Talents you wish you had.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Just any talent would do :(

I did have a very sweet singing voice but that's gone over the years. If I had taken up lessons and kept at it then I'd be very good by now.

I want to play an instrument but I can't read music at all.
My hands are too small to fit round a guitar and most instruments. ;~;

The only talent I sorta maybe have is baking and even then I cock that up quite a lot and it doesn't look nearly as good as other peoples work.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Knows_Nothing said:
It seems most people here want to sing or play an instrument, but I've got those basically down. Mine is a bit more... childish, shall we say? I wish I could sword fight. Maybe take up fencing or something I don't know, but for some silly reason I am really bummed that there isn't a real opportunity for me to properly learn how to handle a sword.
Nothing childish about it all. It's a real shame that there are probably only a few places in the world where you can learn proper sword fighting. I always walk around imagining myself as the most badass sword fighter ever. You are definitely not alone there.

Edit: what I find strange is that you're able to carry around a loaded gun, but one can't carry around a sword. It's just so strange.

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
I kinda always wanted to be more flexible. Like do the splits or something. I have all the elasticity of an oak tree.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
OP, I mirror your desire and I wish I could draw well. Every time I see a deviation on DeviantArt that makes me go wow, I automatically think "I wish I could draw like that". I'd be drawing all day if I could do it well.

Another desire of mine is to be able to socialize well. If the conversation isn't about fighting game characters or comic books or geeky stuff like that, then my social skills (what extremely tiny amount there is, anyway) go completely out the window. It's even worse when I'm around the opposite gender. I'm amazed that I even managed to get AND KEEP a girlfriend.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
krazykidd said:
So my question is :what are some talents that you wish you had?

And as a bonus question: what talents do you actually have, to make up for the ones you don't?
Are we counting the ability to find work as a talent? If so then that x1000. If not then I guess I wish I had the time and money to hone the few things that I'm good at that I also enjoy (BJJ and fighting games) to a nationally or internationally competitive level.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
krazykidd said:
So my question is :what are some talents that you wish you had?
Wish I could draw better actually. I will acknowledge that I have some skill, but I would say that I'm shockingly behind in industry standards.

Appart from that I wish that I was better with technology, trying to set up an idiot proof modem now, and I'm still having troubles. My knowledge is surface level at best.

krazykidd said:
And as a bonus question: what talents do you actually have, to make up for the ones you don't?
Being able to draw at all, I geuss. Don't know if it's a talent, skill, or what, but I can clearly visualise something in my head without having to put it down on paper before I can figure out if it looks good or not. Helps with the drawing and concepting.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Talents I'd like to have...

I wish I could sing/voice act or I had a natural talent for mathematics. Or both XD.

Talents I already have...

Well I have a pretty good poker face I think. Not that I play poker anyways, or anything that shows my face.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I am fairly proficient at piano but I wish I could play multiple instruments (guitar, drums, violin, saxophone, flute etc.)...piano is enough I suppose.

I wish I could even play by ear...it takes me months to learn a song, if only I could just hear something and know how to play it.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
To not sugarcoat it, I have a LOT of talents.
I just won a lot of genetic lotteries or something.

But one whole wide category I'm utterly useless in is playing any sort of instruments.

I have tightly honed videogame skills.
Fingers with lightning coordination.
Fingers capable of unusually powerful grip.
Fingers capable of artistic skill to paint images less than a square centimeter in size.
Phenomenal spatial awareness and reaction time.

.....but for all that my hands can do....they simply CAN NOT play an instrument more complex than the triangle or bongos.
It's crazy frustrating sometimes.

It's like everything I CAN do ensures that my brain is wired in exactly the way to best contradict the logic behind instruments.

I'm straight-up like Fry in "The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings" when it comes to instruments. "stupid fingers"
Except Fry is probably better.
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/futurama-episode-418-the-devils-hands-are-idle-playthings

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I wish i had a talent to clearly and simply articulate my thoughs. Most people misunderstand me due to my lack of ability to express my thoughts.
I compensate this by scrutinizing my explanations to the level of bringing it down to basics, which most people hate actually.

Id also like to be interesting. you know, the level of interesting that makes people watch livestreams. because looking at a grumpy guy playing games in silence wont work you know.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
Talent(s) I wish I had .... hmmm. Public speaking, salesmanship, overall confidence, some good looks and a side of normal personality. Cyclothymia sucks, but thank the AI god for Lithium pills.

Talents I DO have .... a musician (expert level of playing drums/bass, can spin records/keep beats and sounds flowing near flawlessly, a back-up vocalist); great story and technical/critique writer, one hell of a silver tongue, and patience unrivaled.