Take Sombra For a Spin Right Now on Overwatch's Public Test Realm

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Take Sombra For a Spin Right Now on Overwatch's Public Test Realm

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1360/1360594.jpg
You can give Overwatch's latest hero: Sombra, a test-drive on the game's PTR right now.

While Blizzard still hasn't let us know when public test realm [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168769-Overwatch-Sombra-Officially-Revealed#&gid=gallery_6606&pid=1]. To participate, simply select "PTR: Overwatch" from the drop-down REGION / ACCOUNT menu in the battle.net browser.

While Sombra is of course the highlight of this PTR, it also comes with a number of additional features. "The Arcade", which allows players to participate in special rule subsets such 1-on-1 duels, 3-vs-3 skirmishes, or "no hero switching," is also included, as is the Arcade-exclusive new map: Ecopoint: Antarctica.

As here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168658-Overwatch-PTR-Patch-Much-More-Signifigant].

Lastly, a few "quality-of-life" changes are being tested out on the PTR that everyone should rejoice in. First up, the amount of experience needed to reach levels 14 through 100 has been slightly reduced, the amount of experience needed to reach levels after 100 is now constant (20,000 XP) and will no longer reset after each promotion, and last and most certainly not least, Quick Play games will also be restricted to one-hero per team, just like in competitive.

You can check out the full PTR patch notes here [https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20335231].

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
First impressions are...lukewarm.

Sombra has a distinct lack of killing power. While very good at flanking around and escaping fights, she has difficulty winning duels with a fair chunk of the cast. She has to get the drop on a target and Hack them in order to stand a chance. She plays much like Tracer, but trades offense for utility.

She's also fairly good at chasing down and eliminating stragglers, and her EMP is a great way to start a fight for your team. But, like Ana, she is utterly reliant on her team to be effective. Sombra can create an opening by Hacking a key target, but it's up to her team to capitalize.

Sombra is really interesting. I imagine she will eventually find a place in the meta; it remains to be seen how long it will take, and who she will push out. Maybe she'll be played in place of a support?

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:

Sombra has a distinct lack of killing power. While very good at flanking around and escaping fights, she has difficulty winning duels with a fair chunk of the cast. She has to get the drop on a target and Hack them in order to stand a chance. She plays much like Tracer, but trades offense for utility.

She's also fairly good at chasing down and eliminating stragglers, and her EMP is a great way to start a fight for your team. But, like Ana, she is utterly reliant on her team to be effective. Sombra can create an opening by Hacking a key target, but it's up to her team to capitalize.

Sombra is really interesting. I imagine she will eventually find a place in the meta; it remains to be seen how long it will take, and who she will push out. Maybe she'll be played in place of a support?
The meta right now heavily favors shields from Zayra and Reinhart. A sombra hacking a reinhart that's pushing the objective is a massive swing move.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:

Without having really tried her, I don't think she's supposed to be a 1v1 killing machine or harasser like Genji or Tracer where they pop in and start chipping off your health in bursts.

I think her best purpose is to initiate team fights when both teams are sitting there poking at one another. Her ability to get a quick kill on a wounded target, hack another opponent and have the team push in is unmatched as she can basically take two people out of the fight. Then during the team fight it's her job to eliminate wounded targets who are trying to make a run for it.

She just doesn't have enough burst for duels which really doesn't seem to be her purpose. I think she's going to be the anti-meta hero who's really going to reward strong team play and call outs.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Quick play is now one hero per team.

Great, well I guess I can say goodbye to actually being able to try her, and actually being able to not play the healer for once.

Woohoo.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
zidine100 said:
Quick play is now one hero per team.

Great, well I guess I can say goodbye to actually being able to try her, and actually being able to not play the healer for once.

Woohoo.
They have a mode that has hero stacking.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
SlumlordThanatos said:
Maybe she'll be played in place of a support?
That could actually work.

On defense she could hack all the health packs in the vicinity of the point, and that would provide ample healing to her teammates (and deny the enemy the use of them). Then you'd only need a single healer.

Then again, playing Sombra on defense is probably a waste. And on attack, the above strategy of mine would be more difficult to pull off.