Take-Two Condemns Australian Retailer's Decision to Ban GTA V

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Honestly? It's stupid that they are not stocking a product on their shelves over a deceitful petition but that is fine. They want to lose a handful of sales over the holidays to look better in a publicity stunt like this? Cool. They look wholesome and it won't really touch their bottom line. Also, lets face it. There was no punch to the wallet of Take 2. It is barely even a feathering touch to them.

As to the issue, it is a thing that you can do that seems to have more to do that you can pretty much kill anyone you want in the game rather than "KILL HOOKER FOR REFUND". While it might sadden their demographic slightly, They should toss a few male hookers in and then have a female protagonist who is just as ruthless, disgusting, and hideous as their normal male ones. At least then we can hear a different complaint running around so we aren't on this damn broken record again.

Come on Rockstar(Yeah, I know you aren't reading it.)! Make a female lead and have her torture someone and kill a bunch of guys! It will either land in controversy of portraying females negatively in games again(Go figure), or they will be smug and act like nothing is wrong when all that was changed were genders, leaving you with a sense of superiority that they are nothing more than a bunch of hypocrites.

Please note I am all for equal rights, having a nice even playing field for everyone and judging purely on skill and a person themselves, but that means you have to take the downsides of that along with the upsides.

tl;dr

Who cares? Non-issue is a non-issue and the actual problems (Australian government stance towards games, and real female representation in games) are ignored.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
I would love to see how many copies of GTA V Target and K-mart sold "before" they finally "saw the light" or whatever it is they did. They made their money, now they get to look like good guys by pulling it when chances are, the bulk of their sales are already made, and now they get to look good to another subset of their customers without really hurting their own bottom line.

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
I'll be honest.

I was hoping for them to just place a self-embargo against Australia and not send any games to them anymore. That'll show 'em to take that baseball bat of a stick outta their rear ends.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I've said it before, and I wish to reiterate with an additional response to T2's statement:

I don't know if it flies in the face of a free society, but it certainly is disingenuous to pull the game after its already made Target Australia money. If they (Target Australia) were honest enough, they'd have declined to carry the game initially. Its not as if we've already had 10 years of people downing on the GTA franchise for basically the same reason, so its not as if they didn't know. No, its just a poorly timed PR ploy.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Guys guys guys!!! All this arguing and yet none of you have even thought about the true victims in all this! The poor poor souls who this latest GTA issue will harm!!!

The poor, mislead misogynists will go out and buy this game and when they realise it's not a woman murder simulator they'll be devastated! Those poor poor people!

Edit: On a serious note though I wonder if they'll lift this 'ban' for the next GTA and redo it after whatever sales they could make are over? Only time will tell I guess.