Take Your First Look at Soul Calibur V

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Take Your First Look at Soul Calibur V

Hack into scantily dressed woman, pirates and whatever the hell Voldo is when Soul Calibur V arrives next year.

Ever since Namco fans and the press stumbled upon a mysterious countdown clock on Namco's website, two weeks ago, it's been assumed that a new Soul Calibur would be announced -- and, so it has!

[video=3195]

At Namco Bandai's "Step up Dubai 2011" event, producer Hisaharu Tago unveiled the title and played a teaser trailer for press. The worn book shown at the beginning of the trailer looks identical to the one shown on the teaser site [http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/beginning_of_the_new_chapter/index.html], so it's assumed that the teaser site will feed into this announcement -- rather than be a new entry in the Tales series as some hoped. However, the countdown clock hasn't ended yet and there could still be a surprise at the end (if there is, expect an update here).

Game director Daishi Odashima, who answered fan's questions via Twitter, said the development team is focused on improving the story mode. The story is set 17 years after the events of Soul Calibur IV and will revolve around a new character, Patroklos. Odashima recently posted a sketch of the character [http://twitpic.com/4w7me6].

There will also be changes to gameplay, Tago said in a recent Eurogamer interview.

"Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous - you don't need to wait as much between moves," Tago said. "There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

It remains to be seen how a new 3D fighter (that controls in a 3D space) will be received after the recent trend of fighters going back to their roots. After all, the last Soul Calibur came out before Super Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue were released. With the recent popularity of the new Mortal Kombat and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, it doesn't seem like people are tired of them yet, either.

As a fan of the original Dreamcast release and slightly less of a fan of everything going forward, I'm excited to see what Namco can do with Soul Calibur V after a four-year break in the series.

Expect more details on the game at E3 next month.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-first-soulcalibur-v-details]

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The gameplay of SC series has always been good. They are just being silly acting like they have a story that isn't completely confusing and muddled.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Tekken 6 didn't do too bad though.

I'm all for more fighting games, but like Mortal Kombat, the Soul team has a lot to prove after Soul Calibur IV.

NuSix3

Jan 7, 2011
SCIV was probably the best fighting game to come out in ten years. Not sure why people are hating on it...

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Well that was terrible lip syncing. I do like Soul Caliber though, less for the story and more for the actual fighting which I like alot more than Street Fighter, Tekken etc.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Sounds like good news I can only hope this time round Li Long gets his own move set (Duel wielded bladed Nunchaku ftw)

Apr 28, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Well, the most I'm hoping for is a removal of the stats attached to custom character gear, if that system returns. I hate making my own characters look the way I want, and end up with half a bar of health, low defense, and crap like that. It kind of defeats the purpose, to me at least, of even having a customization system.

Though, how the hell are they going to continue the story again is a big question too... I mean god, we killed a guy who pretty much was the embodiment of the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur, what's next?
Yeah, the customization was rather screwy. It had a decent selection of stuff, but all the damn effects attached to each item were a pain in the ass.

OT: Sweet. Always liked the Soul Calibur games. Not sure why, but they're just fun as hell to play.

Also, please let character creation return, and not have pain-in-the-ass limitations attached...

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
allistairp said:
Game director Daishi Odashima, who answered fan's questions via Twitter, said the development team is focused on improving the story mode. The story is set 17 years after the events of Soul Calibur IV and will revolve around a new character, Patroklos.
Looks like someone's been reading the Iliad.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
As long as they are keeping the skimpy outfits character creater and customasation options, I will be happy.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Abuduhdkafhequfuheqb WHAT! AHHHHHHHH! I'm excited as all hell! YAY! :) ....... Wait, 17 years after Soul Calibur 4? ............. OMG! If any other old characters come back they will be old! Ivy and Raphael would be 49, Mitsurigi and Taki would be 46, Cassandra would be 38 and Talim would be 32! I mean sure Tekken's Nina Williams doesn't look old but I don't like old characters who look old. Anyway, still excited for it.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Yes! Ye- Actually...

Admittedly, I did trade-in SC IV, but only after I'd clocked a good 100 hours on it.

Looking forward to this, very much.

Edit: Actually, I just realised that they've use the same awesome voice-over guy for every game since SC II. Shweet.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Hopefully this game will be better than SCIV - though to be honest a lot of my experience with SCIV was marred by the fact that I got the 360 version, and trying to play a fighter with the 360's shitty d-pad sucks. This time around I'll be able to get the PS3 version, which will be much more playable.

That said I also thought SCIV's various modes were a step back from SCIII's - hopefully they'll do better this time around.

Also if the game is going to be set 17 years down the road and feature Sophitia's son as the main character what does this mean for the rest of the cast? I'm going to be sad if I lose Sophitia as my main

... well ok, that isn't entirely true, Kilik is my best character - but all my friends just get pissed at me for using him, so I picked up Sophitia I ended up using Sophitia more often.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Hah! I was wondering if they were ever going to make Soul Calibur Five not ten hours ago!

That said, main character some blonde prettyboy? Not liking that. needs more grumpy Tira.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Well, the most I'm hoping for is a removal of the stats attached to custom character gear, if that system returns. I hate making my own characters look the way I want, and end up with half a bar of health, low defense, and crap like that. It kind of defeats the purpose, to me at least, of even having a customization system.
Yeah, that would be a very nice improvement. It would be nice to see the unique movesets for custom characters from III make a comeback too. I'm one of the few who actually thinks III was the best game of the series. IV was fun, but it just felt like they made the biggest error I think any development team can make, IMO: removing gameplay elements and customization options for shinier graphics. I would rather make a decent-looking character who can pull off some killer unique moves than play a really pretty Sophitia clone. Without unique movesets, creating your own character in a fighting game just kinda loses... well... character.

And how about bringing back Weapon Master mode while they're at it? To me, that was the most fun and interesting way to present the story. Not that story is really all that important in a fighting game.

rockoffanddie

Apr 8, 2009
Soul calibur has always been my favourite fighting series, but SC4 dropped the ball a bit with it's almost complete lack of single player, and character creation which involved reskinning an existing character in crap ways to avoid being punished with terrible stats. If they solve these problems then this game will be awesome.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Still waiting for Namco Bandai to sodding release the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia. I know it's been years, but come on! I'm still waiting! :(