boston

From Red Sox to Redcoats. (Who get stabbed.)

The makers of Assassin's Creed III have long talked up how protagonist Connor's adventures would take him out into the Frontier - the undeveloped parts of colonial-era America - but the series isn't abandoning its traditional bustling cities and rooftop free-running. In this 6-minute video from San Diego Comic-Con, AC3 creative director Alex Hutchinson takes Connor on a killing spree through Boston, circa 1775.

The standard running-jumping-climbing-(trees)-killing gameplay that fans of the series have come to know and love is all there, though this video does a good job at showing some of the new features. Connor can hide in thick bushes inside the city itself, swing from monkey bars, and even run through the interiors of buildings to escape pursuit. He also has some new gadgets, like a bow and arrow and a nasty looking rope dart, which he uses to string an unlucky British soldier up to distract his comrades.

The video also demonstrates some of the new combat options. Connor's default fighting style has him dual-wielding tomahawks, and he proves himself absolutely vicious in a fight. As with other games, he's capable of picking up weapons from downed foes - and while I'm not going to spoil it, there's something he does with a musket that made me actually exclaim out loud.

We called the death of five Bostonians at the hands of the British a massacre [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Massacre], but this is an absolute slaughter.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i like the idea of making the combat more about quickly dispatching a lot of enemies in a row since it's not waiting and blocking and for some reason i always thought an assassin might be interested in taking out people as fast as possible.

and i hope that this will be more challanging than the past games which should be easy to do since the mast majority of enemies should carry guns and thus just attempt to shoot you instead of rushing in to be killed on at a time.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I am buying every previous Assassin's Creed game right now in preparation for this game.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Blending of any variety is a joke at this point, considering the protagonist sticks out of the common dresscode like a sore thumb - more so than ever.
Otherwise, very nice. And damn, Funk, you weren't joking about that musket kill!

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Hmmm... so they're now using the Batman health system, more stealth systems, and varieties of enemies that actually require a different approach than the weaker ones this time. I was wondering how they were going to make the game challenging again after Brotherhood's execution streak system, and it looks like they figured it out.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Looks awesome. Better combat, more assassinations and move vaired ways to interact with the enviroment. Still getting a fuck britain feel and I still want to know how a son of a Mohawk and a british solider ends up with the Patriots. So still not buying untill I get some detail on how the game isn't completely biased against Britain or an escapist review convinces me otherwise.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Blazing Steel said:
Looks awesome. Better combat, more assassinations and move vaired ways to interact with the enviroment. Still getting a fuck britain feel and I still want to know how a son of a Mohawk and a british solider ends up with the Patriots. So still not buying untill I get some detail on how the game isn't completely biased against Britain or an escapist review convinces me otherwise.

Surly its bias is irrelevant? We were absolute dicks during the 1700's so I see no problem with redcoats being killed, besides they're said that neither side are "good guys" and "bad guys" so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hell I'm pretty sure one of my relatives was at the colonies and was killed in the revolution.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Yeah, everyone's made this joke already but it bears repeating at least until the game itself comes out.

<youtube=PTcVNuNX8yY>

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Gabanuka said:
Blazing Steel said:

Surly its bias is irrelevant? We were absolute dicks during the 1700's so I see no problem with redcoats being killed, besides they're said that neither side are "good guys" and "bad guys" so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hell I'm pretty sure one of my relatives was at the colonies and was killed in the revolution.
Nope, it's relevant because both sides were dicks of equal magnitude, so they should be shown equally insted of 'American fuck yeah'. If ubisoft had no intension of showing the sides equally, they shouldn't have said they would.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
There's already been multiple threads on the whole jingoism-feel, and I just can't be bothered to reiterate my points yet again, so I'll stick to the gameplay (as it's the reason I'll probably buy this game as soon as I get the cash for it anyways, even with my concerns about the plot).

It's probably a good thing that the world is more dynamic, it certainly seems to have worked here (though of course, they're not likely to show us any examples of mechanics they feel don't work...), and I also like the fact that there's cover you can move through. I also like that you can recruit helpers, but I really hope they've toned down the management mini-game, that thing is really not my favourite part of the series...
It's probably also a good thing that they've removed the medicine, so that you'll have to try to avoid massive combat during missions. You're supposed to assassinate, not go haywire. (Though as my kill-count in all the previous games demonstrates, that's not always my police while playing...)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Ooh, Hessians.

This guy must have pretty thick shoulder pads to deflect a bayonet.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Lol. Neutral stance, same amount of killing to both Reds and Blues, my ass. Guess this will become a red-killing sim. Nothing wrong with that, just misleading to tell us otherwise, I guess.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
As an Englishman, people complaining about the guards should get over it, considering that they seem to be the typical police force in this game (they do own the colonies after all). Aside from that, why exactly would reds and blues be in the same place and not fighting?

That musket thing was awesome though, i'm going to like that.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well, that clears up all the concerns I had with this. My wallet shall be drained.

Vkmies said:
Lol. Neutral stance, same amount of killing to both Reds and Blues, my ass. Guess this will become a red-killing sim. Nothing wrong with that, just misleading to tell us otherwise, I guess.
By my count it was Reds killed 19, Blues killed 0.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Blazing Steel said:
Nope, it's relevant because both sides were dicks of equal magnitude, so they should be shown equally insted of 'American fuck yeah'. If ubisoft had no intension of showing the sides equally, they shouldn't have said they would.
The problem is it's the marketing department telling them what videos to make from the game. They're worried about a backlash like Medal of Honour got so are playing down the dead Americans angle. The guys who actually made the game are getting pissed off about being asked about the game being biased as they can't give away details to support their claim without spoiling it.

Of course that's just what they're saying, we'll see when it comes out.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Gameplay looks great, I love stealth games, and might check it out (depending on whatever DRM Ubisoft decide to cram into it)

I've kinda given up on the whole killing British v. American troops debate though, it's most likely just the marketing division being pricks, and while I would hate for them to basicially deify the colonists during American Revolution in the game there's no way of knowing whether that is the case until it comes out (although showing a side mission of "Help, them dastardly Redcoats have trapped that poor man in the stocks" isn't doing them any favours)