Take-Two Signs BioShock Movie Deal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take-Two Signs BioShock Movie Deal

Pirates of the Caribbean [http://www.take2games.com] director Gore Verbinski at the helm.

Halo [http://www.universalstudios.com/]. But Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick said the deal is structured to ensure the movie actually gets made, unlike the Halo project which is currently stuck in limbo.

Zelnick also put his experience as a past president of Fox to negotiate the deal directly, rather than use a producer. "One of the things we decided early on is that we didn't want to go through a producer," Zelnick said. "It's terribly important to us to have a meaningful influence on how this project is produced. We didn't want any insulation between us."

The script is being handled by Verbinski [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517589/]expressed particular enthusiasm for the game's potential as a movie adaptation, and said he hoped to begin preproduction on the movie as soon as the script is ready. "I think the whole utopia-gone-wrong story that's cleverly unveiled to players is just brimming with cinematic potential," he said. "Of all the games I've played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative."

Despite the strength of cinematic franchises like Manhunt [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv], BioShock is Take-Two's first-ever movie deal. No release schedule has been announced, although it will be "almost certainly" sometime after the launch of the BioShock sequel, currently slated for 2009.

Jeroen Stout

Aug 1, 2006
Hm. This makes movies look like a wank-off, really, they keep deriving from books and games. Do they ever make anything on their own? They rip off themepark-rides, even.

nightfish

Nov 7, 2007
This story has already got a good reception mainly in another thread. I think its going to be quite quirky with Verbinski in charge.

Nov 28, 2007
Jeroen Stout said:
Hm. This makes movies look like a wank-off, really, they keep deriving from books and games. Do they ever make anything on their own? They rip off themepark-rides, even.
Hey, POTC was good. Haunted Mansion...not so much.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
When movies are announced based on games I usually cringe, but with an unusually good team behind it and the amazing story behind Bioshock, I think they might actually pull it off..

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
This should hopefully not suck. There's definetly potental. I wonder if it will be pre, or post, or during the break down... I'm hoping during the break down to give you some more background. Maybe it'll follow atlas up until he finds the player?

ArielBimBa

Mar 6, 2008
Galaxy613 said:
This should hopefully not suck. There's definetly potental. I wonder if it will be pre, or post, or during the break down... I'm hoping during the break down to give you some more background. Maybe it'll follow atlas up until he finds the player?
I'm pretty sure it will be based on the game's plot,not a pre- or post- or something like that.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Well, I'm not having to much hopes for this. Movie based of games, intend to get fucked up and shitty, and with all the movies that have bein mayed so far (Except for Silent Hill wich was pretty sweet actually), I dought that Bioshock movie will be any different, they'll probably re-write the story, and cut out some of the charachters, plus adding some kind of girl that the main heroe will have to save and shit

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
Well, at least it's not going to be by Uwe Boll, that's a good start. Now if they can just avoid casting The Rock in it, we might be able to get a movie that's watchable.

Of course, my taste in movies is such that I enjoy a "good" B movie, so maybe I'll find it easier to like than the average person.

Najal

Apr 12, 2008
might be okay i guess. At least its not a long running series of games like Halo or Zelda. Somehow theres less to spoil in a bioshock movie.

cautious optimism from me at least. Would like to see it set during the events prior to the game, before the shit hit the fan so to speak. Lots of potentially cinematic politics between ryan and fontaine etc etc.

Red Leader

May 9, 2008
I can see it now, opening credits start with the voices of Fontaine and Ryan swaying the public in each of their favors, then bam! Everything starts going wrong. Maybe you hear a baby crying? A drill? The sounds fade out, and the starting scene opens with the main character on the plain. Damn, I can't wait.

InsoFox

Apr 18, 2008
Well, as long as they don't go for a straight adaption. They'll need to find ways of getting more characters involved but if they nail the visual style and turn it into something believable for the screen, it could be great.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
The day after my birthday, in which Bioshock was a present, they announce the movie.

Hope that it's good, and goes for the morality/philosophy without being to cheesy.

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
Isn't making a movie, (essentially a narrative) of bioshock a bit redundant? The story's already there, the atmosphere, and moral choices, they have everything but a protagonist that, you know. . .TALKS.

Johnnyweird

May 7, 2008
I think this is fantastic.
The guy wrote The Aviator for christ's sake, I'm sure this will be good.
At least somewhat. Which would be enough for me to see it.

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
Shiny.

However, it might be a bit difficult to make it without the film seeming rushed. However, maybe it's a pre/sequel or something.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Dr. Evil said:
I can hear Uwe Boll crying because of this. But it's not enough. I want to hear him scream.
You mean you didn't hear him scream when Stride gum announced that if you sign that petition you'll get a free pack?