Take Two screws over Kerbal Space Program 2 devs(and possibly the game itself)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

TL: DR(or just those who don't want to visit FORBES)

Take two was publishing KSP2 for Dev Star Theory and there were some kind of contract negioations underway that fell through. In response, Take Two opened their own studio for the game and poached a bunch of the employees so they could shutter Star Theory. KSP2 is still in Dev but has been delayed to 2021. The Original KSP is still being updated by Squad, it's original devs and exists independent of this.

Jim Sterling also had a take on this.

So yeah, kinda shitty. It's likely to have detrimental effect on KSP2 and honestly makes me not want to give Take Two money when it does come out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I heard about it on the weekend. I rarely bought anything from Take Two, and I won't now or ever. Crap like this is why I do no bother with most AAA studios anymore.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, its Take Two.

They must have a better PR team, but any analysis of their track records makes EA and Activision look good by comparison.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
To play devil advocate, it's not like the employee were forced to switch to take two, they chose to do so. For all we know, maybe star theory just couldn't pay the employee (hence why they were forced to consider selling the company) but didn't like take two offer so they refused but the employee decided to jump ship when giving the option. I don't see over half the employee quitting without some reasons.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
IIRC, the original KSP saw a lot of bad blood between the developer and the staff due to very poor treatment of staff, so I'm not sure we can rely on potential purchasers to back up the little guy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
IIRC, the original KSP saw a lot of bad blood between the developer and the staff due to very poor treatment of staff, so I'm not sure we can rely on potential purchasers to back up the little guy.
I did not know about this. Do you know where I can get more info on that?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'd forgotten about that, honestly. It happened and eventually the news faded away because unlike EA or others, it wasn't recurring every other month or so.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'd forgotten about that, honestly. It happened and eventually the news faded away because unlike EA or others, it wasn't recurring every other month or so.
Yeah, I didn't hear about it until a long time after I'd bought KSP, and it was really disappointing because (a) I was so into the game and (b) it's totally against the feel of the game, so it kind of stuck in my mind.